Martin Frezman

RISCOS and wireless?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Does RISCOS support WiFi at all?

On boot, I get a message about it trying to connect via Ethernet, but nothing about WiFi? Is the problem that it doesn't support my Wifi dongle or is it that it doesn't support WiFi at all?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

dfeugey

Re: RISCOS and wireless?

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:35 am

No, there is no WiFi support... for now. It's possible, as WiFi support was once available on RISC OS computers. But not today.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Martin Frezman

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:49 pm

OK. Thanks.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Micha1982

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Does this change at any time maybe, is anyone working on it? Without internet/wifi it makes no sense to try it out at all to me.
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Micha1982 wrote:
Does this change at any time maybe, is anyone working on it? Without internet/wifi it makes no sense to try it out at all to me.

The Developers do not hang out here:

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... spberry-pi
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

dfeugey

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Internet works... with an Ethernet cable. For WiFi, you'll have to wait, but it's high on the RISC OS' todo list.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:51 am

Micha1982 wrote:
For a desktop computer (such as a RPi with RISC OS) WiFi does not make any since. Use Ethernet instead, like you would with any desktop computer, it works quite well.

You can get on the internet using Ethernet. And there is a LOT MORE to computing than just accessing the internet.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

handsomegenius

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:52 am

DavidS wrote:
For a desktop computer (such as a RPi with RISC OS) WiFi does not make any since.
It's totally the other way around IMO.

The files you need for your Risc OS projects are so small, that there's no real need to worry about plugging straight into the router if it's not conveniently placed.

Here's how I'm dealing with it: http://oi67.tinypic.com/2lm2yrs.jpg

The Pi on the left is running Raspbian - it's mostly a home theatre and retro gaming rig, but I configured dnsmasq for it to serve double duty as a wireless bridge as well.

It works pretty well - I can download files to Risc OS without interrupting my album streaming on youtube. It isn't the fastest way to connect to the internet, but Risc OS doesn't really need it.

rbreslin

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:54 pm

It's not very good not to support wifi.

I am a home/bobbyist and my method of working is the VNC or SSH into my pi from a convenient laptop. I don't have a monitor set up on a table. My pi's are not near to a nework hub (so I'd have to trail cables all through the house). How very inconvenient. Sadly, I will abandon use of Risc OS until it gets its wifi sorted out.

DavidS

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 pm

rbreslin wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:54 pm
It's not very good not to support wifi.

I am a home/bobbyist and my method of working is the VNC or SSH into my pi from a convenient laptop. I don't have a monitor set up on a table. My pi's are not near to a nework hub (so I'd have to trail cables all through the house). How very inconvenient. Sadly, I will abandon use of Risc OS until it gets its wifi sorted out.
How does any of that prevent you from using an Ethernet connection, plug in the network cable to the RPi's?

You still need to hook up a monitor long enough to set up VNC on the RPi to begin with.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

code_exec

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:25 pm

RISC simply doesn't have the drivers for the Pi 3's built-in WiFi. The devs also can't make drivers because the Raspberry Pi hardware, including the WiFi chip, is proprietary.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

code_exec

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm

DavidS wrote:
Micha1982 wrote:
For a desktop computer (such as a RPi with RISC OS) WiFi does not make any since. Use Ethernet instead, like you would with any desktop computer, it works quite well.

You can get on the internet using Ethernet. And there is a LOT MORE to computing than just accessing the internet.
Not everyone uses Ethernet cables to connect to the internet. I use wireless on my laptop, Raspberry Pi 3 (running Ubuntu 18.04), tablets, and phone. Someone's router may be in the living room, while their computer room is upstairs. But they also have a laptop downstairs in the living room using the Ethernet connection! Ethernet is fast but not always convenient.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

DavidS

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:07 pm

code_exec wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm
DavidS wrote:
Micha1982 wrote:

Not everyone uses Ethernet cables to connect to the internet. I use wireless on my laptop, Raspberry Pi 3 (running Ubuntu 18.04), tablets, and phone. Someone's router may be in the living room, while their computer room is upstairs. But they also have a laptop downstairs in the living room using the Ethernet connection! Ethernet is fast but not always convenient.
Sounds like good reasons to avoid WiFi in my personal book. If there is both vertical gaps and horizontal gaps in space from the WiFi point then signal quickly becomes an issue, and Ethernet becomes more desirable.

I actually purchased USB Ethernet adapters for use with my Tablet PC, Phone, and other devices that did not come with an Ethernet adapter builtin. I only have WiFi for my phone when I am not sitting at one of my computer desks.

Of course the WiFi for my phone is a bit backwards to most, as my internet connection comes through my cell phone. It is the only internet available to me.

bnedwek

Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 pm

A small wireless bridge (this looks good but haven't used it yet: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/n ... R2000.aspx) would solve this problem nicely.

Return to “RISCOS”