ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 pm

The price of apps for the nookcolor (and the lack of a few decent ones i would actually use) sucks.

There is a new app that i'd buy if it wasn't so expensive but there is no way that i will pay $19.99 for an app for the nookcolor (ok it's also that price on normal android and iOS too but that's no excuse).

Pity because it's a darn good bridge app if the pc version (even more expensive, thank goodness for trial versions that aren't too badly crippled) is any indication and as the wife just can't get the game of bridge (she'll play hearts and spades but just doesn't get bridge) I don't have a partner so haven't played bridge in years :( I was pretty good at duplicate bridge. I even earned a few master points a few times.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:12 pm

At this point, may I submit this:

Modern comedy sucks in comparison!

;-)

edit: and what a line up! Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Marty Feldman

Eh ba goom!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Fortunately, the cat is in excellent health. No vet bills here. 13 yrs old, fat and grumpy, but still amazingly spry! ^..^

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Quote from riffraff on December 20, 2011, 13:12
Fortunately, the cat is in excellent health. No vet bills here. 13 yrs old, fat and grumpy, but still amazingly spry! ^..^

Phew.

Our previous cat, before these two monsters (George and Gizmo Gweasel) lived to be 22years and 10months so you will have many happy years with a grouchy ball of fluff :)

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm

transition her nicely via Belote Coinchée. Same concepts (there's bids, even artificial ones, and a lot of guessing/signalling who has what and calculating how to fulfill the contract), a lot easier and more fun.
http://www.pagat.com/jass/belo.....ml#coinche
http://www.nimbustier.net/cont.....ex-en.html

There's even a relatively competent app on android: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ill.belote . I even programmed it myself a long while back; not as good though ^^

Better with pastis. Loudly shout "Oh Panisse !" everytime you want your partner to play hearts.

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 pm

@ukscone
Hmmm, vigorous stirring required. Doubt that I'd be up to it. Coffee would remain black and pantry empty. Lately, on my days off, retrieving the TV remote seems an onerous chore. Make note. Must train cat for this task.

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm

@ ukscone.
He surprised me last night.

When he was a kitten, I would lie on the the sofa with my arm extend and he would charge across the room, wrap his paws around it and spin on my wrist like a gymnast on parallel bars.

I did that last night on a lark, and for the first time in a decade, he charged across the room, let out a blood curdling "banzai" howl, slid under my arm on his back with claws extended, and proceeded to shred flesh from my arm.

If I have another decade with him, I suppose I'll need to order body armor.

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

ouch.

johnbeetem

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Quote from ukscone on December 20, 2011, 12:52
I hate going grocery shopping as SWMBO insists on coming too and she is a terrible shopper and takes hours when minutes would do
Your comment reminds me of Saki's essay "The Sex That Doesn't Shop":
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/.....7;27t_Shop
The brutal directness of the masculine shopper arouses a certain combative derision in the feminine onlooker. A cat that spreads one shrew-mouse over the greater part of a long summer afternoon, and then possibly loses him, doubtless feels the same contempt for the terrier who compresses his rat into ten seconds of the strenuous life.

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:04 pm

@ johnbeetem
My miracle of alchemy or age our marital roles have been reversed. It's my wife who must now hurry me through the store, I'm quite content to examine everything and compare prices. She's become the impatient one. =/

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Quote from johnbeetem on December 20, 2011, 14:36
Quote from ukscone on December 20, 2011, 12:52
I hate going grocery shopping as SWMBO insists on coming too and she is a terrible shopper and takes hours when minutes would do
Your comment reminds me of Saki's essay "The Sex That Doesn't Shop":
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/.....7;27t_Shop
The brutal directness of the masculine shopper arouses a certain combative derision in the feminine onlooker. A cat that spreads one shrew-mouse over the greater part of a long summer afternoon, and then possibly loses him, doubtless feels the same contempt for the terrier who compresses his rat into ten seconds of the strenuous life.

I have a list, my coupons clipped and sorted and a menu roughly planned for the next two weeks. i will alter the list/menu based on what's on sale and what looks good/bad but she wanders around like she has all the time in the world and picks things up she might possibly want to use/try at an unspecified date in the future. She doesn't even like fish (i'm the only one who eats fish) yet she'll spend 20 minutes in the fish area debating which one looks nice and that if she liked fish she might like to try. aarrgghhhhhh and i refuse to go clothes shopping with her now that they no longer have the husband chair in the women's clothes stores. I'm in, get the shoes, shirt or trousers i went in for (with maybe a 10 minute browse to see if there is anything i might like) and out again. I can be dressed, completed shop and back in bed within 2 hours, SWMBO is still getting ready to go 3 hours later :)

[it's a good job she never reads any of the forums i post to :D ]

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Quote from riffraff on December 20, 2011, 15:04
@ johnbeetem
My miracle of alchemy or age our marital roles have been reversed. It's my wife who must now hurry me through the store, I'm quite content to examine everything and compare prices. She's become the impatient one. =/

Depends on the store. Music (guitar) shop, Machine Mart etc, I'm slow, clothes shop, show shop, I'm fast.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Quote from riffraff on December 20, 2011, 15:04
@ johnbeetem

Yes they have. here is the My Christmas list that i gave the wife and hers to me.

