bensimmo

PiZero Education bulk buy ?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

On behalf of Education Establishments; Primary, Senior (and PiJam/CodeClub/Dojo etc.)

Now there is a good suppply chain for the Pi Zero, is there any way for a "small bulk" purchase for such activities
... of course with some checks in place.

I ask, as now the Pi GPIO Expander for x86 RPD setups is out, it makes it a cheap and easy way to use GPIO with these setups now, over the extra cost of the Pi3 an rigging these up in education and clubs. The PiZero is now a viable Educational tool :-D

mikerr

Re: PiZero Education bulk buy ?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm
I ask, as now the Pi GPIO Expander for x86 RPD setups is out, it makes it a cheap and easy way to use GPIO with these setups now, over the extra cost of the Pi3 an rigging these up in education and clubs. The PiZero is now a viable Educational tool :-D
Note the GPIO expander will also work with model A+ , and you can buy as many A+ as you like.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm

We are looking in to ways of providing education bulk packs. Not sure of any timescales though. If/when it happens, I am sure it will be plastered all over the blog!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

mikerr wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm
Note the GPIO expander will also work with model A+ , and you can buy as many A+ as you like.
At more than twice the price of a ZW with no on-board WiFi (so another £7.50 for that). You get a ZW equivalent (no bluetooth) for £29.50 with an A+ & RPF official dongle (+p&p).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

bensimmo

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm
We are looking in to ways of providing education bulk packs. Not sure of any timescales though. If/when it happens, I am sure it will be plastered all over the blog!
:D
That's ok, lets hope it's the when.

-- -- --
As for A+ that doesn't meet the ~£5 and a cable attachment cheapness and simplicity of the Pi Zero.
The W is not need as that'll not be used for what is basically a GPIO attchment to an x86 PC.

While I know I can use it (and will a have a play with our A+ & Zero just for fun of course).
It's not quite the same to buy 20 odd of them for a Pi Jam or CodeClub for a example and use the local PC's.
Or even if allowed, give them away to kids to use at home. The people that come to the Jam I go to, do have a PC at home and could easily go home with a Zero and continue their fun. A Zero and a cheap pendrive could even be given out, read to go.
I'm not saying I would or others would. But it does give the possibilty.

So thought I would ask :ugeek:

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”