gts250gamer101

Running Half-Life on Raspberry Pi?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi all, I have two Raspberry Pi's, a 1st gen Model B, and a RPi 3b. I was wondering if it would be possible to load some form of Half-Life (original obviously :D) onto them. I read elsewhere that the closed-source goldsrc engine that it is based on would be hard to port, but it is my understanding that it has already been ported to other platforms.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Theoretically, at least the 3rd generation of RPi, should be able to run the game fine :D

(on a side note, I also posted this on /r/raspberry_pi, so if you find that thread, hoorah, just FYI I'm not stealing another's post, just wanted input from another forum. :D)

W. H. Heydt

Re: Running Half-Life on Raspberry Pi?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 am

That game was written to run on x86 Windows systems. To run it on any Pi, you would have to simulate both a Windows environment (e.g. system calls) and x86 hardware. The result would be painfully slow, probably on the order of minutes per frame.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
That game was written to run on x86 Windows systems. To run it on any Pi, you would have to simulate both a Windows environment (e.g. system calls) and x86 hardware. The result would be painfully slow, probably on the order of minutes per frame.
You sure? Exagear seems to run the original counter strike at a playable framerate. Half Life is fairly comparable, I think.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
You sure? Exagear seems to run the original counter strike at a playable framerate. Half Life is fairly comparable, I think.
Nope. Not sure. Half Life came out in 1998, with various upgrades after that, until about 4 years ago. According to Wikipedia, there was a Linux port, so one could dispense--at least--with the Windows simulator, and if source code is available, it could--in concept--be recompiled to run on ARM.

However, the basic point that games published for Windows are unlikely to run decently on a Pi remains.

rpiMike

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Looks like it is possible with Exagear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_ZEo9N_fM

PiGraham

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

rpiMike wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm
Looks like it is possible with Exagear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_ZEo9N_fM
That would not be an enjoyable gaming experience.

Turrican2k

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Exagear is dead!

ptitSeb

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:50 am

There is an open source re-implementation of HalfLife on the net.
I'm pretty sure there are some thread ere already, with some succes story.

I have my own fork there: https://github.com/ptitSeb/xash3d and the original (and still active) repo is here: https://github.com/FWGS/xash3d-fwgs

Turrican2k

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you. Here is a step by step guide. In German, but you only need to copy the command lines one after the other, if you use PuTTY. Battling that you have to copy the valve folder into the Pi / HL directory, google translator should help.

https://www.freddyblog.de/half-life-auf ... i-spielen/

But i have problems with mods like counterstrike. the mods are started, but with the rules and libs of halflife. how can I start the mods with their own rules and libs?

I edited each liblist.gam of each MOD and entered the following:
gamedll_linux "hl.so"

But every mod starts with the rules of Half-Life, sometimes even missing weapons and equipment in the mod. Is it enough if I add something else or would you have to download a special "hl.so" (eg "cstrike.so)?

Moonmarch

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm

If you need to run a mod using the the xash3d program place a copy of the mod folder in the xash3d directory, then edit liblist.gam change gamedll and gamedll_linux to hl.so, to run a mod using xash3d type in the terminal:

Code: Select all

./xash3d -game "mod folder name"
Not all mods are compatible with xash3d, I ran counterstrike and teamfortress before, the games ran without problems offline didn't try running with bots.

rpiMike

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Turrican2k wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm
Thank you. Here is a step by step guide. In German, but you only need to copy the command lines one after the other, if you use PuTTY. Battling that you have to copy the valve folder into the Pi / HL directory, google translator should help.

https://www.freddyblog.de/half-life-auf ... i-spielen/

But i have problems with mods like counterstrike. the mods are started, but with the rules and libs of halflife. how can I start the mods with their own rules and libs?

I edited each liblist.gam of each MOD and entered the following:
gamedll_linux "hl.so"

But every mod starts with the rules of Half-Life, sometimes even missing weapons and equipment in the mod. Is it enough if I add something else or would you have to download a special "hl.so" (eg "cstrike.so)?
Translated: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... spielen%2F

Turrican2k

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks, but as already mentioned, I could start the mods as well. But the mods start with the rules and libs of the standard Halflife. For example in Counterstrike you can not buy weapons and there are no choices. You play almost only the original Halflife on the maps of Counterstrike as Gordon Freeman with his pistol.

leilei

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:18 am

Pretty much all Half-Life mods are x86 native code binaries and closed source, so you're not going to find much to run on the Pi.

Xash3d is in a legal gray area too for deriving from the 2003 leak and being dependent on files from a restrictive usage HL SDK...

Moonmarch

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:25 am

You mean self executing program that's not entirely true unless you are using the steam version of half-life, mods are nothing more than game data that is used by the game engine, xash3d is a game engine.

Xash3d has been around for at least 4 years, the project would be shut down by now if actually illegal to use then again use at your own risk, you can't always link emulators to the piratebay website even though xash3d is not official open source, the engine proves the RPI computer can run the half-life program at full speed.

Turrican2k perhaps you don't have a genuine copy of counterstrike.

Turrican2k

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm

For example if I copy Opposing Force (gearbox) and start properly then the weapons, objects and models of Opposing Force are missing, only the standard weapons and objects of the Halflife Basic Game are available. The same goes for Counterstrike; Only the rules of the game and weapons from the Halflife Basic Game are available, if you want to buy weapons the message "command <buy> can not be found". You run as Gordon Freeman with the Glock pistol through the Counterstrike Maps. The same is true for all mods, some mods that use only Halflife files work without problems.

So the problem is with xash3d? Thus it would not be possible that the mods with their own rules run? The same mods run on the PC without these errors.

Moonmarch

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:49 pm

I compiled the xash3d program using the fwgs/xash3d github repository I didn't use a different compile guide, delete everything included in the xash3d build then try recompiling the program I didn't run into this problem I had a problem with in game slowdown before, recompiling the engine using a different build guide solved the problem.

leilei

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Moonmarch wrote:
You mean self executing program that's not entirely true unless you are using the steam version of half-life, mods are nothing more than game data that is used by the game engine, xash3d is a game engine.
False. Mods were able to have new code since the April 1999 SDK release. They all aren't simply just content you can slip in and pretend you're playing the real deal much like the Dreamcast Half-Life bootleg scene....
Moonmarch wrote:
Xash3d has been around for at least 4 years, the project would be shut down by now if actually illegal to use then again use at your own risk,
A pardon was requested and ignored.on a reddit AMA at one point. I'm sure Valve's aware of it but can't acknowledge it for possibly pending legal reasons...

Moonmarch

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 am

Well if you needed a real example of a video game publisher taking legal action towards a video game developer here is this article that is about Electronics Arts and SimCity 2000 open source:

EA takes down open source SimCity 2000 remake for using copyrighted assets:
https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-takes-down-o ... ed-assets/

The github page to the open source version of SimCity 2000 is still available I don't know if the project is still being maintained the project was running since February then EA files a complaint to github in June or July, supposedly the original SimCity is open source I didn't see any open source version of the game available unless you consider micropolis the open source version of SimCity which has not been updated in many years.

To use xash3d you will still need a retail copy of Half-Life or other goldsrc engine game to either run the base game or run mods, and these mods need to be compatible with xash3d.

Return to “Gaming”