pderocco
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 am

I'm thinking about using a CM3 in a project, but it needs WiFi. Apparently, the RPi 3B has a BCM43143 WiFi chip, but this doesn't appear to be readily available in modest quantities. And it is probably overkill, since I don't need an FM receiver, and I probably won't need Bluetooth. So what's the easiest WiFi chip with an SDIO interface that will work with a minimum of bother with the CM3? I'll probably be using Yocto to build a custom Linux, although any chip that works with Raspbian should be okay.

yaheath
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm

I can tell you one to avoid (at least for now). I've been trying to get an ATWILC1000 module working, but the driver support isn't there yet. There's a wilc1000 driver in drivers/staging but I wasn't able to get it to work (though it's being actively updated in the staging-next git repo). There's also an out-of-tree version published by Atmel but it doesn't build in 4.4 or 4.9.

I'll probably kick that one to the curb and look for something else.

One possibility is a USB based Wifi adapter. Since I plan on having a USB hub chip on my carrier board anyway I'll add a type-A jack and plug in one of the off-the-shelf tiny USB Wifi dongles.

mseth
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm

BUMP

Has anyone had any success finding a good option for this? Maybe something that also includes Bluetooth 4.0 (combo chip)

ifarkas
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Make it Bluetooth 5 LE + Wi-Fi with QCA4020 from Qualcomm.

InsertTitle
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Here's some good news for you I ended up looking into this for my own project and I came across the ESP-WROOM-32.

I've managed to fabricate the package/footprint part on Eagle if you're using eagle then I'll happily supply it for you to use.

Below is the schematic I did for mine.
You can power it using 3.3V or via a 5V to 3.3V convertor which is the design on the right hand side.
Connect CTS to GPIO39 & RTS to GPIO38 these are your data flow control pins should you wish to tell the device that you'd like to send/receive data from the pi/esp32
Connect RXD0 to GPIO15 & TXD0 to GPIO14 this is your UART Serial which connects directly into the CM3 as there is no need for a UART to USB Convertor atleast for my project I didn't need to use it and it simplifies the build down alot. However you're welcome to use one. The chip that is used for converting to USB is CP2102-QFN-P28. I've also made a footprint/package for this on eagle as well.
Image

jrychter
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 am
Contact: Website

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am

I've had good experiences with TI WiLink chips, connected via SDIO. They exist in the form of pre-certified modules from a number of vendors (I used a Jorjin WG7831DELF). WiLink8 chips will do WiFi and Bluetooth, in various bands, depending on the specific option you choose.

TI supplies Linux drivers, which work.
--J.
Founder at PartsBox: https://partsbox.io/ (keep track of your electronic components)

fishtrousers
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi jrychter,

The module you suggested sounds like what I'm looking for but I'm struggling to find the drivers. Can you point me at them? Thanks!

mkirk
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Does anyone know the interfaces (port pins) on the Pi 3B BCM2837 SoC for the Wifi/BT chip CYW43438 (was BCM43438)?

The part is CYW43438 (now Cypress) datasheet http://www.cypress.com/file/298076/download
and part is available from US distributors Arrow, DigiKey and Mouser.

So can this be wired to the CM3 to match the Pi3B? Is there a reference design/schematic?
I understand that this would require US FCC Part 15 certification for the RF transmitter.
Last edited by mkirk on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Westlake
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 am

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 pm

I understand it uses a UART channel (for BT) and the secondary SDIO Card interface

I believe these are the I/O pins related to the WiFi / BT on the RPi3

pin@p14 { function = "uart0"; termination = "no_pulling"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // TX uart0
pin@p15 { function = "uart0"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; }; // RX uart0
pin@p34 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p35 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p36 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p37 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p38 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p39 { function = "input"; termination = "pull_up"; drive_strength_mA = < 8 >; };
pin@p43 { function = "gp_clk"; termination = "pull_down"; }; // WIFI_CLK - Wifi 32kHz output

I have no direct experience - but this seems an educated guess - atleast a place to start.

Edit:-

Out of interest I've just probed a RPi3 PCB I have here and can confirm the above + an undocumented BT PCM Audio interface to the SoC

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvxiws83xvy3t ... s.JPG?dl=0

I've highlighted the relent connections + note the x4 extra BT PCM audiopath connections (not required for WiFi / BT).

There might be secondary connections such as Reset / PowerDown... I cannot be sure, but these are the main SoC interface connections.

User avatar
adun
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 am

We discussed this also here Which Wifi/Bluetooth chip does the RPi 3 model B integrates?
Soc:
=====
GPIO 32-33 UART0 for BT
GPIO 34-38 SD1 for Wifi
GPIO 42 GPCLK1 for Ethernet 25MHz output
GPIO 43 GPCLK2 for Wifi 32kHz output

Port Expander
=============
GPIO 128 BT_ON
GPIO 129 WL_ON

mkirk
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks to all for the great information!

