Rascas

Re: Kodi 15/16/17 Packages for Raspbian

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:06 am

See some posts behind in this topic, there is systemd script. Or use the old init.d script from the older packages, it also works.

cjan

Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 pm

kodi update to 17.2 for security issue.
http://blog.checkpoint.com/2017/05/23/h ... anslation/

Rascas

Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 am

cjan wrote:kodi update to 17.2 for security issue.
Thanks, didn't noticed 17.2 already available. We will compile and upload in the next few days.

cjan

Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Rascas wrote:
Thanks, didn't noticed 17.2 already available. We will compile and upload in the next few days.
and now, its 17.3 available.

recklessfb

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:12 am

How do I completely remove kodi(including addons,settings and themes)? I have kodi installed on raspbian on a pizero and for some reason my pi shutsdown when I run kodi. So I tried removing kodi by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove kodi* 
sudo apt-get purge kodi*
I also deleted the folder ~/.kodi/ and /usr/share/kodi. I did all that, rebooted and installed kodi again, but my old theme is still there and kodi crashes and shuts down my pi again.

Rascas

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:08 am

recklessfb wrote:How do I completely remove kodi(including addons,settings and themes)? I have kodi installed on raspbian on a pizero and for some reason my pi shutsdown when I run kodi. So I tried removing kodi by running

sudo apt-get purge kodi*
I also deleted the folder ~/.kodi/ and /usr/share/kodi. I did all that, rebooted and installed kodi again, but my old theme is still there and kodi crashes and shuts down my pi again.
Thats exactly what you need to do to completely remove Kodi from your system. But if you are using RetroPie, you might need to remove also /opt/retropie/configs/ports/kodi, because they make a symlinck to it from the original location.

recklessfb

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:36 am

Rascas wrote:
recklessfb wrote:How do I completely remove kodi(including addons,settings and themes)? I have kodi installed on raspbian on a pizero and for some reason my pi shutsdown when I run kodi. So I tried removing kodi by running

sudo apt-get purge kodi*
Thats exactly what you need to do to completely remove Kodi from your system. But if you are using RetroPie, you might need to remove also /opt/retropie/configs/ports/kodi, because they make a symlinck to it from the original location.
I'm not using retropie. Just raspbian lite with kodi on top. That is strange because when I install kodi again my old theme and addons are still there. So I don't know why it won't start fresh.

Rascas

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:55 pm

So probably, somewhat, you aren't really removing it, maybe an error or something.
To completely remove Kodi, you just need to remove the debian packages and user settings which are at /home/*user*/.kodi.

cjan

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 am

Openelec say: *enable Kernel NEON mode for RPi2 builds.
what is that mean? does Raspbian do the same?

Rascas

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 am

cjan wrote:Openelec say: *enable Kernel NEON mode for RPi2 builds.
what is that mean? does Raspbian do the same?
It is support for NEON extensions available in armv7 and above chips.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_archi ... .28NEON.29

Yes, you can check in the beginning of the Kodi log.

bleep42

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Rascas wrote:
Thanks Rascas,
I've just updated to your latest 17.3 and it's working great on a Pi2, even to the extent that some of the h265 (HEVC) improvements that have gone into the kernel and ffmpeg are also present and working well. :-) Thanks a lot for producing this build.
Regards,
Kevin.

Rascas

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:17 pm

bleep42 wrote:
Rascas wrote:
Thanks Rascas,
I've just updated to your latest 17.3 and it's working great on a Pi2, even to the extent that some of the h265 (HEVC) improvements that have gone into the kernel and ffmpeg are also present and working well. :-) Thanks a lot for producing this build.
Regards,
Kevin.
Yes there are some improvments to hevc playback, the pi 3 should now be able to play most of h265 1080p 8bit videos fine.

And just to clarify some things, this optimizations are done by dom aka popcornmix and other rpi foundation enginniers, we just compile and make kodi binary packages available for everyone running raspbian, and raspbian based systems ( if they arent much modified). This are the patches/optimizations also included in systems like Open/LibreElec.
Our code is here (currently for Ktrypton):
https://github.com/nsenica/xbmc/tree/krypton_new
That is basically popcornmix backports latest stable branch + only a few small fixes for Raspbian.

The packages available in the pipplware repo are the same as the ones now available on Raspbian (RPi Foundation) repo, so you dont need to add pipplware repos anymore. As I dont have direct access to the RPi foundation repo, when a new version of Kodi comes out, it will probably appear first on pipplware repo but it shouldnt take long to reach to RPi foundation repo. This packages are the same on Retropie also.

The kodi-bin package now includes both an armv6 and a armv7 binary, which is loaded automatically according to the raspberry pi version you have for best performance.

bleep42

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Good news Rascas,
It's good that your build has been noticed; appreciated and now included in the standard Raspbian repo. :-)
I for one hope that you will be able to keep it maintained and working with Raspbian.

I have found that h265 (HEVC) works very well at 1280x720 (720p) using almost any quality setting and 1920x1080 (1080p) at a moderate quality setting, even on a Pi 2, obviously a Pi 3 will allow much higher quality at 1080p.

Thank you, and of course Dom, John and all the other engineers who have made Kodi (with HEVC) on a Pi available for all.

