RandomOT

Updating old distros?

Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello all,
I would like to know if there was a possibility of reviving some old distros to make them support 1G or ram? Because having the Raspberry Pi 3B, I cannot use some 512M based distros as PwnPi or some other, and it is a shame we cannot just update some code to make it support higher ram... Or, can we? Thank you for replying!

RandomOT

Re: Updating old distros?

Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 am

Anyone?

Jednorozec

Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am

PwnPi runs just fine on the 3B.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 am

Have you tried it??? It does not boot on mine... How did you do if it worked with you? You are sure you tested it on a RPi 3 Model B?

SkyRise

Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am

Any Linux-based system will use all the available RAM (i.e. that not given over to the GPU in the case of the Raspberry Pi)

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am

Again, I looked at it and he said for example that he added support for 512M of ram, he would not have said that randomly would he? Otherwise, has anyone tested PwnPi for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

SkyRise

Fri May 19, 2017 10:28 am

If it's not been updated since before the 3B was released, then you'd need to update the relevant files in the /boot folder with the newer kernel, and it should boot like magic.

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

Where could I find the replacement files? Do you have any tutorial please?

Jednorozec

Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am

RandomOT wrote:Have you tried it??? It does not boot on mine... How did you do if it worked with you? You are sure you tested it on a RPi 3 Model B?
I installed it some years ago on a hard drive and have kept it updated. I don't remember which RPi I used initially but it's running right now on a 3B. You could try booting in an older Pi and doing an update.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

bensimmo

Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

Each Pi needs a slightly different bit of bootcode (or whatever they call it).
You will need to update your detup or the distribution with it.
If it is based around Raspian and uses Raspian files then an apt dist-upgrade may get what you need.
Other than that, get the maintainer to update it or spin a new project of it and fix it with the community.

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
RandomOT wrote:Have you tried it??? It does not boot on mine... How did you do if it worked with you? You are sure you tested it on a RPi 3 Model B?
I installed it some years ago on a hard drive and have kept it updated. I don't remember which RPi I used initially but it's running right now on a 3B. You could try booting in an older Pi and doing an update.
Is it possible you could upload the bootcode you have for your 3B so I could download it and try it out?

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Could anyone actually use a Pi2 to update and upgrade the distro and upload it on the internet for me as I do not have a Pi2? It would be awesome!

B.Goode

Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 pm

RandomOT wrote:Could anyone actually use a Pi2 to update and upgrade the distro and upload it on the internet for me as I do not have a Pi2? It would be awesome!
It must be SO frustrating to want to do penetration testing but be so uninformed that you cannot get your own machine to boot!

You could try asking at the contact page for the distribution for help: http://pwnpi.sourceforge.net/index.html_q=contact.html

Failing that, all the files that a microSD card needs to boot an Operating System on an RPi are freely downloadable from from RPF sites: noone needs to upload anything special for you.

RandomOT

Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm

B.Goode wrote:
RandomOT wrote:Could anyone actually use a Pi2 to update and upgrade the distro and upload it on the internet for me as I do not have a Pi2? It would be awesome!
It must be SO frustrating to want to do penetration testing but be so uninformed that you cannot get your own machine to boot!

You could try asking at the contact page for the distribution for help: http://pwnpi.sourceforge.net/index.html_q=contact.html

Failing that, all the files that a microSD card needs to boot an Operating System on an RPi are freely downloadable from from RPF sites: noone needs to upload anything special for you.
I've been trying for a week, the dev team of pwnpi does not reply. I got someone kind enough to boot it on a Pi2 and to send it to me, it's in the process of being done. But there's nothing frustrating, patience is key to almost anything... I'm just interested in testing my system's vulnerabilities to patch them up. I'm not looking to do anything illegal nor was I begging someone to upload some files for me, I was just asking someone to do it kindly if that someone got some spare time to help others. Do not mix up words please, thanks for the advice though!

W. H. Heydt

Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 pm

RandomOT wrote:Again, I looked at it and he said for example that he added support for 512M of ram, he would not have said that randomly would he? Otherwise, has anyone tested PwnPi for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?
You may be misreading what the maintainer has said. The *program* may have been updated to use 512MB, not that it was updated to run on a 512MB Pi. After all, Pis went from 256MB to 512MB quite early and have had 1GB since the launch of the Pi2B.

mfa298

Sat May 20, 2017 8:09 am

RandomOT wrote: I've been trying for a week, the dev team of pwnpi does not reply. I got someone kind enough to boot it on a Pi2 and to send it to me, it's in the process of being done. But there's nothing frustrating, patience is key to almost anything... I'm just interested in testing my system's vulnerabilities to patch them up. I'm not looking to do anything illegal nor was I begging someone to upload some files for me, I was just asking someone to do it kindly if that someone got some spare time to help others. Do not mix up words please, thanks for the advice though!
Considering that image was released in 2012 (4 and a half years ago) I can't imagine there's much in there that's particularly useful. It does seem somewhat odd that you want to use such an old distro to test for vulnerabilities (which appear all the time)

VirHater

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi all
right now im downloading a pwnpi found on a website the guy say he update the image to run on new Pi

credit go to this artivce if its work

"PwnPi 3.0, FruitWifi 2.1.2 & Raspberry 2 / B+ " : search it on google i dont know if im able to post link Do to my new profile and 1st post here

hommar

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Why my message was deleted again?
First I think my message was deleted becouse forum was updated...
But message about ( I update topic-distr for rPI2&rPI3, and ask test it) was deleted again

Честно, лень подбирать правильные английские выражения... и так сойдёт, всё равно сотрут...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm

It was deleted because it pointed to an alternative download location of a probably hacked version of an operating system, and I got warnings and complaints about it.

For the record, I want to warn users that downloading an OS from susceptible sources is a BAD idea!

As for Russian text, note that I can read it....
Be polite please, don't lower yourself..

Return to “General discussion”