Sz_DavidHUN

No wireless interfaces found in full raspbian on Pi Zero W, but lite works fine

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:41 am

I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I've been using it for a long time, there is a new Raspbian, I upgraded it works fine (lite version)
For some reason my friend needed small computer with GUI, so I made him a new card with full raspbian.
But there was a problem: No wireless interface found
From command line I could do thing with the built in wifi (for example scan for networks, and worked)

How did I install?
0. sha256sum raspbian.img
1. umount
2. sudo dd if=raspbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 status=progress bs=2048
3. sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 status=progress bs=8192 count=32768 | md5sum
4. md5sum raspbian.img
5. remount sdcard
6. edit config.txt (force_hdmi_hotplug=1 hdmi_group=1 hmdi_mode=4
7. add "ssh" named file to boot dir
8. wpa_passpharse MyWifi MyPassword >> /sdcard/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant,conf
9. umount sdcard

Raspbian Lite OK, OSMC ok (kinda), Retropie OK, Raspbian (full) no wifi. All md5 and sha256 sums matched.
Fix: Noobs lite, but it slow as hell because there is a lot of wifi, and only can download with 1-10 MBit/s (100/100 Wired connection).
So why is the img version of the raspbian not working?

SurferTim

Re: No wireless interfaces found in full raspbian on Pi Zero W, but lite works fine

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:58 am

Check your wpa_supplicant.conf file. Insure it has these lines in it before your network section.

Code: Select all

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
Change the country line to match your two character country designation.

SurferTim

Re: No wireless interfaces found in full raspbian on Pi Zero W, but lite works fine

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

FYI: It's working on mine, both full and lite. Stretch 2017-09-07

B.Goode

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 pm

8. wpa_passpharse MyWifi MyPassword >> /sdcard/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant,conf
Is it safe to assume that the typo exists only in your post here, and not in Real Life?

In a recent similar thread a Raspberry Pi Foundation Engineer asked for specific feedback on what might be the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=195923&p=1226510#p1226346

SurferTim

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm

B.Goode wrote: In a recent similar thread a Raspberry Pi Foundation Engineer asked for specific feedback on what might be the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=195923&p=1226510#p1226346
Read the rest of the thread also. It was an error in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.

B.Goode

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm
B.Goode wrote: In a recent similar thread a Raspberry Pi Foundation Engineer asked for specific feedback on what might be the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=195923&p=1226510#p1226346
Read the rest of the thread also. It was an error in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
I have. That doesn't mean that there might not be useful diagnostic information to be gained. Who knows, it might say "error parsing wpa_supplicant.conf at Line 5"?

I have also pointed out that the OP may not be editing that file!

SurferTim

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 pm

@B.Goode: That wasn't aimed at you. It was for the OP. I assumed you read it.

B.Goode

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 pm
@B.Goode: That wasn't aimed at you. It was for the OP. I assumed you read it.
Understood. Now. I admit I originally mis-interpreted it....

(FWIW I am one of those "lucky" people for whom every combination of Jessie, Stretch, Desktop, lite, built-in WiFi, external dongle etc just seems to work... )

davidcoton

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:23 pm

B.Goode wrote:
(FWIW I am one of those "lucky" people for whom every combination of Jessie, Stretch, Desktop, lite, built-in WiFi, external dongle etc just seems to work... )
You should bottle the "luck" and sell it -- many takers here :!: :lol:
Signature retired

HankB

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Is there a definitive guide to getting WiFi running on the Pi Zero with Debian Stretch (new install) Lite or full? I've been through a bunch of threads that have a wide variety of solutions and applying them sequentially has not been helpful.

Thanks!

Sz_DavidHUN

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for your replies!

Accidentally overwritten the problematic card, in the next few day I'll make again a free card and redo again. I'm courious :D
B.Goode wrote:
Is it safe to assume that the typo exists only in your post here, and not in Real Life?
Typo(s) are only in the post. I've edited with command line and checked with xed and nano too, and it seems okay.
davidcoton wrote:
B.Goode wrote:
You should bottle the "luck" and sell it -- many takers here :!: :lol:
Can I buy some too? Pi2B randomly dead (maybe sdcard socket), wifi dongle intermitten fault, hdmi converter not really compatible with my pi, monitor not working with hdmi_mode=2, usb hub causes reboot if moved too much, or connected while the pi is running :D
HankB wrote: Is there a definitive guide to getting WiFi running on the Pi Zero with Debian Stretch (new install) Lite or full? I've been through a bunch of threads that have a wide variety of solutions and applying them sequentially has not been helpful.
Thanks!
I've installed it from NOOBS lite, entered the password while in the noobs menu, and magically works.
With the installation mentioned above, it doesn't, and now trying to figure out the difference between the two methods. Maybe I messed up something :D

