jscottcta

RASPBIAN STRETCH PROBLEMS

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:26 pm

The Raspberry Pi is a ground-breaking computer that has been adapted for many purposes ranging from education to industrial control. I have successfully used various Raspberry Pis (original, 2, 3, Zero and Zero-W) for the past 3+ years for a variety of purposes. Until recently the OS has been stable and with minimal OS problems, and the process of installing and configuration has been simple and fool-proof. Unfortunately that was in the past.

I have tried the various "Stretch" release and found each to have significant problems that should have been easily identified, even with minimal testing. The latest release includes what is apparently an old driver for WiFi dongles and incorrect libraries for Apache2 and MySQL. After solving these problems I ran into another problem with a SQL connector to which i was unable to resolve. Upon re-flashing the SD card and starting a new implementation to verify my notes, I encountered a new problem with apt-get unable to find the "mirror server". Where did this new problem come from and why didn't it appear a few hours earlier? The next day the problem continued. Has the OS changed, without a corresponding change to the version number or date? Or is the mirror server down and no one noticed?

Reviewing the comments and problems on your Forums and other web sites reveal many other problems that have occurred and reoccured multiple times. Unfortunately there is a pattern here and it is not a positive one.

Attempting to find information about how to correct these problems is both time consuming and frustrating as there are many people searching for answers which are few and far between. And few of these are address on the Raspberry Pi site. That should be the MAIN site these problems are reported, discussed and addressed! But that is not the case.

As a result users are forced to reinstall older version of our OS. While this solves an immediate problem it does not address the fundamental problem. It provides only a temporary solution which will cease to function when one adds new products or functions to their Pi or make other changes that entail new drivers.

Is this the new norm for the Raspberry Pi organisation? I hope not. I recognise you are (mostly) a volunteer organisation and your software is open source. However that does not relieve you of the responsibility to your supporters and those you serve of providing fully tested and functional hardware and software products. Releasing products, be they hardware or software, that are inoperative will quickly dissipate the store of good will you have accrued over the past few years.

Jim Scott :cry:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RASPBIAN STRETCH PROBLEMS

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 am

A number of points to cover...

Stretch was tested, and was available as a beta for external testing for months. However, we cannot cover everything (we don't have access to every USB dongle supported for example, and we don't have a testing department the size of Microsoft - there are 26 thousand packages in Stretch...). It is worth noting that the vast majority of the Stretch release was straight from Debian, where it received a huge amount of testing. The RPF(T) just make a few changes to tailor it to the Raspberry Pi Hardware. Just as an addendum, I have been using Stretch on multiple devices and have not seen a SINGLE problem, as have many others. To say that Stretch was untested or had little testing is untrue.

MySQL was dropped by Debian in favour of MariaDB, and we follow Debian. Not sure about problems with Apache, not heard of any.

We have a github system for reporting issues, but this is for modules we have changed, i.e. Pi specific. So Desktop, kernel, userland etc. Other bugs should be reported to the appropriate developers (or Debian) because they are nothing to do with us. https://github.com/raspberrypi/

Mirror servers are exactly that, mirrors of our server. If our servers are down that is a problem, but this is very rare. It should also be noted that the Raspbian server itself is not run by the RPF, so we are limited in how much control we have, however, the guy who runs it is generally very responsive so downtime is minimal.

One thing to note, you state that answers to your problems are few and far between. This to me indicates that the problems you are seeing are quite rare, or there would be more posts about them.

Now some questions in return.

Which bugs have been flagged time and time again and, apparently, are unfixed?
Which bugs are you seeing on Stretch that are Raspberry Pi related?
Have you encountered any HW bugs?
Where have you reported the issues you have seen so I can check them out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:36 pm

+1

The accusations in your post are a little vague. Which drivers are you claiming are old? What's not working for you? Why do you feel forced to run an older release? Happy to look into any bug report. If you break down your post into specific issues, we can address them.

Reshock

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I am happy to add my early problems were fixed. Now the gui software lists will not load. I am not concerned about the rest of this system but the book like reference was handy to take back to the command line. It also has stopped working on Jessie, where should I look for the solution.? Debian?

wally333

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If older versions are doing everything you require, unless your Pi machines are exposed to the Internet, or downloading stuff from the web, one gets to a a point in these kind of projects where its all pain and no gain to upgrade to newer system versions.

My Beaglebone is still running Debian image 2015-11-12, its up 24/7 and is far more reliable than the power company. It does everything I need it to do and it only talks to other machines on my local network. I won't mess with it until I find some new feature in an upgrade to be compelling for the tasks that it handles, which is not bloody likely given the simple but important job that it does.

