DAldred

Re: Raspbian Stretch (9.1) has arrived !!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm

DAldred wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 am
I'm having trouble with Stretch and setting u a Pi Zero W headless....
Following discussions on Reddit, two of us who had been having this issue now have wireless connectivity after adding a second network to the wpa_supplicant - one which can be completely fake.

My full wpa_supplicant.conf now looks like this (with real network data replaced, of course):

Code: Select all

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="my_real_ssid"
    scan_ssid=1
    psk="my_real_password"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

network={
    ssid="any_old_fake_ssid"
    scan_ssid=1
    psk="fakefake"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
At this point I have no idea why this works, but it does!

Edit: deleting the fake network after a first successful connection is OK: the Pi will still connect to the real one. It seems to need this only once.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Can't get my DS-1307 RTC to work? I started a thread on the issue here, viewtopic.php?f=66&t=191120&p=1199930#p1199930 Anybody with a similar issues can post there if they like.

mattmiller

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Following discussions on Reddit, two of us who had been having this issue now have wireless connectivity after adding a second network to the wpa_supplicant - one which can be completely fake.
Just to add more info to the mux I setup my Pi3 headlessly using my standard wpa_supplicant and that worked fine so its not a generic fault

elkberry

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 pm

DAldred wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 am
I'm having trouble with Stretch and setting u a Pi Zero W headless....snip...
Exactly the same issue over here.
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

piglet

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Argh! Just upgraded and the stupid thing has installed some kind of screensaver to the gui session that blanks the screen and forces me to log in after a while.

How to get rid of it (or at least the password part)? I can't see any preferences menu for it...

Martin Frezman

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 pm

piglet wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm
Argh! Just upgraded and the stupid thing has installed some kind of screensaver to the gui session that blanks the screen and forces me to log in after a while.

How to get rid of it (or at least the password part)? I can't see any preferences menu for it...
Technically, it is not "forcing" you to "log in" after a while; you are already logged in and nothing can change that. It is instead asking for your credentials to unlock the screen.

Anyway, the easiest is probably to "apt-get purge xscreensaver".

Failing that, you could edit the file:

~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

and remove the line that references xscreensaver.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm

What I do is

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
Then go to its settings and select "disable screen saver". Screen never blanks out on me then.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Started all over again from scratch and my RTC is now working. Must have been a glitch the first time around.

alnaseh

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:25 am

i have faced couple of issues in my script:

- i cannot disable Power management for wireless. usually i edit '/etc/network/interfaces' and add 'wireless-power off' under the wlan0
- any script in '/etc/network/if-up.d' is previously triggered multiple times based on the number of interfaces. now "$IFACE" return "--all" for all the interfaces so it is triggered only twice, one for "lo" and one for the rest.

piglet

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 am

Martin Frezman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 pm
Anyway, the easiest is probably to "apt-get purge xscreensaver".
alphanumeric wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm
What I do is

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
Then go to its settings and select "disable screen saver". Screen never blanks out on me then.
Thanks both. In trying to sort this out last night I installed xscreensaver....saw how much stuff it brought along, and uninstalled it. That seems to have fixed the problem.

I guess it wasn't xscreensaver that was asking for the credentials, as it wasn't flagged as already installed when I tried to install it.

Martin Frezman

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:33 am

I guess it wasn't xscreensaver that was asking for the credentials, as it wasn't flagged as already installed when I tried to install it.
That's very interesting. I can't imagine what else it would/could be.

That's why I made the assumption that xscreensaver was now installed by default.

Notes:
1) It didn't used to be - which is why it was always one of the first thing I install.
2) It wouldn't surprise me to find that it is installed by default in "Stretch".

But apparently it isn't. But what else could it be that would be asking for your creds to unlock the screen?

hippy

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 am

Seems to be generally going fine for me with a clean install on a Pi 3B. Only one 'bug' that I have found but that could just be me ...

Right clicking on the network arrow icon on the task bar of the desktop, clicking on "Wireless & Wired Network Setting" brings up a "Config Error. Error saving /etc/dchcpd.conf. The dhcpcd configuration file is not writeable".

I don't recall having done anything with that file myself. It does however seem to have a rather odd group attribute of "82" and I have no idea what that means. I am auto-logged in as "pi" ...

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root 82 1630 Jul 17 14:13 dhcpcd.conf

Samba is proving a nightmare sharing out the Pi to Windows XP though Telnet and XRDP are working as expected. Samba not working yet is my biggest bugbear so far because that's making things quite inconvenient and awkward.

Trying to install VS Code (code-oss) from Headmelted is also throwing up some major issues.

I have some apps which have tripped themselves up in expecting "eth0" to exist as an interface with the changes there which need investigating and fixing.

mattmiller

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 pm

JFI I always use http://simplesi.net/auto-install-a-simple-samba-setup/ to install Samba and its working for Stretch as well

I am using Win10 not XP :)

Kratos

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Great job with the new system!

Is it just me, or is Chromium throwing a lot of "Aw, Snap" errors when trying to view a YouTube video? I'll give it some more testing, but it seems about every other refresh it throws the "Aw, Snap" page. The RAM is not even full. I had the same issue when trying to view a .GIF file.

I do have the RAM and GPU overclocked, I'll disable and edit this if anything changes.

MPV player hardly plays videos on a pi 2, it barely stutters through a video.

