blc

Re: What is your current PC/OS

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:49 am

My Commodore 64 is better than your ZX Spectrum! My NES is better than your Master System! My Atari STe is better than your Amiga! My PC is better than your Mac! Linux is better than Windows! BASIC is better than Python!

We've done this platform/OS argument so... many... times...

gordon77

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 am

Woll wrote:Windows is way too heavy. Windows 95 was okay as it was an operating system but it crashed alot. Now Windows seems to choke PC's.
This is the problem l found with Windows 95, 98 etc, it would crash a lot but eventually they would fix it BUT then bring out a new version and start again, and you would need new hardware every time to keep up, and you can't just keep using old versions as there's no updates for the inevitable security fixes etc after a while.

This seems to have improved so far with Windows 8 and 10, from my experience, I know others won't agree, as it's kept my old pentium still usable.

Heater

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:41 am

blc,
Yes. We have to keep at it though. So many people haven't seen the light yet.

:)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

expandables

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Heater wrote:blc,

Trust me if they saw the light they would be blind :lol:
I tried to get some one i know that has a slow pc to use lubuntu and they was very frustrated with it.
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

Bernards

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm

I am using HP laptop and I stick on Windows 7. We tried Windows 10 once but we switch back to windows 7 after that.

Why? Not all of the applications/programs that we have in windows 7 works in windows 10 and aside that, if you have a low hard drive space, then you will not meet the system requirement for windows 10.

You need at least 20 GB of open hard drive space to install 64 bit version of windows 10 and 16 GB for 32 bit version.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:02 pm

expandables wrote:
Heater wrote:blc,

Trust me if they saw the light they would be blind :lol:
I tried to get some one i know that has a slow pc to use lubuntu and they was very frustrated with it.
Since this thread has been necro'd anyway...

The argument I use is that, if yu can use Windows or Mac, then a Linux GUI desktop will look very familiar. When that doesn't work, many times you can point out that their Android phone runs on Linux (it's well hidden, of course, but Linux is under there). That tends to break through the "fear of Linux" one runs into so often. Of source, there's nothing like firing up a Pi and letting someone play around with it before spending time pointing out that it is running Linux.

DavidS

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:21 pm

expandables wrote:I have a Lenovo y50 with Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual boot.
I also have all versions of the Pi except the A and Zero :shock:
:twisted:
Well my PC's (personal computers) are Raspberry Pi B, A+, 2B, 3B, Atari TOS Compatibles, and Amiga, so that kind of puts a different view from most.

On the RPi I use Raspbian and RISC OS.

On the Atari TOS Compatibles I use either TOS 4.04 + Mint (sometimes without MiNT) + XaAES + TerraDesk, or EmuTOS.

On the Amiga I use AmigaOS 3.9.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 am

I find that recently I'm using Winux a lot. Or is it Lindows ?

You see, this is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10. Which is great for keeping my boss happy as it runs Skype and Webex easily and he can keep in touch with me.

For serious work there is now the "Linux Subsystem for Windows" on Windows 10. So, I get a lot of the Linuxy goodness on the otherwise useless Win 10.

Mind you "Linux Subsystem for Windows" is a big fib as there is not actually any Linux in there. It does however run x86 binaries from the Linux based Ubuntu operating system.

And then, other programs I use, Chrome, Firefox, GIMP, Visual Studio Code, Libre Office etc work just as well on Windows and they do Linux or Mac. Sometimes I forget what OS I'm talking to at the time.

jahboater

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 am

I saw this https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/statc ... d-windows/ (android is Linux).

Personally, I use Linux on all my machines. I do have a Windows 7 laptop, but its only been turned on once in the last few years, and then only to check it still worked!

startrek.steve

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:34 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
blc wrote:
topguy wrote:

No fancy hostnames.
My rationale was: I can either remember IP addresses, or Star Wars stuff :)
I'm currently using names from the Apollo space program
xxx.xxx.xxx.5 on my network is saturn (from Saturn 5) - Pi B
xxx.xxx.xxx.9 is called eagle (Apollo 11 LEM) - Pi2B
xxx.xxx.xxx.11 is called apollo - PiB+
xxx.xxx.xxx.13 is called odyssey (that's the LEM again, and the craft that got the crew home) - PiB
xxx.xxx.xxx.15 is called falcon (that's the Apollo 15 LEM name) - PiZero

The other four have really boring names (pi, raspberry, raspberry pi and aplus).
My Uncle Ralph built the Apollo 11 Eagle, he once told me it was that thin you could punch your fist through the wall (Unpressurised I suspect)
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

topgunner

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:50 am

Lenovo Think Centre running Windows 10

doctazz

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 am

I run an ASUS X54 laptop that contains three OS's. Two of them are Linux distributions.