OTOH I've upgraded all my Pi to Stretch as what I'm doing with them is easier with current software and other than the known issue with the PiZero-W and Pi3 built-in Wifi firmware (which doesn't affect everyone) I've had zero issues beyond the minor package name changes that always seem to hit across major version upgrades if you've installed very many "extra" packages.

DirkS

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Reshock wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 pm
Now the gui software lists will not load. I am not concerned about the rest of this system but the book like reference was handy to take back to the command line.
What 'gui software list' and what do you mean exactly with the 'book like reference'

Reshock

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Package updater and software updater fail to open. I used to be able to search for packages and find related packages. Or just useful ones that I didn't know about. Both stretch and Jessie have stopped working, I just tried a fresh install of stretch this weekend.

SurferTim

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Do you mean Application Menu -> Preferences -> Add/Remove Software?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Reshock wrote: Package updater and software updater fail to open. I used to be able to search for packages and find related packages. Or just useful ones that I didn't know about. Both stretch and Jessie have stopped working, I just tried a fresh install of stretch this weekend.
That's still somewhat unclear. Do you mean options from the main desktop menu** or something you've installed previously yourself? Personally, my choice of (GUI) "package manager" is synaptic and it's continued to work for me since Wheezy, through Jessie and now Stretch.
Trev.
** Under "Preferences" IIRC (and confirmed by @SurferTim): http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... _Main_Menu
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Reshock

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Menu, enable system settings, (graphical) package install. The menu will not open, gives the error message, same as if you fail to select a package and click on install (if it had opened) .
This problem appeared with Stretch and happened to Jessie, about the time Stretch was released after Jessie was updated. This is pre-installed in Raspbian.
I use this as a reference source to find out what is available as it sorts by category or search terms. You can then read a discription. Normally I will install what I find from the Comand Line to find all dependancy and suggestions. Then I can go back to package install to research any questions that I may have.
Last edited by Reshock on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurferTim

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

I don't have the menu selection of which you speak in Stretch..

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Reshock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am
Menu, enable system settings, (graphical) package install...
Like @SurferTim - I don't have that option either ...
So:
1) What version of "Stretch"?
cf:

Code: Select all

pi@raspiP3BStretch16Gb:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspiP3BStretch16Gb 4.9.41-v7+ #1023 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:15 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
2) How, when, did you install it (eg. from a "clean", fresh image or via some form of upgrade path from a Jessie install)?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Reshock

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Menu, Preferences Main Menu Editor, System Tools, click to enable.
Full Raspbian, it has always been there, just explore. I used it many years ago with Mandrake. Just don't get carried away, pick something, go to the command line and let it tell you what to add with it. Well at least when it works.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

That menu entry is hidden for a reason. That should be used to open .deb files, I am guessing. It's not meant to be launched directly.

Reshock

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 pm

It has always worked before in Jessie. Something broke it upon updating.
My original question was, who, Debian, or a change for Raspbian, or?
Where do I find a solution? For myself, this is a important resource.

SurferTim

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:05 pm

What are you getting from those that you can't get with Menu -> Preferences -> Add/Remove Software?

Reshock

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Apparently just a familiar location and some confusion, I knew that one of the 2 options listed for install at that location didn't work. I thank you for straightening me out. 🙃 Now I can go back to setting up Stretch with out some unnecessary items that I have in Jessie. I followed to many levels of suggested and recommended packages with out referring to this resource.
Thank you again for your time.
Robert

New2Rasp

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am

Hi
I am new to Raspberry Pi, but I do understand Jscottcta.
After installing the Raspbian Stretch I tried to do update and upgrade, but it took 2 day where I most of the times get error trying to connect to mirrorserver.
I found this forum when I was looking for help to why I could not making a cluster or install Boinc as other have no problem doing with previous Raspbian (Jessie I think it is called).
Just my 2 cents, and of I went to try finding solutions for my problems.

RaspISteve

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Guys,
In the face of the complex issues outlined above and at risk of re-lighting an older thread dare I also add that having updated to Stretch I find EmulationStation doesn't now work.

Agreed my problem is still very much in the noise and folk out there in Never Never Land are on the case but the threads I just followed are way back in Autumn 2017 and weren't something I was going to follow for very long..

So, what was working now doesn't because something got made better. Just seems my world is falling apart because folk just keep making things better and better.