Regards,
Kevin.

bleep42

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:34 am

Hi Rascus,
If it is possible, would you be able to re-build your Kodi 17.3 with the latest ffmpeg. (ffmpeg: update to ffmpeg-3.3.1-Leia-Alpha shown here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2601233) as this should give the latest 8 bit HEVC optimisations and from Doms comments, (here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2600458) they are now only going to concentrate on improving 10bit HEVC.
I realise it probably isn't a simple, 'just compile it' so if it's not possible I'll have to wait until all the appropriate updates filter through, but it would be interesting to see how well Kodi now runs with these improvements, under Raspbian as opposed to Libreelec.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Rascas

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 pm

bleep42 wrote:Hi Rascus,
If it is possible, would you be able to re-build your Kodi 17.3 with the latest ffmpeg. (ffmpeg: update to ffmpeg-3.3.1-Leia-Alpha shown here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2601233) as this should give the latest 8 bit HEVC optimisations and from Doms comments, (here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2600458) they are now only going to concentrate on improving 10bit HEVC.
I realise it probably isn't a simple, 'just compile it' so if it's not possible I'll have to wait until all the appropriate updates filter through, but it would be interesting to see how well Kodi now runs with these improvements, under Raspbian as opposed to Libreelec.
Thanks,
Kevin.
I think building Kodi 17 with Kodi 18 Leia-Alpha ffmpeg version isn't a good ideia because it can get stability issues or not even work. For what I read, the optimizations done are really small compared to the previous ones, but maybe it can be backported to Kodi 17.4, although that it is above my knowledge.

sk2212

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Hello,

I tried to compile latest Kodi 18 from github master branch. Cross compiling seems to work but when trying to start kodi binary on my Pi2 I just get a seg fault :-(.

However...are you able to create a test version from github master branch or could give me at least instructions how you have built your test builds?

I want to try latest Netflix and Amazon Prime plugins which seem to work with Kodi 18 nightly builds.

Rascas

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 pm

sk2212 wrote:Hello,

I tried to compile latest Kodi 18 from github master branch. Cross compiling seems to work but when trying to start kodi binary on my Pi2 I just get a seg fault :-(.

However...are you able to create a test version from github master branch or could give me at least instructions how you have built your test builds?

I want to try latest Netflix and Amazon Prime plugins which seem to work with Kodi 18 nightly builds.
This is more or less what we do to create Kodi packages, the ones available in Raspbian repo now:
http://blog.nunosenica.com/compiling-ko ... -raspbian/

This is to build directly on the Raspberry Pi.
We use our own fork, which is popcornmix rbp backports (Krypton now), plus some Raspbian fixes and optimizations, and a script to build the packages automatically.
https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/tree/krypton_new

Didn't tried yet to build Kodi 18, probably some libraries needs to be updated. This is the recommend tree for Kodi 18, it is the one used by Libreelec Milhouse builds:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/tree/newclock5
Last edited by Rascas on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjan

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 pm

btw, stretch's version still tag 17.1 and useless.

Rascas

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:39 pm

cjan wrote:btw, stretch's version still tag 17.1 and useless.
The Raspbian Stretch Kodi version is the generic one, without raspberry pi optimizations and compiled for OpenGL, it will only probably work with the open-source graphics driver, so without hardware video acceleration.
When the Foundation releases its Stretch image/version, we will make a version for it.

PS: If you update from a Jessie image to Stretch, without removing Jessie sources, force to install this 17.3 version, and hold the Kodi packages, it should work, although I not tested this.

nicolodo

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Hy guys.
I'm trying to install Kodi on my Raspbian but i have Raspbian lite without GUI interface.
I have some problems that i can not solve.
I can not start kodi because I can only connect via ssh and when I give the command

Kodi
the terminal of ssh crash .

How can I start kodi and subsequently access other clients through the web interface?, beacuse if i type

sudo systemctl start kodi.service
the terminal failed to start so i type

systemctl status kodi.service
the terminal reply

kodi.service - Kodi Media Center  
Loaded: error (Reason: Invalid argument)  
Active: inactive (dead)
i have noted that in the path etc/systemd/system/ i don't have for example kodi.service.
I m sure that i I'm wrong the installation.
N.B i have only pi user not kodi user and i have assigned pi at the group input and other group as recommended in the net.

N.B.
i m working throught SSH

gkreidl

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:23 am

nicolodo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm
Hy guys.
I'm trying to install Kodi on my Raspbian but i have Raspbian lite without GUI interface.
I have some problems that i can not solve.
I can not start kodi because I can only connect via ssh and when I give the command

Kodi
the terminal of ssh crash .

How can I start kodi and subsequently access other clients through the web interface?, beacuse if i type

sudo systemctl start kodi.service
the terminal failed to start so i type

systemctl status kodi.service
the terminal reply

kodi.service - Kodi Media Center  
Loaded: error (Reason: Invalid argument)  
Active: inactive (dead)
i have noted that in the path etc/systemd/system/ i don't have for example kodi.service.
I m sure that i I'm wrong the installation.
N.B i have only pi user not kodi user and i have assigned pi at the group input and other group as recommended in the net.

N.B.
i m working throught SSH
There's a new thread about kodi on Stretch: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499

IMHO, kidi is useless without a without monitor.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Raspbian”