TheLoadedRogue

Selling The Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:27 pm

I am thinking about using the Raspberry Pi in a project that I'm intending to sell upon completion.

Is this allowed?

If so are there any restrictions or requirements?

Thanks in advance

fruitoftheloom

Re: Selling The Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:17 pm

TheLoadedRogue wrote:I am thinking about using the Raspberry Pi in a project that I'm intending to sell upon completion.

Is this allowed?

If so are there any restrictions or requirements?

Thanks in advance
https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules

If you selling in a Case it may need to be tested for EMC:

viewtopic.php?t=168315&p=1082552
Retired disgracefully.....

Heater

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:23 pm

If you are providing Raspian with your product be sure to be familiar and compliant with the licensing terms of every software package in there.
Last edited by Heater on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 pm

TheLoadedRogue wrote:I am thinking about using the Raspberry Pi in a project that I'm intending to sell upon completion.
That's precisely the reason the Compute Module (CM) and soon to be released CM3 exist.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Heater wrote:If you providing Raspian with your product be sure to be familiar and compliant with the licensing terms of every software package in there.
Or, most likely, any other software that might be used on a Pi, unless the OEM writes *everything* that goes with it, right down to the OS.

TheLoadedRogue

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

OK so I can sell it but i need to get Raspberry Pi sign off essentially with regards to logo and title.

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:47 pm

TheLoadedRogue wrote: OK so I can sell it but i need to get Raspberry Pi sign off essentially with regards to logo and title.
You won't get that, other folks have tried and the RPF/RPT response is always negative.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

GordonTGopher

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:37 pm

TheLoadedRogue wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

OK so I can sell it but i need to get Raspberry Pi sign off essentially with regards to logo and title.
You may find this useful, https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/ depending on what you are doing and how you describe it, you MIGHT be ok.

Gordon

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:08 pm

GordonTGopher wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

You may find this useful, https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/ depending on what you are doing and how you describe it, you MIGHT be ok.

Gordon
Yes, posted that link a week ago, must not be visible ?????
Retired disgracefully.....

stderr

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:09 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
TheLoadedRogue wrote: OK so I can sell it but i need to get Raspberry Pi sign off essentially with regards to logo and title.
You won't get that, other folks have tried and the RPF/RPT response is always negative.
Of course you can seem to get away with <insert fruit name that isn't raspberry> pi and even <insert fruit name that isn't raspberry> pi zero even when the product has nothing whatever to do with a raspberry pi.

B.Goode

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
GordonTGopher wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Gordon
Yes, posted that link a week ago, must not be visible ?????
Perhaps we could be charitable, given the season, and assume that @Gordon is having some fun at the expense of @Loaded who has been referred to that definitive resource but persists in pursuing the issue here?

TheLoadedRogue

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 am

Hey,

Sorry, i'm not trying to be dense, just a little confused.

The link provided talks about using the logo and title but I don't want to have that information anywhere on the device (other than on the Pi board itself).

B.Goode

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am

If there is still any uncertainty perhaps you or your legal representative should contact the Raspberry Pi Foundation directly using the Contact Us details on their website.

These forums are largely run by volunteer helpers who are not qualified to make definitive statements on behalf of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

RaTTuS

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 pm

yes you can sell it
you will not be able to put a RPi logo on it
if you case it you will have to get it though the EMC testing
you will have to comply with all software package rules.

you will need to employ a lawyer to be certain [ha] of what you need to do
if you are only going to be selling a few then you may get away with anything - though when they* come knocking you have to be ready

they* - someone , somebody , some people - probably not the foundation
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

scotty101

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 pm

You can of course get away with many things if you provide the unit in Kit form.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm

I am only aware of three things that are installed by default on the Raspberry Pi and that, IIUC, you cannot sell on:
  • The desktop photographs
  • TinyVNC
  • Mathematica
It is trivial to easy to remove those from the image that you supply.

However, this question is asking for an opinion of your legal position. The only person that can give you an answer that you can depend on is a lawyer who you have employed to give you that opinion. Any answers that we can give you are only suggestions. Even if we were lawyers, and I'm definitely not, we wouldn't have a contractual relationship with you and therefore our opinion would be worthless.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Lots of companies buy Raspberry Pis and sell them on in this way. As has been suggested before you can't use the logo / word mark unless you get approval from Raspberry Pi. But this really means you can't call it a "Raspberry Pi-O-Tron" or use the logo on your packaging.

For EMC, it kind of depends, for selling in the EU you can get away with quite a lot but the regulations are harder on products containing radios (WiFi/BT). If you are going to put it inside a box then you can't just use the Raspberry Pi test results because what you've done will change the results of the test. For systems that don't need WiFi/BT you can instead use the Pi 2 revision 1.2 (or what some call the PI 2 plus). This has the BCM2837 device but does not have the WiFi / BT so you can get away with self-certifying the product (i.e. you can just write a letter to your customer saying that all the relevant testing has been done and refer to the certification from RS / Farnell.

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 pm

rurwin wrote:I am only aware of three things that are installed by default on the Raspberry Pi and that, IIUC, you cannot sell on:
  • The desktop photographs
  • TinyVNC
  • Mathematica
It is trivial to easy to remove those from the image that you supply.
MinecraftPi?

TheLoadedRogue

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for all the help folks!

I have a clearer idea of where i'm going with it now :)

Return to “General discussion”