Ho Hum!
Share and Enjoy.

flagtrax

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Perhaps as a new user I've made many errors however I first downloaded and installed Stretch the other day which led me down a road to confusion and frustration. One commenter said that accusations were a bit vague. So I have 2 not so vague. First off I'll describe the scenario. A have a Rpi2b and a zerow. Following a tutorial from the web I was working on a home automation system using a Raspberry Pi as a mosquitto broker. At the same time I was working on some Python tutorials on the same system (that would be Jessie w/pixel). Things were getting a bit messy so I decided to fire up the Rpi zero-w to use as the mosquitto broker and keep it separated from other projects, like tutorials. I then went to the org's page and downloaded the latest (Stretch) system and installed that sd on the zero. After setting up all the necessary software to run mosquitto. I found it would not run on the zero.
At that point I swapped sd cards between the Rpi2b and the zero, (putting Stretch on the Rpi2b and Jessie on the zero. and Lo and Behold, both ran mosquitto! Yep, Jessie ran mosquitto fine on the zero-w! So I left them that way for the time being, and in going back to my Python tutorial, I found the the scripts I'd written would not run on the Stretch system. One involved a simple script to continuously monitor the camera. (which had worked under Jessie) At the end of a long list of errors was one that stated that the camera wasn't enabled.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 456, in _init_camera
    self._camera = mo.MMALCamera()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/mmalobj.py", line 2279, in __init__
    super(MMALCamera, self).__init__()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/mmalobj.py", line 633, in __init__
    prefix="Failed to create MMAL component %s" % self.component_type)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/exc.py", line 184, in mmal_check
    raise PiCameraMMALError(status, prefix)
picamera.exc.PiCameraMMALError: Failed to create MMAL component b'vc.ril.camera': Out of memory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/pyCam_continuous.py", line 2, in <module>
    camera = picamera.PiCamera()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 431, in __init__
    self._init_camera(camera_num, stereo_mode, stereo_decimate)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 460, in _init_camera
    "Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' "
picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' and ensure that the camera has been enabled.
Since typing is not my favorite pastime I went into the configuration menu on the gui selected enable for the camera, rebooted. and the camera still wasn't enabled. I did that twice. I haven't yet tried to enable the camera from the CLI since I will have to research how to do it. I could not try that Python script on the zero-w because the camera is different, and I don't have that one. It was stated that not all drivers and/or hardware can be tested in the beta, but these are things to me are fundamental and should have been tested. Again I'm new to the Pi world but I do have a great bit of other experience. And I understand that in an open source/ free software situation things are a bit different. But I apologize for saying things seem to me to be a bit helter/skelter.

UPDATE: At this point I'd like to say that after going into the CLI and running raspi-config, the desktop menu still shows the camera disabled. And the Python script still won't run.

import picamera
camera = picamera.PiCamera()
camera.resolution = (640,480)
camera.brightness = (60)
camera.start_preview()
Let me re-iterate...with the Jessie ver. in it is fine.

scruss

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 am

flagtrax wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm
… I went into the configuration menu on the gui selected enable for the camera, rebooted. and the camera still wasn't enabled.
Have you checked the cable is inserted properly? Sounds like the Stretch installation can't find it.

Enabling from command line is easier than the graphical way:

sudo raspi-config
then 5 Interfacing OptionsP1 CameraYes.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

flagtrax

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 am

Yes I have checked the cable, and as stated if the sd card with Jessie is inserted it works

scruss

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Are you running a full (not lite), recent (sudo apt update ; sudo apt dist-upgrade) version of Stretch? If you

cat /etc/os-release
, it should show something like PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)" and some other stuff.

What's the output of

vcgencmd get_camera
?
On a Zero W running Stretch with a NoIR v2 camera, I get: supported=1 detected=1. Anything less than 1s for both means problems.

What does

raspistill --timeout 0 --fullscreen -v
do? You can even do this over ssh or headless, and if it doesn't immediately exit, Ctrl+C will stop it. On the same Raspberry Pi Zero W, I get:

raspistill Camera App v1.3.11

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename (null)
Time delay 0, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No
Capture method : Run forever

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Flicker Avoid Mode 'off'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera preview port to video render.
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
^Cmmal: Aborting program
I tried your code on the same Zero W via VNC. It previewed properly under both Python 2 and Python 3.

Since I use a Zero W for a Mosquitto broker without any problems under Stretch, I think it's your card: reimage, and try again. Swapping cards between versions of Raspberry Pis seldom ends well, as they use different kernel modules to enable features.

If these don't work, maybe start a new thread, as this is a huge old thread and you're having specific camera problems.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

flagtrax

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Yes I was running the full version. I say was because, in an effort to get back to what I was trying to do in the first place I reverted back to Raspbian Jessie in order to move forward with the projects/instructionals I'm working on. That being said I probably won't pursue using stretch until I have more time.

Return to “Troubleshooting”