darkbibble

any news yet on the PI3A??

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm

hi has there been any mentions recently of the release scedule for the PI3A??

i not been around much and couldnt find any updates other than after the CM3 was released.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Heater

Re: any news yet on the PI3A??

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

There is never any pre-release information.

New boards and revisions come when they come.

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 pm

let me get my birthday e-crystal ball out ... whats the date ... oh near
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mattmiller

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:01 pm

hi has there been any mentions recently of the release scedule for the PI3A??
That's the wrong question today

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 pm

The only "announcement" about the Pi3A was last Spring when Dr. Upton "announced" that there would be one. He did say that the launch would be 'after the launch of the CM3' (and that has now happened). On the other hand, he also said at the time that both the CM3 and Pi3A would launch 'later this (2016) year', and that didn't happen.

I have some slim hope that the Pi3A will launch at the anniversary party coming up next weekend, but since I have absolutely zero inside information (which is why I can talk about things like this), take that hope with a large container of salt. I'm usually wrong in my estimates about launch schedules (i.e. I'm not pessimistic *enough*). Still... I have seen some recent things that might suggest an imminent launch, such as shortages of boards among major vendors which *might* be an indication of stock clearing and/or realignment of manufacturing orders to ramp up for a launch. The crystal ball is very cloudy.

bensimmo

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Is there any point in the 3A any more, it been so long since it original announcement, leave it as vapourware.

We have the 3B and the now cut down 3B, the 2B.
A 3A which would be a port adjusted version of either of these, be better to alter the A to a to be a port increased Zero, keeping the mini/micro ports but with WiFi and a USB hub. The A is used for low power compact product where the Zero doesn't work (which must be few).

Anyway, it's all way to late now and it'll be whatever Farnell/RS say the market is wanting out of the A's profile, that the B's and Zero range cannot provide.

Anyway, hope they have a good party

alphanumeric

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 pm

I would buy at least two 3A's, assuming they will have the same footprint as the current A+. To replace two of my A+'s. Being the same size as hats has advantages, especially if you don't need 4 USB ports or the Ethernet port. My A+'s have sense hats on them and run headless. The one full size HDMI and one full size USB is great for setting them up, versus say a Zero. .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Still planned - no idea of timescale.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

solar3000

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm waiting for the pi 4.
Antikythera

Heater

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 pm

solar3000,
Is that the 16 core, 4 GByte RAM, RISC V based Pi 4 ?

:)

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Heater wrote:solar3000,

No...that'll be the Pi5B.

alphanumeric

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 pm

IMHO, for what most do with a Pi, 4 cores is plenty. More RAM will always be welcome though.

bensimmo

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm

alphanumeric wrote:I would buy at least two 3A's, assuming they will have the same footprint as the current A+. To replace two of my A+'s. Being the same size as hats has advantages, especially if you don't need 4 USB ports or the Ethernet port. My A+'s have sense hats on them and run headless. The one full size HDMI and one full size USB is great for setting them up, versus say a Zero. .
I love the shape, but just don't see the point of the need for the full size connectors, when I can have an adaptor at hand or just have the proper micro/mini cables at hand (I still think mini HDMI was a poor choice over micro HDMI as used by tablets).
Given you're paying 4x price for the convenience (both can run at the same speed).
Yes I have 3As but wouldn't dream of buying one now even to fit the SenseHats on.

It's to expensive and large for the tinkerer
It's not cheap enough not to just buy a 2or3B and gain flexibility.

I'd be interested to know, once RPi can start to talk, if it has now changed in design from a year ago, given things have changed and the 2's been updated.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

bensimmo wrote:Is there any point in the 3A any more, it been so long since it original announcement, leave it as vapourware.

We have the 3B and the now cut down 3B, the 2B.
A 3A which would be a port adjusted version of either of these, be better to alter the A to a to be a port increased Zero, keeping the mini/micro ports but with WiFi and a USB hub. The A is used for low power compact product where the Zero doesn't work (which must be few).

Anyway, it's all way to late now and it'll be whatever Farnell/RS say the market is wanting out of the A's profile, that the B's and Zero range cannot provide.

Anyway, hope they have a good party
I'd say there is a lot of point to the 3A. Consider...Right now, the A+ is a Pi Zero on a bigger board that comes with the header pre-installed, has full sized USB and HDMI connectors and takes standard HATs. The Pi3A will have the same quad-core SoC of the 3B (and the 2Bv1.2 aka Pi2B2) and might even have the built-in WiFi/BT of the Pi3B plus--of course--1GB RAM compared to the 512MB of the Pi Zero and the A+.

