Xavier Darkwell

Connecting pc to tv with raspberry pi

Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 am

How do I use a raspberry pi 3 as a Ethernet to hdmi converter.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Connecting pc to tv with raspberry pi

Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 am

Xavier Darkwell wrote:

What is the source of the Ethernet Stream ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Xavier Darkwell

Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 pm

My Computer.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 pm
My Computer.

Very informative :roll:
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

B.Goode

Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:

Another try at getting useful information on which to base a sensible reply -

So the RPi is going to be some sort of Man-in-the-middle adaptor.

It will have to output HDMI towards the display. No problem, that is built-in to the RPi hardware.

It will have to accept some input via the Ethernet port on the RPi. The RPi3 has a built-in Ethernet port.

The big unknown is - how is the video signal you wish to display encoded or represented by the sequence of Ethernet frames being transmitted over the network?

I think that might have been what my fellow volunteer was trying to determine...
Last edited by B.Goode on Mon May 28, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z80 Refugee

Mon May 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:
We don't know what you want to do; we're not mind readers.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

Xavier Darkwell

Mon May 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I have the Pc connected to the raspberry pi with an Ethernet cable. The raspberry pi is connected to the tv with an hdmi cable. I'm trying to use this method to use my tv as a monitor since my vga cable is broken.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

I have the Pc connected to the raspberry pi with an Ethernet cable. The raspberry pi is connected to the tv with an hdmi cable. I'm trying to use this method to use my tv as a monitor since my vga cable is broken.
you gave not much more info, but it seems to be a very "naive" question.

If you simply want all video that would appear on the PC's screen to be displayed on the screen of the PC, then there is various "remote use" software available. (realVNC is one of them, that is popular for the PI). This relies on some software running on the PC, so we need to know which OS is running on the PC.

Note that if you really mean TV, as in old fashioned composite device, then the resolution of what you get to see will be very poor, or you will only see a small part of the computers screen.

B.Goode

Mon May 28, 2018 12:31 pm

What Operating System is running on the PC?

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:21 pm

RealVNC should suffice to view your PC Desktop in Raspbian Stretch with Desktop Operating System on your RPi 3B:

https://www.realvnc.com/en/

Xavier Darkwell

Mon May 28, 2018 4:49 pm

So remote software is required? I was wondering if I could program the raspberry pi to be a Ethernet to hdmi video converter.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2018 4:53 pm

That is what realVNC does, but how do you think your PC knows how to send its video output to an Ethernet port instead of to the video card.
Magic?

you need software running both on the PC, and on the PI. That software (both instances) is called "VNC" or "virtual network computing", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

for the PI a version of VNC is popular that is called realVNC.

Z80 Refugee

Mon May 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:
I was wondering if I could program the raspberry pi to be a Ethernet to hdmi video converter.
No. First of all, you would need to find a way to make the PC output its video to Ethernet.

Your best bet is to use a Remote Desktop, but how do you propose to set anything up on the PC? Just get a new cable.

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

drgeoff

Mon May 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Xavier Darkwell wrote:
So remote software is required? I was wondering if I could program the raspberry pi to be a Ethernet to hdmi video converter.
You cannot program a RPi or anything else to be an "ethernet to HDMI converter" because there is no such thing as an ethernet to HDMI converter.

If you feed a suitable video signal into a RPI over an ethernet connection, the RPi can manipulate/process the video signal and forward it over an HDMI connection to a display. However you also need some means on your PC to put the video signal into ethernet packets.

Z80 Refugee

Mon May 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Here's a solution (but not via Ethernet or an RPi):

USB to HDMI Video Adapter

This uses Windows' built-in ability to use USB-connected video adapters alongside the PC's own video adapter. There is no such ability to do this over Ethernet, although there are solutions which provide remote desktops (ie functioning as a screen and keyboard from another computing device connected over the network or the Internet, using extra software such as VNC or Team Viewer).

Alternatively, replace your PC's video card with one that has HDMI output. Or just replace the broken VGA cable.

drgeoff

Mon May 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Or just replace the broken VGA cable.
The simplest, easiest and least expensive method. And it will not introduce additional jerkiness which the VNC and other remote desktop methods could.

Return to “General discussion”