JBDynamics
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Location: Denver, CO, USA

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 am

I read this thread and after much further research, I decided to use a Ti WiLink8 chipset. The Jorjin WG7831DELF module is no longer available for purchase in the USA, so I looked on Ti's website, and found a few other similar modules. I decided to use a Laird LSR TiWi-BLE module, part number 450-0064R (I get them on Tape and reel), it is a Ti WiLink 8 SiP on a board with gold fingers and a U.FL connector for the antenna. It has full FCC certification, and should not require additional FCC testing if paired with one of two antennas sold by Laird (part numbers 001-0010 for a 2dB IP67 waterproof 50Ω impedance antenna and 001-0001 for a non-waterproof 2dB 50Ω impedance antenna). I can say that the Ti WiLink8 Kernel module can cross-compile for ARMv8 with Raspbian Kernel v.4.14.71. You need to supply a 32.768kHz clock signal, and all IO and power needs to be 1.8V except for VBAT. I am using a Ti TXB0108PWR voltage level translator to downshift the 3.3V IO to 1.8V, the other option is to supply 1.8V to one of the GPIO VREF's and run IO at 1.8V. WLAN interfaces over SDIO on SD1. BLE interfaces over UART. There is an RS232 interface for WLAN debugging which should be broken out to headers. The symbol, footprint and 3D model can be downloaded from UltraLibrarian for any ECAD software: https://app.ultralibrarian.com/Details/ ... 7111&tab=m. For getting started on building the Ti WiLink8 Kernel module, take a look at this wiki: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... e_Linux.29

jrschueler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

JBDynamics: Were you successful at implementing the TiWi-BLE chip with the CM3 running 4.14.71 kernel?

I am doing the same, I used the in-tree kernel drivers which supplied WLCORE, WLCORE_SDIO and WL12XX. I applied all other tools from WL18XX build scripts. I struggled with the DT but finally managed to get he WLAN up and running. However, I cannot get the WLAN_EN pin to be toggled by ifconig wlan0 UP/DOWN. My device tree voltage regulator (wlan_en_regulator) is working fine and mapped correctly. As a workaround, I currently have the voltage regulator set to "always-on" which brings up wlan0 at boot. I also tried "regulator-boot-on", which it is initialized but is quickly disabled, then nothing. My SDIO node includes the vmmc-supply = <&wlan_en_reg>; but seems to be doing nothing.

I am guessing this is a driver related issue, as the voltage regulator works independently and every other part of the WL1271 is working. Just they are not talking to each other. I wanted to know if you had a similar issue or if anybody else could help. I tried compiling the wlcore/wl12xx drivers manually from the ti WL18XX build scripts but ran into errors with the newer 4.14.71 kernel. Any advice is appreciated

rahmanuh
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:12 am

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:42 am

Hi jrschueler,

I am trying to turn the WiFI on at my CM3. I use WL1273 chip as the WiFi card. After built a kernel with WL12xx module loaded, and setup the pin configuration (in a overlay dts) like this:

GPIO 34: level=0 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_CLK
GPIO 35: level=1 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_CMD
GPIO 36: level=1 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_DAT0
GPIO 37: level=1 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_DAT1
GPIO 38: level=1 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_DAT2
GPIO 39: level=1 fsel=7 alt=3 func=SD1_DAT3
GPIO 42: level=0 fsel=0 func=INPUT >> as WL_IRQ
GPIO 43: level=0 fsel=1 func=OUTPUT >> as WL_EN. But right now I just hook the WL_EN (on WL1273 side) to 1.8V to make it always HIGH.

Unfortunately I still failed to make the WiFI on. Nothing happen. Even I always get make-error when try to do the steps from http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... d_Scripts .

Do you mind to provide the step what you did to make the WiFi on?
It would be nice if I can contact you in person :)

regards,
Rahmanu

cusna
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello everyone, I would like to start a project with a CM3 + adding a Wi-Fi and BT module.
Alone I can not and I would be willing to pay those who help me. I was thinking of using the LBEH5HY1MW of the Murata where it uses the CYW43455 which is lost to the Raspberry Pi 3 B +, but I could also change and use another one.
Someone is willing to help me?
Thank you

GLRobotics
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 am

jrschueler: NOOB here, struggling as well, can you elaborate or link to what you did in DT in order to have WLAN up?
jrschueler wrote: I struggled with the DT but finally managed to get the WLAN up and running

Jojo85
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:50 pm

InsertTitle wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:15 pm
Here's some good news for you I ended up looking into this for my own project and I came across the ESP-WROOM-32.

I've managed to fabricate the package/footprint part on Eagle if you're using eagle then I'll happily supply it for you to use.