UPDATE:

No overclock at all does not change anything. It just takes longer to load the "Aw, Snap" page. :D
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

MelGrubb

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Samba is proving to be a problem for me as well. I was hoping to hit the forums and find a ton of people complaining about it, but I don't see the flood I was expecting, which means it may be something more specific to my setup (ntfs external drive). I've tried purging and reinstalling samba, but it's not having any effect. The install seems to have gone okay, but the configuration step failed with not a lot of detail given.

Checking on the status gets me this:

�� smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Sat 2017-08-19 14:26:01 EDT; 34s ago
     Docs: man:smbd(8)
           man:samba(7)
           man:smb.conf(5)
 Main PID: 3232 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)

Aug 19 14:26:01 RPHS systemd[1]: smbd.service: main process exited, code=du...GV
Aug 19 14:26:01 RPHS systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.
Aug 19 14:26:01 RPHS systemd[1]: Unit smbd.service entered failed state.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
During the install, I saw these lines:

Samba is not being run as an AD Domain Controller, masking samba-ad-dc-service.
Please ignore the following error about deb-systemd-helper not finding samba-ad-dc-service.
Job for smbd.service failed. See 'systemctl status smbd.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
I'm inclined to think that the dpkg error is the result of samba-ad-dc-service not being found, since it comes immediately after the line telling me not to worry about the following error, but since it causes dpkg to fail during configuration, it's kind of a problem for me.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

hippy

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 pm

MelGrubb wrote:
I got the same 'masking' warning and error but just ignored it as it suggested. Not sure if I got a 'error exit' though.

If you can let me know what to type to see the status I can take a look to see how mine is.

It appears Samba was/is working with XP for me just not well. Having twiddled and tweaked, rebooted all round, I now have read access to everything on the SD Card as a guest but can't create new files or directories from the XP PC, can't get full access.

Samba is very hit and miss from my own experience and others on the forum. Under Jessie I never had any luck getting access from a Win 10 PC though it was working with full access perfectly from XP and Win 7. Win 10 behaved exactly as I am seeing now with XP. Haven't had a chance to try Stretch Samba from Win 7 or 10 yet.

beta-tester

RPi3 Network booting, server broken

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

hi, the server for RPi3 network booting is broken, when the server is runing Raspbian Stretch.
see here:Raspbian Stretch: RPi3 Network booting, server broken
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, ...

MelGrubb

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:44 am

The service status from above is just "sudo service smdb status". There's also "smbstatus", but that's not as informative.

I tried building a samba share on a fresh Stretch image, and it works just fine, so it's something wrong with upgrading from Jessie. I've tried purging samba and starting over, but it makes no difference.

PythonTech

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:32 am

Kratos wrote:

Is it just me, or is Chromium throwing a lot of "Aw, Snap" errors when trying to view a YouTube video? I'll give it some more testing, but it seems about every other refresh it throws the "Aw, Snap" page. The RAM is not even full. I had the same issue when trying to view a .GIF file.

I do have the RAM and GPU overclocked, I'll disable and edit this if anything changes.

UPDATE:

No overclock at all does not change anything. It just takes longer to load the "Aw, Snap" page. :D

I'm having problems with anything animated on the new Chromium. Gif's seem to trigger it into crashing. Makes it impossible to browse reddit.

Version 60.0.3112.89 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 9.1 (32-bit)

I'm not overclocked at all.

If there is any testing you would like me to do let me know. This makes the browser unusable.

PythonTech

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 am

Kratos wrote:

UPDATE:

I'm having the same issue. I can't even get a youtube page to load. Also having tons of problems with animations. Trying to load a gif on reddit crashes it instantly.

Version 60.0.3112.89 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 9.1 (32-bit)

Courious as to why they would use a dev build when updates to chromium are so few and far in between. There was a recent version 60 stable build put out about 2 weeks ago.

If there is any testing that I can do to help, let me know. This makes the browser unusable.

tpylkko

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 am

If Samba is not working on xp, maybe the min version is set up for something higher than what xp uses in the conf file? After the sambacry exploit was discovered, changes were made to prevent unsafe setup

I have noticed that setting up Samba is always really cumbersome due to the many many odd set up configuration possibilities. I have moved to using nfs entirely because of that

Martin Frezman

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am

I have moved to using nfs entirely because of that
What do you use on Windows to access your NFS shares?

beta-tester

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 am

MelGrubb wrote:
During the install, I saw these lines:

Samba is not being run as an AD Domain Controller, masking samba-ad-dc-service.
Please ignore the following error about deb-systemd-helper not finding samba-ad-dc-service.
i only have that same message at installing samba,
but i don't have any issues with samba itself.
i can use the shared folders with windows 10 as usual.
but maybe with earlier windows version you will have trouble (e.g. Windows XP), because of the SMB protocol level.
Stretch is using a newer level (SMB3/4) by default now, for security reason.
in Jessie SMB1 was default.
Martin Frezman wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am
I have moved to using nfs entirely because of that
What do you use on Windows to access your NFS shares?
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 have built-in nfs-client support, but you have to enable that feature in:
software -> windows-features -> service for nfs -> nfs-client.
then you can connect you to the nfs similar as to a smb share.

DirkS

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 have built-in nfs-client support, but you have to enable that feature in:
NFS client is not available on all versions of Win (not on Home / Pro AFAIAA)

beta-tester

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 pm

DirkS wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 pm
beta-tester wrote:
NFS client is not available on all versions of Win (not on Home / Pro AFAIAA)
i have the windows Pro version, and it is available there.

Return to “General discussion”