Skinboy1999

Raspberry pi 3 external antenna

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Hey! I have made my Raspberry pi 3 model b into a airplay receiver, but I am experiencing some problems concerning the wireless connections that causes the sound to drop.
I have theory that installing a USB wireless antenna like the TP-Link TL-WN722N will solve my problem, because I will achieve a better wireless connection.
My questions is then:
1. Is it possible to install the TP-Link TL-WN722N and get it to work with RPI?
2. Will it help me achieve a better wireless connection and therefore stop the problems with dropouts?

All the best

Paul Hutch

Re: Raspberry pi 3 external antenna

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 am

To make sure the problem is WiFi, try it with a wired network connection first.

If that solves the problem then the TP-Link USB WiFi interface with external antenna may help assuming there are working drivers for it.

broe23

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am

Skinboy1999 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm
Hey! I have made my Raspberry pi 3 model b into a airplay receiver, but I am experiencing some problems concerning the wireless connections that causes the sound to drop.
I have theory that installing a USB wireless antenna like the TP-Link TL-WN722N will solve my problem, because I will achieve a better wireless connection.
My questions is then:
1. Is it possible to install the TP-Link TL-WN722N and get it to work with RPI?
2. Will it help me achieve a better wireless connection and therefore stop the problems with dropouts?

All the best
Go with the external USB for Wifi and Bluetooth. The built in antenna is not that great, along with Transmitting power. There is a schematic out there that shows where the antenna is. It is on the front of the board, that is opposite of the USB ports.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

Skinboy1999

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 am

Thx for the replays! I just have one question before I go out and buy the antenna. Do I have to buy a new power supply? I already have a audiobox 22 VSL connected to the RPI that uses +5VDC and 500mA and with the antenna, my RPI might not run smoothly. I'm I wrong or do I have to buy a new transformer?

The best Erik

allfox

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:34 am

I setup a PulseAudio network sink on Pi. It's something like Airplay.

According to their manual: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... r/Network/
Note all methods described here stream raw PCM audio over the network. This can use pretty much network bandwidth (around 1.4 Mb/s for CD-quality sound). If you get choppy sound, try setting a lower sample rate for the network stream. Furthermore, even while many WiFi connections can sustain such bitrates, often the jitter in packet latency makes transmitting low-latency audio over a wireless link infeasible in practice.

Return to “General discussion”