Below is the schematic I did for mine.
You can power it using 3.3V or via a 5V to 3.3V convertor which is the design on the right hand side.
Connect CTS to GPIO39 & RTS to GPIO38 these are your data flow control pins should you wish to tell the device that you'd like to send/receive data from the pi/esp32
Connect RXD0 to GPIO15 & TXD0 to GPIO14 this is your UART Serial which connects directly into the CM3 as there is no need for a UART to USB Convertor atleast for my project I didn't need to use it and it simplifies the build down alot. However you're welcome to use one. The chip that is used for converting to USB is CP2102-QFN-P28. I've also made a footprint/package for this on eagle as well.
Image
Hey, thanks for those informations, i will try to use ur solution. I just have a few questions. I have the CM1 with intergrated memory, i want to connect it to the internet via wifi and connect mouse and keyboard with bluethoot. What software do i need to install and can you give some instructions how its done. Its my first time doining it. Btw im using eagle so if u coule send me the footprints that would be awsome. Im not sure if the pinout is the same but ill check it.

kind regards jojo

antoinebore
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:01 am

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 am

yaheath wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm
I can tell you one to avoid (at least for now). I've been trying to get an ATWILC1000 module working, but the driver support isn't there yet. There's a wilc1000 driver in drivers/staging but I wasn't able to get it to work (though it's being actively updated in the staging-next git repo). There's also an out-of-tree version published by Atmel but it doesn't build in 4.4 or 4.9.

I'll probably kick that one to the curb and look for something else.

One possibility is a USB based Wifi adapter. Since I plan on having a USB hub chip on my carrier board anyway I'll add a type-A jack and plug in one of the off-the-shelf tiny USB Wifi dongles.
Does somebody succeed in getting the wilc1000 driver works ?

sumanth_shenoy
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 pm

jrschueler wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm
JBDynamics: Were you successful at implementing the TiWi-BLE chip with the CM3 running 4.14.71 kernel?

I am doing the same, I used the in-tree kernel drivers which supplied WLCORE, WLCORE_SDIO and WL12XX. I applied all other tools from WL18XX build scripts. I struggled with the DT but finally managed to get he WLAN up and running. However, I cannot get the WLAN_EN pin to be toggled by ifconig wlan0 UP/DOWN. My device tree voltage regulator (wlan_en_regulator) is working fine and mapped correctly. As a workaround, I currently have the voltage regulator set to "always-on" which brings up wlan0 at boot. I also tried "regulator-boot-on", which it is initialized but is quickly disabled, then nothing. My SDIO node includes the vmmc-supply = <&wlan_en_reg>; but seems to be doing nothing.

I am guessing this is a driver related issue, as the voltage regulator works independently and every other part of the WL1271 is working. Just they are not talking to each other. I wanted to know if you had a similar issue or if anybody else could help. I tried compiling the wlcore/wl12xx drivers manually from the ti WL18XX build scripts but ran into errors with the newer 4.14.71 kernel. Any advice is appreciated
Hello,
I am also trying to build driver for wl1807 and following the process as given in the following link : http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... ld_Scripts
But its not taking me anywhere,

I am using default paths for kernel and toolchain in setup-env file.

Can you please share any documents or method you used in building the driver and how you accessed devvice tree file in using wl12xx and other drivers?

mayanksonu11
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 6:59 am

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am

Hello Everyone!! Can you please tell me whether I can use ESP32 in any way to get the wifi connectivity to the whole OS but not just the script (in case you want me to suggest AT commands). I have also gone through adding the peripherals in Device tree overlays but it seems working with that too requires hardware driver. And I could not find any driver of ESP32 on the web. So kindly let me know whether working with ESP32 will be feasible or not.

raja2n
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:38 am

mayanksonu11 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am
Hello Everyone!! Can you please tell me whether I can use ESP32 in any way to get the wifi connectivity to the whole OS but not just the script (in case you want me to suggest AT commands). I have also gone through adding the peripherals in Device tree overlays but it seems working with that too requires hardware driver. And I could not find any driver of ESP32 on the web. So kindly let me know whether working with ESP32 will be feasible or not.
Hi,
Could you please share me your experience on this esp32 module wifi connectivity. I am also looking for replacement for LAN connection , the wifi module should support full internet access instead of playing with AT commands. Is there any way to make esp module as internet over uart from Rpi compute module.
Any one have any suggestion, it will be more helpful

User avatar
IOTON
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm
Contact: Website

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:30 am

Buy some amount of different wifi usb dongles, test it, disassemble dongle you like and copy circuit.

rlev
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: WiFi chip for Compute Module 3

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 am

cusna wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm
Hello everyone, I would like to start a project with a CM3 + adding a Wi-Fi and BT module.
Alone I can not and I would be willing to pay those who help me. I was thinking of using the LBEH5HY1MW of the Murata where it uses the CYW43455 which is lost to the Raspberry Pi 3 B +, but I could also change and use another one.
Someone is willing to help me?
Thank you
Hi cusna.

Were you be able to interface successfully the LBEH5HY1MW and the CM3 Plus board ?

Return to “Compute Module”