My List (in order of want)
Desk or Table
Nice Comfy Chair
New Iron
A new cast iron skillet (frying pan)

Her List
iTunes giftcard
Jewelery (20" silver chain)
Wii games

riffraff

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 pm

@ukscone
+1
I can never allow myself to stoop to the point where she becomes SWMBO. Her sister and two kids live with us. I went to school with her sister (she was a grade behind me) but I married the younger (8 years my junior). My nephew is 21 and my niece just turned 15.
As you can see there is an extreme estrogen/testosterone imbalance in the household, and should I even flinch, I would be instantly drowned in a wave of feminine dominance.

jamesh

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:27 pm

I thought everyone should know that after the Broadcom Xmas party last night, I have a terrible hangover. And I gave up at midnight - others finally got kicked out at 4am, so I would hate to be their heads.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

obarthelemy

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Could be worse, you could be a horse's hoof. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.....nd_of_Time

scep

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:20 pm

The fact that my motorbike is stalling for no apparent reason and I want to ride down to Saltash to see a mate at New Year sucks a lot.

At least I could whack my old, non-computerised, non-injected bikes repeatedly with a lump hammer and make them better again :)

johnbeetem

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 am

Maybe it"s just me but it seems that the RasPi forum is getting a lot* of new members who obviously have not read Liz' "Raspberry Pi 101 (read before posting)" thread.  You know, the one where she says:

We ask that as you discuss various things on the board that you treat others respectfully. We know that can be a hard thing to do (especially when the other person just [can"t] seem to see how right you are!), but keep it civil.

Personally, I think it's good idea to lurk in a forum for a while to get a sense of the community before doing a cannonball right into the middle of the pool.

*Edit: by "a lot", I mean "a lot more than usual".

Jongoleur

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:56 pm

scep said:

The fact that my motorbike is stalling for no apparent reason and I want to ride down to Saltash to see a mate at New Year sucks a lot.

At least I could whack my old, non-computerised, non-injected bikes repeatedly with a lump hammer and make them better again

Yes - I look under the bonnet of my car and apart from chucking water in the screenwash occasionally, there's so little that I feel confident to lay a finger on.  I used to be able to do all sorts of things to cars I owned years ago, and even bleeding a diesel fuel system didn't hold any terrors.  Modern vehicles may have lower emissions, better fuel economy and not hurt baby bunnies and foxes but in terms of being user-fixable, they SUCK!

I'm thinking of getting an old classic car so I don't feel intimidated by the technology....

I'm amazed that the forum has picked up over five and a half thousand members since we celebrated the first 500 in August, and 500 or so in the past few days. As such that doesn't suck and I wouldn't want to get all proprietary about the "old days" when it was "just us few, we happy few, we band of brothers, but some of these new blighters..."  Ahemm.  Anyhow. The more the merrier, but I just wish they'd look around and reead, learn and inwardly digest the FAQs before launching off. 

On the other hand, what really sucks is the new forum software.  The "Math" thing for stopping spam posting is bloody irritating, the fact that it can't remember that I've made 200 odd posts since the beginning of August is annoying, and I don't like the layout.  Its too busy and there's too many unexplained things lurking about.

You know the sound you get when using a straw at the bottom of a milkshake?  Its THAT level of suckiness!

Huh!

Andre_P

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm

You know what sucks, going away from home and finding that your ISP modem has died in some interesting way so you can't upload your photographs to your NAS, do your project, and yet they still expect you to pay for the broad band.

ok vent over

scep

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm

scep said:

The fact that my motorbike is stalling for no apparent reason ...

Injector body was loose if anyone is interested .

Bootsy

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm

scep said:

scep said:

That's not a rant

You should have said something about "not meant to last" or "disposable society" "poor tolerances" of bolt threads...then it would be a rant

scep

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Bootsy said:

That's not a rant

No, but it's a venting thread and the injector body vents into the cylinder. Which sucks

Future topics: How do chickens have sex, lay eggs and poo through the same hole?; Black smokers and abiogenesis; Tailoring for dummies.

Now I've written this down, I'm thinking that "Vent" would be a good lifestyle magazine.

Jongoleur

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

scep said:

scep said:

Loose is not good in any circumstance 

I've always thought that "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow" would be a good mag title

In certain circumstances, naturally....

Canuck

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 am

Why are all the mods here conservative pickle bags.

Return to “Off topic discussion”