Even when the Pi3A launches, I think there will still be a niche for the A+512MB, just as there is still a niche for the B+. The B-series Pis, particularly the current top model, are always going to outsell the A-series, but that doesn't mean there aren't places where an A-series board is a better choice, so sales are likely to continue at a modest (for a Pi) pace. Remember that the Model A was (in Eben's words) "a failure" because only 100,000 of them sold. Think about how many SBC makers would give an arm and a leg to have a "failure" like that.

In any case, when the Pi3A arrives, you can put me down for at least two of them, even if all they get used for is Jam demos.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:45 pm

bensimmo wrote: Given you're paying 4x price for the convenience (both can run at the same speed).
Hence the desirability of the Pi3A. It will be MUCH faster than the Pi Zero. It becomes part of the design tradeoff...are you willing to use a bigger board in order to get more memory and processing power? Or are you willing to sacrifice the extra speed and RAM to fit in a smaller space? Decisions, decisions....

alphanumeric

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I use 3B's where I need them, and want the extra performance. I have 2 3B's, an A+ (256meg RAM), an A++ (512meg RAM), 2 Zero's with the CSI and 1 original without it. All in use but the one original model 1 Zero. I had a 2B and B+ and past them on to a friend when I upgraded them to 3B's. I have plans to buy a few more in the very near future. What model they will be will depend on what new releases come out between now and then. ;)

alphanumeric

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
bensimmo wrote: Given you're paying 4x price for the convenience (both can run at the same speed).
Hence the desirability of the Pi3A. It will be MUCH faster than the Pi Zero. It becomes part of the design tradeoff...are you willing to use a bigger board in order to get more memory and processing power? Or are you willing to sacrifice the extra speed and RAM to fit in a smaller space? Decisions, decisions....
That's why I use an 3B with my Pi foundation display, an A+ with my (headless) sense hat, and a Zero with my Explorer pHat. ;)

darkbibble

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 pm

i will be buying 2 or more PI3A, as i would like the added bonus of its micro sized wifi as a handy addition to my PIGear handheld. i dont need extra usb ports on it and i dont have the soldering skills needed for dealing with a pi-zero. plus one or 2 for spares.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 pm

darkbibble wrote:i will be buying 2 or more PI3A, as i would like the added bonus of its micro sized wifi as a handy addition to my PIGear handheld. i dont need extra usb ports on it and i dont have the soldering skills needed for dealing with a pi-zero. plus one or 2 for spares.
Built in WiFi/BT on the Pi3A is a "wished for feature". Nothing has been said one way or another about the reality. Meanwhile, there is a not too terribly expensive alternative for lack of soldering skills (besides the ever present "Learn!!"). To wit: https://thepihut.com/products/gpio-hamm ... solderless (Pimoroni has them also.)

mattmiller

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Built in WiFi/BT on the Pi3A is a "wished for feature".
I'd bet a large amount of money that if/when the Pi3A turns up that it would have built in WiFi/BT

solar3000

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Heater wrote:solar3000,

No...that'll be the Pi5B.

Of course.
It'll be here tomorrow.
It'll be 8GB of RAM, built in 30MP camera, brain scanner, and a secret feature.
Antikythera

cjan

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 am

jamesh wrote:Still planned - no idea of timescale.
pls, for desktop user.
without wifi/bt dsi csi gpio...etc, and extra chips for GB network & USB-3, that say $25.

r3d4

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 am

solar3000 wrote: Of course.
It'll be here tomorrow.
It'll be 8GB of RAM, built in 30MP camera, brain scanner, and a secret feature.
Just the one secret feature :roll:
I expect a minimum of at least 3.1 secret feature's :|

alphanumeric

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 am

I'm hoping it's the same size and layout as the current A+, but has the 3B's SOC, RAM and WIFI BT. I'd settle for the updated SOC and more RAM, onboard WIFI BT would be a bonus.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

alphanumeric wrote:IMHO, for what most do with a Pi, 4 cores is plenty. More RAM will always be welcome though.
Die shrink which leads to power reduction (and--therefore--thermal reduction). The *ability* to use more RAM (whether or not there is more initially will depend on the BoM costs). The one thing I'd actually like to see is faster external I/O to better use MSDs. I think the only--potentially--practical/economic way to do that is USB 3. I don't even care about a clock speed bump. So basically, all I want out of a Pi4B is a die shrink and USB 3. Everything else can stay the same and I'd be a happy camper...especially once a CM4 and USB 3 version of the WD SATA adapter comes along. (And, lest people get upset, I am quite aware of what "die shrink" implies.)

Return to “General discussion”