In partition order:
1) Debian Stable (jessie)
2) Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium)
3) Ubuntu Studio
4) Android x86 Marshmallow 6.0

I fit in two partitions for Linux swap. I tend to use Ubuntu Studio as the primary OS these days. My day job requires using some Windows apps, so Win10 still makes an appearance.

topgunner

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 am

doctazz,

How was the upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10?

ab1jx

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm

OK, I'll jump in.

Desktop: Dell GX-270 single core P4 from about 2002, triple boots into OpenBSD 5.7 by default, also Windows XP Pro SP3 and Arch Linux. Hostname is freebie on wired LAN, desktop on WiFi (in OpenBSD)

Laptop: Dell Latitude D530 dual core Pentium Mobile from about 2008. Boots into OpenBSD 5.7 by default, also Windows XP Pro SP3. Used to also boot into Debian i386 until I made the mistake of putting non-stable stuff in my sources.list. Miss that most because I had most of a working Android development environment on it. All winter it's been mostly logging outdoor temperatures. On LAN its hostname is d530, no WiFi working at the moment.

I retired in 2009 and bought used Dells of model numbers I was familiar with. Without hard drives I picked up the desktop for $75 and the laptop for $38 on eBay. I have a Dell OEM XP install CD that installs without CD key or activation. I've never spent money for a Microsoft product.

But all winter I've been on 1 of my 2 Pi 3B's upstairs where it's warm connecting by WiFi to desktop and my phone for internet. I've got 2 128 GB SD cards and a 64, this connects by USB to my laser printer. Other than not being able to burn DVDs (I use them for photo storage) it's pretty much a full-fledged computer. I just bought it a 22 inch 1920x1080 monitor a week ago. Backups? I just clone my SD card. I have another 3B downstairs and a Zero that isn't connected. This 3B seems comparable speed-wise to my Pentium 4 from 2002 except for floating point stuff, very noticeable in Povray renders, especially multiple frame stuff for animations. A heat sink would help some.

DavidS

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 am

Heater wrote:I find that recently I'm using Winux a lot. Or is it Lindows ?
Well Lindows got renamed to PCLinux OS sometime around 2006 or 2008. As to Winux I did not know you had one of those old early MIPS machines, Winux is a nightare version of Unix, as i am sure you can attest.

You see, this is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10. Which is great for keeping my boss happy as it runs Skype and Webex easily and he can keep in touch with me.

For serious work there is now the "Linux Subsystem for Windows" on Windows 10. So, I get a lot of the Linuxy goodness on the otherwise useless Win 10.

Mind you "Linux Subsystem for Windows" is a big fib as there is not actually any Linux in there. It does however run x86 binaries from the Linux based Ubuntu operating system.

And then, other programs I use, Chrome, Firefox, GIMP, Visual Studio Code, Libre Office etc work just as well on Windows and they do Linux or Mac. Sometimes I forget what OS I'm talking to at the time.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:05 am

I'm sure I cannot. I have never heard of a "Winux" Unix for MIPS machines. Neither has google. Do you have any links to such a thing?

Somebody has created, or at least started, a "Winux" Linux based OS. No information available: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winuxos/

Anyway, I have never used any "real" Unix apart from Sun workstations back in the day.

DavidS

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Heater wrote:I'm sure I cannot. I have never heard of a "Winux" Unix for MIPS machines. Neither has google. Do you have any links to such a thing?

Somebody has created, or at least started, a "Winux" Linux based OS. No information available: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winuxos/

Anyway, I have never used any "real" Unix apart from Sun workstations back in the day.
I do not think that Winux was an official name, it was just what we called the Unix port. The name came from the fact that every single process required a new manual login to start, thus having many login windows one for each and every process.

If memory serves it was based on Unix v5, and was a poor attempt at improving security, the very concept of having to log in for every new process must have come from a non-programmer admin somewhere that forced his/her will on the programmers that implemented the port.

Did not know about the Linux based OS with that name, I hope it does not derive its name from the same thing as the slang name for the MIPS based Unix that many of us called Winux.

JamesPi123

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 am

I have a 1tb apple mac mini late 2012 running osx el capitan
I have a ipad mini 2
I have 1x Raspberry pi B 512mb
I have 2x Raspberry pi 3 1gb

doctazz

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm

topgunner wrote:doctazz,

How was the upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10?
Sorry about the late reply.

It took about 6 hours, as I was upgrading straight from a Windows 7 backup image. That image is the closest thing I have to a clean Windows 7 installation. I was upgrading an OEM PC. After that, another 2-3 days to reinstall and set up the other OS's.

blaablaaguy

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Im rinning win 7. My laptop isnt playing nice with ubuntu :(
This signature intentionally left blank.

Return to “Off topic discussion”