Arasmo

Windows games with Exagear Desktop

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 am

Hello,

Thanks to the program Exagear Desktop, it is possible to play some old windows classics on the Raspberry Pi 2.
https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

Basically, Exagear Desktop is a virtual machine that lets you install a x86 linux distribution. This means you have access to wine, which is used to run windows applications. Don't expect amazing performance for windows games : you're aiming at Pentium 133 Mhz speed...

The installation of Exagear Desktop requires the use of the terminal, but it is clearly explained in the documentation. You also have to familiarize yourself with wine. I didn't manage to make the games work fullscreen, because the monitor can't detect the game's resolution. If you have the same problem, you'll have to use winecfg to display a "windows desktop" : the game will then play in a window adapted to the game's resolution.

Games tested with overcloked PI 2 (1000 MHz, option from raspi-config)

Caesar III and Pharaoh (GOG versions) : the games seem to work great and have aged very gracefully.

Championship Manager 01/02 : Tested with the unofficial tapani patches for two seasons in the irish league. You'll have to mount the iso file before starting the game (iso file has been legally made available for free by Eidos a few years ago). If you restrict yourself to a minimal database, 5000 matches stored, and one or two leagues, performance is fine. You can install the game and official 3.68 patch easily with wine, but the tapani patches won't install : I had to use a Windows machine and then copy the game's folder to the Pi SD card.

Imperialism I (GOG version) : works fine.

Civilization II : tested with a compact version without any movies. Works great.

Heroes of Might and Magic III (GOG version) : tried it very briefly with a previous version of Exagear (with debian wheezy and wine 1.4.1). Intro was unskippable the first time it was displayed, and the game was a bit slow.

If you have tested other games, it would be great to share your experience in this thread !
Last edited by Arasmo on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Windows games with Exagear Desktop

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am

Arasmo wrote:Hello,

Thanks to the program Exagear Desktop, it is possible to play some old windows classics.
https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop
Yes BUT https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-des ... and-prices for that price could buy an old x86 PC Tower :shock: :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

Arasmo

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 am

Sorry, I should have written : Thanks to the program Exagear Desktop, it is possible to play some old windows classics on the Raspberry Pi 2.

I thought Exagear Desktop could be interesting for my windows "retrogaming" needs, because an old x86 tower is noisier than a Pi 2, more power hungry, and takes more space. I bought my Exagear Desktop for 15 euro instead of 25, but it was a special offer.

Akselmo

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm

So far I have only tried SkiFree and some older windows games.

SkiFree works just fine, but games like Chips Challenge don't, unfortunately.

Arasmo

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Hello Akselmo,

I haven't tried with Chips Challenge myself, but you might have better luck with the MS-Dos version (Dosbox emulator) or the Atari ST version (Hatari emulator) for example. There is also a open-source version called Tile World, but I don't know if it's possible to compile it for the Pi.

pUnK

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:48 am

Hi Arasmo,

I'm with Eltechs. Your post just in time :)
We almost finished testing and writing tutorial for some popular programs like skype, spotify, dropbox etc. And are going to switch on games testing very soon. So waiting a lot of info about games here in nearest future.

BTW Could you suggest some list of old-school games? What do you think about correctness of this list from GOG
https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1
as for me that list miss something interesting (probably because GOG don't have right to distribute).
ExaGear Desktop - run x86 apps on Raspberry Pi
pUnK from Eltechs

Arasmo

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello pUnK,

Testing some games on Eltechs would be a great idea.

cI very briefly tested Alpha Centauri, Anno 1602, Panzer General II (both GOG versions) : they both seem to be working, although Alpha Centauri looked a bit slow. I had a graphical glitch on the "welcome" screen of PGII, but had no other problems during my short test run. Anno was running alright but sound was a mess (lot of Alsa underrun messages from wine, maybe because emulation is too slow).

A few Windows 3.1 games and 2D games for Windows 95 or 98 should work, although quite a few games from the 95-98 era are still DOS games (and GOG seems to only sell the DOS version even when a Windows version was available), so they probably won't work with Exagear (Regular Dosbox on the PI 2 is already pretty slow as it is).

