RDK

Networking and Setting up a bridge in Jessie

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:06 pm

As with a lot of folks I'm confused about the networking setup in Jessie. Now, after lots of reading, experimenting and head scratching I though I had had it figured out. But...

Questions:
1. My wired network is managed by a SonicWall firewall router. Most IP addresses are assigned based on the MAC address of the client NIC cards. Historically this has worked perfectly.

My wireless network is managed by a Netgear WiFi router. Like the SonicWall, client IP addresses are controlled and assigned based on the MAC address. Again historically this has worked.

Using Rasbian Wheezy and the "/etc/network/interfaces" file I never had an issue getting , via dhcp, the IP addresses I had setup on the routers.

NOW, it seems to be out of control and more random. If I use the default interfaces file and no changes in the "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" file the assigned IP addresses for both eth0 and wlan0 seem to be ignoring my router MAC rules. I get IP addresses but since I'm trying to set thing up for "headless" operation, this IP address issue is a show stopper.

What am I doing wrong?

2. My current project will have a Pi running as a bridge. It has two wired Ethernet interfaces, eth0 and eth1, and the bridge interface br0, as defined in the interfaces file:

Code: Select all

auto lo br0

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual

#iface br0 inet dhcp
iface br0 inet manual
   bridge_ports eth0 eth1

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface default inet dhcp

With Wheezy the bridge interface (br0) was always the same IP as the eth0 interface. Now with Jessie, while ifconfig shows the same MAC address for both eth0 and br0, they each have different addresses and neither the one specified in my router's DHCP assignment rules.

Yes, I can force the desired IP address for eth0 using this code in the dhcpcd.conf file:

interface eth0

static ip_address=192.168.59.29/24
 static routers=192.168.59.1
 static domain_name_servers=192.168.59.1
However, I really prefer to do IP assignments via the router.

Even when I do force the above address on eth0, the address shown by ifconfig for br0 is not the same and varies each time I reboot the Pi. The address for eth0 is as specified in the dhcpcd.conf file above.

Again, what am I doing wrong? Is there something different with Jessie regarding bridges? Should I have an interface section in the dhcpcd.conf file for the bridge br0?

Thanks....RDK

epoch1970

Re: Networking and Setting up a bridge in Jessie

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 pm

AFAIK dhcpcd doesn't know how to configure bridge interfaces.
So just "denyinterface eth0 eth1 br0" in dhcpcd.conf
and your usual wheezy interfaces file should work.
Search around the forum, there are plenty of bridge setups.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

RDK

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks for the reply.
Search around the forum, there are plenty of bridge setups
I have tried to search this forum (and the web also) for bridge setups for my Pi V2 running Jessie. I have not been able to find any that I found useful. Perhaps you can suggest some or provide a search string. I've tried: bridge, bridge-ports, etc.

I'm going to try adding

denyinterfaces br0,eth0,eth1,wlan0 
to my dhcpcd.conf file and then go back to the content of my interfaces file from Wheezy.....RDK

RDK

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:52 am

Well, nothing seems to have fixed the issue so I could continue to use DHCP and get the IP assignment based on the MAC rules in my routers. I have fallen back on assigning static address in the dhcpcd.conf file...RDK

Return to “Beginners”