1dot0

Pi2 SD image (old Pi2): will it p'n'p work for a new Pi 3 too?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 pm

hi,
my elder Pi2 is broken, does not start when plugging USB voltage (5V, 2A) any more (no LED going on, getting warm, 0.9A current for nothing - a friend's Pi2 works fine at that USB though).
Now I have to buy a new one, and I am concerned about my current SD image:
will it p'n'p work for a new Pi 3 too?
I actually do not want to make all the software installations for a new Pi again from the scratch, that would cost me 1 month of really hard work probably... If it wouldn't work for a Pi3 then I would buy another Pi2 again instead :?

topguy

Re: Pi2 SD image (old Pi2): will it p'n'p work for a new Pi 3 too?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:09 pm

If the card was updated regularly and not too long ago it might work well in your Pi3.
If not then it might fail to boot. ( you might use your friends Rpi2 to do the update maybe. )

if you need a month to reinstall software then I suggest you make yourself a guide or make frequent backups.
If you buy a new card and use that on the RPi3 you can use an usb sd-card reader to read the files from the old card.

1dot0

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

I have made backups frequently (last update/upgrade about 1-2 weeks ago), and the SD is fine - making another update/upgrade on another Pi2 is not a problem though.

I do know what I have to reinstall and re-configure, I actually have a list of all things to be done. But I want to be 100% sure that I won't fail by no means with my old Pi2 SD card if I now purchase a Pi3 and put it in there.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 pm

If the card has NOOBS you're out of luck, because it's monster pain in the tail to update the bootcode on NOOBS systems.

Plain Raspbian should work as long as the system has had a recent sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade run on it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

1dot0

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I have installed Raspian Jessie via NOOBS, but then updated vos update/upgrade -
so what does this mean for my problem eventually? Better buy an old Pi2 again?

BMS Doug

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

1dot0 wrote:
I have installed Raspian Jessie via NOOBS, but then updated vos update/upgrade -
You can't buy an old Pi2 (except maybe 2nd hand), the Pi2's that you can buy now have the same processor as the Pi3.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

1dot0

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm
1dot0 wrote:
You can't buy an old Pi2 (except maybe 2nd hand), the Pi2's that you can buy now have the same processor as the Pi3.
exactly, I can old ones second-hand if I want, that's what I would do.
So what about the Pi3 and my NOOBS-based aupdated old-Pi2 SD card? will it run or sure or not?

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm

1dot0 wrote:
That's a childish reply, you'll do better by looking at other ways to retrieve your valuable data from your old system. Or go looking for the painful method of updating a NOOBS card by copying things from a NOOBS 2.4.2 SDCard (using a USB SDCard reader).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

1dot0

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

I don't understand.
Can I put my old Pi2 SD card into a Pi3 and will it boot and run then everything or not?
Last edited by 1dot0 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

So what about the Pi3 and my NOOBS-based aupdated old-Pi2 SD card? will it run or sure or not?
It is very likely that without some action on your part that the microSD card will NOT boot up an RPi3 or other similar recent hardware.

There is documentation that explains what to do: it involves 'transplanting' some vital files from the RECOVERY partition of a current NOOBS Installer into the corresponding partition of your old, non-functioning microSD card.

Obviously there is a risk of error during this process, so having a tested working backup would be advisable, but obviously tricky with a now broken RPi2.

An alternative might be to do a clean installation of a current release of Raspbian onto a new microSD card in preparation for booting your new RPi3. Then use a USB card reader/writer dongle to recover essential materials from the microSD card from the old system.

(On reviewing previous posts I can see that @DougieLawson has already made the same recommendation, but not at such length.)

1dot0

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:05 pm

It is very likely that without some action on your part that the microSD card will NOT boot up an RPi3 or other similar recent hardware.

There is documentation that explains what to do: it involves 'transplanting' some vital files from the RECOVERY partition of a current NOOBS Installer into the corresponding partition of your old, non-functioning microSD card.

Obviously there is a risk of error during this process, so having a tested working backup would be advisable, but obviously tricky with a now broken RPi2.

An alternative might be to do a clean installation of a current release of Raspbian onto a new microSD card in preparation for booting your new RPi3. Then use a USB card reader/writer dongle to recover essential materials from the microSD card from the old system.

(On reviewing previous posts I can see that @DougieLawson has already made the same recommendation, but not at such length.)

ok, now I understand, I just did not know all those details. Especially I did not know that a NOOBS Jessie is different from a single Raspbian Jessie.
Too many "if" and "may" and "propbably won't", finally no "it surely will work" at all.
So I'll try to get another old Pi2 then, thank you, that was exactly the information which I needed.

Return to “General discussion”