Yotaphoner

Install adb newer than 1.0.31

Sun May 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi! I am struggling to install an updated adb version. I had the 1.0.31 installed, probably from xda but I am not sure, and need a newer one because I am trying to flash a rom to a TWRP loader which ask me for at least the 1.0.32.

I surfed internet and tryied a lot of things, but maybe because my not deep linux knowledge I am not achieving it. Let's list some options I tried:

1- XDA: https://www.xda-developers.com/install- ... cos-linux/
I downloaded it and placed the terminal in the folder where the packet is and typed "adb", "sudo adb" and "adb devices", but the answer I have is "incorrect executable format" I tried to change the adb archive I download with the one I have installed of my old adb installation with "sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb" and then "sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/adb", but a similar error appear

2- https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-t ... rivers-pc/
The same than before

3- FROM DEBIAN: https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/a ... b/download
I installed synaptic and added the repository but I had a problem with the GPG signature so I trid to manually install it with the terminal. I writed "sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb" and now the problem is it seems I messed too much with the packets. It says something about dependencies, or through synaptic it seems they are "broken paquets", and I can't fix them with synaptic.

So now I am worst than before, because I have something wrong in my linux.... I am really tired of that hell of errors!! Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

drgeoff

Re: Install adb newer than 1.0.31

Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 am

What you downloaded in 1 and 2 run on x86 machines.

You do not say what OS you tried to use 3 with but Raspbian is a 32 bit OS, not arm64.

Yotaphoner

Mon May 21, 2018 1:55 am

Aaahh.... of course! How can't I figured it out by myself?

Reading in "internet" I arrived at the conclusion that I can only get a updated adb from the android SDK, so I went to the official page and downloaded the "command line tools only" version for Linux. But if I open it I don't see any adb anywhere. Despite that, now I understand that this it's neither the ARM version I need.

Where I have to go to download the arm version?

Despite all of that, I have to struggle with the situation where I have broken packets and I need to fix it before install anything. ANy suggestion?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 am

Yotaphoner wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:55 am
Aaahh.... of course! How can't I figured it out by myself?

Reading in "internet" I arrived at the conclusion that I can only get a updated adb from the android SDK, so I went to the official page and downloaded the "command line tools only" version for Linux. But if I open it I don't see any adb anywhere. Despite that, now I understand that this it's neither the ARM version I need.

Where I have to go to download the arm version?

Despite all of that, I have to struggle with the situation where I have broken packets and I need to fix it before install anything. ANy suggestion?

Thanks

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install adb android-sdk-platform-tools-common

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/and ... ols-common

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/adb

Though if want newer packages change you Sources to Testing, undertake above then change the back to Stretch...
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Yotaphoner

Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I achieved to learn how to fix the broken paquet thing. Today I learned a lot about apt and dpkg!!

@fruitoftheloom , thanks for the links, but the one of the "adb" it has multiple choisses of architecture. Should I choos the "armel" or "armhf". The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.

rpdom

Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Yotaphoner wrote:
The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.
There is such a package.

Code: Select all

pi@raspi1:~ $ sudo apt-get install adb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  android-libadb android-libbase android-libcutils android-liblog
Recommended packages:
  android-sdk-platform-tools-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  adb android-libadb android-libbase android-libcutils android-liblog
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 194 kB of archives.
After this operation, 558 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Have you done sudo apt-get update before trying the install?

Are you running the latest Raspbian?

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Yotaphoner wrote:
I achieved to learn how to fix the broken paquet thing. Today I learned a lot about apt and dpkg!!

@fruitoftheloom , thanks for the links, but the one of the "adb" it has multiple choisses of architecture. Should I choos the "armel" or "armhf". The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.

Using apt-get to install will install for the correct architecture, I am at a loss why you feel you have to choose !!!!!!

As above stated ADB is in Raspbian Stretch, if you are running a differing OS / Version now is the time to switch.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Yotaphoner

Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 am

With "sudo uname -a" the OS version I get is: Linux raspberrypi 4.9.35-v7+

I had make the "sudo apt-get update", but even with that the "adb" doesn't appear. To install adb I used "apt-get install android-tools-adb", but I get the 1.0.31 version, which is not enough recent for my purpose. @rpdom , which version do you have installed?

@fruitoftheloom , I thougth I had to choose an architecture because I thougth I had to download the package and manually install it, as it doesn't appear in my apt available packet list. Also, I have no idea if I have to update some system stuff or if I am using Raspbian strech or not.

rpdom

Wed May 23, 2018 4:45 am

The version of adb in Raspbian Stretch is 1.0.36

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 am

Yotaphoner wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 am
With "sudo uname -a" the OS version I get is: Linux raspberrypi 4.9.35-v7+

I had make the "sudo apt-get update", but even with that the "adb" doesn't appear. To install adb I used "apt-get install android-tools-adb", but I get the 1.0.31 version, which is not enough recent for my purpose. @rpdom , which version do you have installed?

@fruitoftheloom , I thougth I had to choose an architecture because I thougth I had to download the package and manually install it, as it doesn't appear in my apt available packet list. Also, I have no idea if I have to update some system stuff or if I am using Raspbian strech or not.

https://linuxconfig.org/check-what-debi ... nux-system
adieu

Yotaphoner

Thu May 24, 2018 2:07 am

I didn't know the was a newer version of Raspbian called Stretch. Even when you, rpdom, talk about stretch didn't thought it was a new OS version.

Well, finally, I did it. Just changed the repositories list link and installed adb 1.0.36. As always, I learned things about linux during this struggle.

Thanks to both for the help

Return to “Advanced users”