guachinver

how install the new raspbian image?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 am

Following the announcement of new raspbian would like to know, to install the new image, the simplest way to migrate applications and data I have installed in squeeze, Mysql, Apache2, PHP, phpmyadmin, several python modules etc.

RaTTuS

Re: how install the new raspbian image?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am

1) make a backup of your data
2) write the image to a new SDCard
3) restore the data to the new OS
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

itimpi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am

I am not sure that there is an easy upgrade path. Applications will be incompatible between the two distributions since one uses soft-float libraries and the other hard-float libraries so at the very least applications will need re-installing.

The easiest thing might be to write the latest distibution to a fresh SD card and boot off that. The next stage would be to re-install any applications you added to your original Debian install to get the Hard-Float compatible versions of them. You could then plug the original SD card in via a USB based SD card reader to copy off it any further files that you want to migrate over.

jmacey

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am

For the applications I think you would need to install them again from the new raspbian repo, as most will be re-built to use the hardfloat libs etc.

To get a list of packages use

dpkg –get-selections which will list all things you have installed on your current system. You can then use this list to re-install on the new machine.

There are several discussions on this such as this one http://www.ubuntugeek.com/clone-your-ub ... ation.html.

For the home directory I use rsync on my mac (need to install it on the pi as well) to copy the home directory to my mac and then just scp it back when I build a new image.

Return to “Beginners”