HankB

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Sz_DavidHUN wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:27 pm
HankB wrote: Is there a definitive guide to getting WiFi running on the Pi Zero with Debian Stretch (new install) Lite or full? I've been through a bunch of threads that have a wide variety of solutions and applying them sequentially has not been helpful.
Thanks!
I've installed it from NOOBS lite, entered the password while in the noobs menu, and magically works.
With the installation mentioned above, it doesn't, and now trying to figure out the difference between the two methods. Maybe I messed up something :D
I thank you for your help. I have since found that this (*) works in a Pi 3B. If I 'apt update/upgrade' while the card is in the Pi 3B I can move the card back to a Pi Zero W and with no other changes the WiFi now works.

I have filed a bug report against this https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2249 and you can see further info at the end of this thread. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=191252&start=25

I'm less familiar with noobs. If it pulls the installation from something more current than the download, that might explain the difference. Otherwise it would be nice to know what noobs does as that would provide a clue as to why it works.

(*) This is Raspbian Stretch Lite released 2017-09-07, copied to an SD card and wpa_supplicant.conf created as described in the post above and bug report.

HawaiianPi

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 am

1. Grab the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Grab the Etcher software from https://etcher.io/
  3. Install Etcher and use it to write the Raspbian image to your SD card. You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing. Just choose the Raspbian .zip, pick your SD card and write (if you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download).
  4. Remove and reinsert the SD card so that your Windows or Mac PC can see the small FAT32 partition on the SD card.
  5. On that small partition, create a file with the name ssh or ssh.txt (if you want SSH access, otherwise skip this step).
  6. To connect to a wireless network, create a file on the partition called wpa_supplicant.conf which has the following inside.

update_config=1
    country=US

network={
    	ssid="Your network SSID"
    	psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
    	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }
  7. Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
  8. Safely eject the card from your PC and use it to boot the Pi.
If Raspbian finds an ssh file it will enable SSH and delete the file, and when it finds a wpa_supplicant.conf file, it will move it to its correct location and connect to your wireless network.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HankB

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi HawiianPI,
I assume your post is a reply to mine. As noted in my post I saw your instructions in another post and have already tried that. It did not work. Have you tried this with the latest (2017-09-07) version of Raspbian Stretch-Lite in a Pi Zero W and had different results. It did not work for me in the two Zero Ws that I have. (Jessie-Lite with a somewhat simpler /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf has always worked w/out difficulty for me.)

thanks,
hank

SurferTim

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm

I tried both 2017-09-07 Pixel and Lite with my Zero W. Both booted fine on the initial boot, and associated with the AP.

HankB

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:33 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm
I tried both 2017-09-07 Pixel and Lite with my Zero W. Both booted fine on the initial boot, and associated with the AP.
I wonder what's different that causes it to not work for me. :-/

SurferTim

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Maybe your text editor? I use Ubuntu OS and nano for my editor.

HankB

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 pm
Maybe your text editor? I use Ubuntu OS and nano for my editor.
vi (vim) on Debian Stretch. I was wondering if he line end convention was potentially an issue.

Looking at dmesg output, I wonder if firmware versions make a difference. This is what I see:

hbarta@niwot:~ $ dmesg|grep -i firmware
[    0.266997] raspberrypi-firmware soc:firmware: Attached to firmware from 2017-07-03 14:17
[    7.213852] brcmfmac: Firmware version = wl0: Aug  7 2017 00:46:29 version 7.45.41.46 (r666254 CY) FWID 01-f8a78378
hbarta@niwot:~ $ 
(That's on Jessie. On Stretch `dmesg` now requires root.)

Edit: I updated firmware on the Pi Zero, burned the .img to the SD card again, provided the wpa_supplicant.conf and ssh files as instructed and this time WiFi came up w/out on the first boot. It seems that the issue resulted with older firmware. This is what is on there now:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dmesg|grep -i firmware
[    0.269160] raspberrypi-firmware soc:firmware: Attached to firmware from 2017-08-08 12:01
[   19.768083] brcmfmac: Firmware version = wl0: Aug  7 2017 00:46:29 version 7.45.41.46 (r666254 CY) FWID 01-f8a78378
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 
Looks like just the SOC firmware changed.

f3nc3r

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:27 am

SurferTim wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:58 am
Check your wpa_supplicant.conf file. Insure it has these lines in it before your network section.

country=US
update_config=1
Change the country line to match your two character country designation.
This did it for me! Thank you so much!

Return to “Troubleshooting”