pcmanbob

Re: Could I use duck billed tweezers to fix my bent micro USB pins?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am

Hi.

You can use what ever you like you are doing the repair, from the poor quality picture I cant actually make out what the problem with the socket is.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Adrian Bao

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm

It seems like the pins at the bottom are bent outward. The case seems to have a gap between the bottom to the plastic. I will consider getting a flirc case.

pcmanbob

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

As I said picture is so poor I cant see any pins , if you are saying you have bend the socket metal work which is what your finger is pointing to then that's been caused by bending the USB plug while is plugged in, which is some thing you have done. you should ba able to bend the metal socket back in to shape if you are careful and don't bend it to far.
As the USB socket is mount flush to the circuit board I don't think a different case will provide any better support.

I currently have 4 pi's sitting on my desk which either have no case or a case with a big hole for the micro usb socket and non of them are displaying any signs of socket damage like yours and they are connected and disconnected for each use. so may be you just need to take a bit more care.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

neilakos

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

You might as well try! If the tweezers are small enough, i don't see why it wouldn't work.

MaxK1

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Or use the GPIO header pin 2 or pin 4 for +5V and pin 6 for Gnd. It does bypass the protection circuitry, though. At least you will be able to power your Pi.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

PhatFil

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 am

you may as well have a go, and fall back on the gpio method to supply power if it proves fruitless.

micro usb power cables with a toggle switch come in handy for the pi..

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 am

First (Adrian Bao's) post deleted at users request (thread cannot be deleted as I need everybody's approval).

Return to “General discussion”