pixxx

RealVNC Screen too small with Stretch on Pi3

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 am

I have been using Pi3 for 2 years with Jessie. My setup is headless and primarily use RealVNC to communicate with the Pi. From a fresh image installation I always got a small screen resolution. But with some little tweak on the /boot/config.txt as so:

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=85

Life is good after edited /boot/config.txt with the above. I got a decent windows size that I can work with. No further complain.

Now, with the new Stretch release, I can no longer adjust the screen as I used to with Jessie. /boot/config.txt has become indifferent to my old trick. Does anyone know the cause of this problem. I have tried many thing ranging from making adjustment in the rPi config to editing the /boot/config.txt with various settings, still no result.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. This small nonadjustable VNC screen is very annoying to use.

P.S. My Pi3 is all by itself, not connected to any device such as monitor, TV, keyboard, or mouse. Just a power adapter and Ethernet cable.

klricks

Re: RealVNC Screen too small with Stretch on Pi3

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 am

You have already asked the same question here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=193559&p=1221032#p1221032
Did you try the suggestions?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

pixxx

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 am

klricks wrote:
You have already asked the same question here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=193559&p=1221032#p1221032
I did try to get back to my question/post yesterday but kinda lost among the hundreds that I went through, and that is the reason why I started the new post for easy tracking purpose. This is my first time posting so still learning...

As for your advice, and yes, the "hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080" was removed (the other 2 are still there) and it still looks the same, tiny tiny window size. The same setting worked well with Jessie even though from the beginning Jessie did give me the same tiny window size like Stretch.

Thanks for you help. Any other suggestion?

klricks

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 am

pixxx wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 am
klricks wrote:
I did try to get back to my question/post yesterday but kinda lost among the hundreds that I went through, and that is the reason why I started the new post for easy tracking purpose. This is my first time posting so still learning...

As for your advice, and yes, the "hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080" was removed (the other 2 are still there) and it still looks the same, tiny tiny window size. The same setting worked well with Jessie even though from the beginning Jessie did give me the same tiny window size like Stretch.

Thanks for you help. Any other suggestion?
Did you add this? hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Also your RPi must be configured to boot to desktop.

I can't remember if this is the default but the board should be sending you a notification email with link every time someone replies to your post.
Also from the Quick Links (3 bars) there is a link to: Your posts
Or click on your username link then Control Panel then click show your posts.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

pixxx

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 am

klricks wrote:
Did you add this? hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Also your RPi must be configured to boot to desktop.
I hope these are the things you asked for, sorry for the tiny size:
klricks wrote:
I can't remember if this is the default but the board should be sending you a notification email with link every time someone replies to your post.
Also from the Quick Links (3 bars) there is a link to: Your posts
Or click on your username link then Control Panel then click show your posts.
This is my fist time learning how to post/ask in a forum, a lot more needed to learn. Thanks for the advice and help.

rpdom

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 am

You can also see your posts by clicking on the post count next to an entry (in the Prosilver theme at least, I don't know if it does that in the other ones)
posts.png
posts.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
In this example click on the "9" and it will take you to a list of posts.

pixxx

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

rpdom wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 am
You can also see your posts by clicking on the post count next to an entry (in the Prosilver theme at least, I don't know if it does that in the other ones)

posts.png
In this example click on the "9" and it will take you to a list of posts.
Thanks for the advice. I clicked on number 9 and it did take me to the list of replies that I posted. Learning new thing for the day. I assumed this method only works if you replied to a post. How about visited posts? I guess bookmark is the only way.

BTW, do you know how to directly post pix within a reply (just like posting pix in email)? So far, the only way that I can post a pix is to externally link from image hosting place. Thanks

pcmanbob

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 am

pixxx wrote:
So far, the only way that I can post a pix is to externally link from image hosting place. Thanks
That is probably the best way to post pictures , you can drag and drop pictures in to your post but there is a size limit which is quite small and your picture will always be at the bottom of your post.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

BlackKnight_UK

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am

pixxx wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I clicked on number 9 and it did take me to the list of replies that I posted. Learning new thing for the day. I assumed this method only works if you replied to a post. How about visited posts? I guess bookmark is the only way.
When I post a question I normally "Subscribe" so I can find it again ;)

rpdom

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm

pixxx wrote:
[BTW, do you know how to directly post pix within a reply (just like posting pix in email)? So far, the only way that I can post a pix is to externally link from image hosting place. Thanks
You can post small pictures (64KB limit I think) by adding the file as an attachment and then clicking the option to display it inline.

Return to “Raspbian”