exartemarte

Lending Money to RS

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 am

I recently ordered a second Pi, with extras, from RS and was told "within ten weeks". Fair enough - I know what the supply situation is. But the b***ards charged my debit card immediately, so they get interest-free use of forty-odd quid of my money for up to ten weeks, without so much as a by-your-leave.

This may not be illegal, but as far as I'm concerned it's certainly unethical and is the sort of cheap scam I would expect from back-street shysters. Well done RS - you have just joined the (pretty short) list of suppliers I will never buy from again.

rasbeer

Re: Lending Money to RS

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 am

What's interest? ;-)
Unfortunately, until the supplier duopoly is broken, they'll be able to get away with stuff like this.

(Unless perhaps the good folks at the Foundation are prepared to take it up with them.)

Mortimer

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 am

I thought distance selling reg's required goods to be dispatched within 30 days of payment being made?
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 am

exartemarte wrote:I recently ordered a second Pi, with extras, from RS and was told "within ten weeks". Fair enough - I know what the supply situation is. But the b***ards charged my debit card immediately, so they get interest-free use of forty-odd quid of my money for up to ten weeks, without so much as a by-your-leave.

This may not be illegal, but as far as I'm concerned it's certainly unethical and is the sort of cheap scam I would expect from back-street shysters. Well done RS - you have just joined the (pretty short) list of suppliers I will never buy from again.
I believe they should not being doing that. The Foundation does talk to the suppliers regularly to try and sort out stuff like this, I'll see if I can get this mentioned. Also, its worth emailing Mike at RS (you'll need to search the forums for actual email address, I don't have it, sorry) with problems like this, he has been very helpful sorting out stuff like this.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rasbeer

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 am

I think this is the email: RaspberryPi@rswww.com

robwriter

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 am

When I ordered I'm pretty sure they specifically said that they were going to take my money. But I wanted another Pi more than I cared about this.

I'd hope RS are aware of the law, but be interesting if someone in the know could check.

exartemarte

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Okay, it is mentioned in the FAQs (No 23 out of 30), and I hadn't read them. But the fact that it's in the small print doesn't make it all right. A few days wouldn't matter, but taking money when the goods won't be available for ten weeks is a rip-off, taking advantage of a near-monopoly franchise. Do RS pay their suppliers ten weeks in advance?

It's a pity that something basically altruistic, such as the Pi Foundation, is besmirched by association with this sort of sharp practice.

The price is coming down on eBay - if it comes down a little more I shall take great delight in cancelling my order from RS.

rasbeer

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 am

exartemarte wrote:The price is coming down on eBay
For RasPis? How much do they go for now?
exartemarte wrote:if it comes down a little more I shall take great delight in cancelling my order from RS.
I'm pretty sure I've seen complaints about RS's treatment cancelled orders too. This could just set a whole new PIA scenario rolling...

jamesh

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 am

I asked a Foundation person to look in to it - its in a list of stuff for clarification.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

exartemarte

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:59 am

rasbeer wrote:
exartemarte wrote:The price is coming down on eBay
For RasPis? How much do they go for now?
Mostly about £45 - £50, once you've taken into account the postage, but a couple have slipped by at around £35 while I wasn't looking - I'd snap one up at that price.

Some still go for quite a bit more - UK sellers willing to post overseas seem to get better prices. A few sellers still ask stupid prices, but mostly they don't get any bids.

exartemarte

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 am

jamesh wrote:I asked a Foundation person to look in to it - its in a list of stuff for clarification.
Thank you.

It's not the money, it's the principle. I hate being taken for a ride.

clickykbd

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:46 am

Element14, at least with the early orders, wasn't doing this. I even had to call them to change my billing info because I had to cancel that card prior to my order going through.

exartemarte

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 am

No, Farnell didn't do it to me, either.

My first Pi was an early one from Farnell, whom I had dealt with before. Now that I'm ready to use a second Pi, I ordered from RS since orders are still limited to one per customer. The lesson, clearly, is to order from Farnell / Element 14 rather than RS whenever possible.

(And before anyone asks, I don't think I'm cheating the system by ordering a second Pi. Those who were desperate will have got one by now, and I think the restriction was to avoid people buying by the box-load and reselling for whatever the market would bear, not to prevent an enthusiast having two, ordered months apart.)

exartemarte

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 am

exartemarte wrote:I recently ordered a second Pi, with extras, from RS and was told "within ten weeks". Fair enough - I know what the supply situation is. But the b***ards charged my debit card immediately, so they get interest-free use of forty-odd quid of my money for up to ten weeks, without so much as a by-your-leave.

Got my second Pi on eBay, and I have cancelled the RS order. I wouldn't have done that if they hadn't charged my debit card 2-3 months before they could supply the goods. RS has lost a sale and a customer - permanently.

Needless to say, the organisation which charged my debit card within hours now needs up to fourteen days to refund the cash.

The lesson is clear: if you have a choice, buy elsewhere. I don't suppose anyone from RS will read this - they don't strike me as an organisation much interested in customers' opinions - but I think it's unfortunate that the foundation sees fit to deal with these people.

Return to “Off topic discussion”