[email protected]

SOLVED - Official 7" Touchscreen

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am

My lovely gf bought a new Pi3 and the official 7" touchscreen for christmas, what a gal !!!!

I got it going with some guides I managed to find on the internet, the official link on the box didn't bring me to a dedicated webpage with how to configure it. No official manual in the box. I think the foundation should get this addressed.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it is working of a sort. I put the latest Raspbian on a micro sd, and modded boot config to include lcd_rotate=2, and put an SSH file in the boot, so that ssh is started. The Pi starts up fine, and displays the boot splash, then displays the ssh/change password message. I then have a cursor, and the touchscreen moves the cursor around, but it doesnt boot to the desktop, as I expect. I have left it powered on for a long time, but no desktop

Can anyone please help ???
Last edited by [email protected] on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotty101

Re: Official 7" Touchscreen

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

Sounds like it is booting to the console rather than GUI.

username: pi
password: raspberry

then type startx to start the GUI.

Once in the GUI you can change the Raspberry Pi Configuration to always boot to GUI.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 pm

The title regards the touchscreen, but it'sprobably unrelated - to prove it, you could disconnect it and use tv/monitor...
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

[email protected]

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

@scotty101
That is not the case, it is definately going into X because the ssh/password change dialogue is graphical, and the cursor is following my finger on the touchscreen, it is not at the command line.

[email protected]

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

So this just keeps getting stranger and stranger. I have now hooked up the pi to the main TV, which is 1920x1080 and works with 2 other raspberry pi's perfectly. I recreated the sd card from image, so its a brand new install. I am using an official raspberry pi psu. I have a keyboard and mouse plugged in, and the touch screen is out of the equation.

So when I plug in the psu, the initial rainbow screen followed by 4 raspberry pi logos come on, then screen goes blank. The green activity light still flashes, but x does not start. I can press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get a console, but x definately does not start

Can anyone please help ??????

Matt Shaw

[email protected]

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi guys

Think I just sorted it !!!!

So to help anyone else out there that suffers from this I read the Downloads page on Raspberrypi.org, which mentioned to extract the img from the zip using 7-Zip, I did so, and burned it to the sd using etcher.io, and it booted into the gui desktop straight away !!!!

Looks like I created the sd card image incorrectly, a basic error, but may help others !!!!!

Matt

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 am

[email protected] wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 pm
Hi guys

Think I just sorted it !!!!

So to help anyone else out there that suffers from this I read the Downloads page on Raspberrypi.org, which mentioned to extract the img from the zip using 7-Zip, I did so, and burned it to the sd using etcher.io, and it booted into the gui desktop straight away !!!!

Looks like I created the sd card image incorrectly, a basic error, but may help others !!!!!

Matt
Etcher will extract files automatically if you give it a zip file, so if using Etcher the 7-zip stage is unnecessary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “Official Display”