Examples of games available on GOG that could be tried :
Alpha Century
Anno 1602
Age of Wonders I
Avernum series
Infinity Games : Baldur's Gate I and II, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale I.
Call to Power I and II
Capitalism Plus and II
Caesar III
Conquest of a New World
Dark Reign
Disciples Sacred Lands
Dungeon Keeper I and II
Europa Universalis I and II and For the Glory : number II and For the Glory might work with a Pi 3.
Fallout 1 and 2
Fantasy General
Fragile Allegiance
Geneforge series
Lords of Magic
Imperialism I and II
Knights and Merchants
Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III : I think GOG only sells the DOS version of the two first games though.
Master of Orion II
M.A.X I and II
Might & Magic VI, VII, VIII :
Pacific General
Pharaoh
Rayman Forever
Return to Krondor
Panzer General II
Theme Hospital
Settlers III
Zeus
Zork Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor

Concerning games not available on GOG, Civilization II should work great on the Pi 2 and the Pi 1. I wouldn't have high hopes for III. Diablo I, Railroad Tycoon II, Starcraft, and Warlords III might be playable on the Pi 3 (and maybe Diablo on the Pi 2).

The brilliant free King's Quest I, II, III and Quest for Glory II remakes from AGD Interactive are also worth a shot.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/

EDIT : the latest version (1.6) of Exagear Desktop for Pi 2 seems slower. I'm not sure if all the games tested previously (Caesar III and Pharaoh for example) would work as well as they had before.
EDIT 2 : added a few games.

pUnK

Thu May 26, 2016 11:31 am

As I promised there were sufficient changes in ExaGear Desktop and guest images.

Now you can play in games from around 2000.

You can take a look how to run Arcanum, Disciples II and Fallout on Raspberry Pi here
https://eltechs.com/gaming-beyond-retropie/

pUnK from Eltechs

mthomason

Thu May 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Oh, wow. Getting Fallout working is fantastic news - so now when I get around to building my Pi-powered Pip-Boy I may have a way to actually run Fallout on it :D

pUnK

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:59 pm

As I promised continue to post about games which tested with ExaGear.

Three new iconic games:

HoMM III, Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri and Caesar 3

https://eltechs.com/gaming-beyond-retropie-part-2/

pUnK from Eltechs

nautilus27

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Can you guys test Age of Empires II HD Edition on Steam?I'd buy Exagear if it ran Age of Empires II HD Edition.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

nestorian

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:28 am

id really like to play gta3 or networking halo with a few pi's and beers.....but im guessing halo is way too complex to even begin to port to pi

Muntic0re

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:46 am

pUnK wrote:Hi Arasmo,

I'm with Eltechs. Your post just in time :)
We almost finished testing and writing tutorial for some popular programs like skype, spotify, dropbox etc. And are going to switch on games testing very soon. So waiting a lot of info about games here in nearest future.

BTW Could you suggest some list of old-school games? What do you think about correctness of this list from GOG
https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1
as for me that list miss something interesting (probably because GOG don't have right to distribute).
I like Mario and pinball games. A while ago I started playing Armadillo Artie – Dash for Cash. It's so entertaining and easy to play. Stunning graphics and a plenty of other advantages
Last edited by Muntic0re on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrettyCoolBruh

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:16 am

nestorian wrote:id really like to play gta3 or networking halo with a few pi's and beers.....but im guessing halo is way too complex to even begin to port to pi
Halo is way too complex and requires way too much of the RPi. I was also sad when I heard this :lol: But GTA III would be an entirely different story. Maybe we could possibly convert GTA III to RPi 3 maybe. Although that would be way too complex and I'm pretty sure no one wants to do that here, you can try install Android on your RPi (prefferably RPi 3) but Android is unstable and slow on RPi. Maybe you could use RemixOS on it, but what I'm trying to say here is that you can run the game with acceptable, but not great framerate. Halo is not going to happen, but using Android, GTA III can happen.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do

nestorian

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 pm

PrettyCoolBruh wrote:
nestorian wrote:id really like to play gta3 or networking halo with a few pi's and beers.....but im guessing halo is way too complex to even begin to port to pi
Halo is way too complex and requires way too much of the RPi. I was also sad when I heard this :lol: But GTA III would be an entirely different story. Maybe we could possibly convert GTA III to RPi 3 maybe. Although that would be way too complex and I'm pretty sure no one wants to do that here, you can try install Android on your RPi (prefferably RPi 3) but Android is unstable and slow on RPi. Maybe you could use RemixOS on it, but what I'm trying to say here is that you can run the game with acceptable, but not great framerate. Halo is not going to happen, but using Android, GTA III can happen.

yeah I may try to port my windows copy just for S&G's

Turrican2k

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 am

Exagear is dead.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:27 am

Turrican2k wrote:
Exagear is dead.
As was this thread, look at the date of the last post.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

altharic

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

That's of course we are assuming that the activation server is still up to install it.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:19 am

Turrican2k wrote:
Exagear is dead.

Yes you are about 20 weeks behind the times and 3 years since this post was last active.....
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Gaming”