6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 7534
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 pm

mikerr wrote:I took the last Raspbian Wheezy (2015-05-07) and updated it to run on pi zero & pi3 :
https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbian-wheezy-pi/
1.3GB download, needs at least 4GB SD card
"Heh guys, here's a random image which could contain numerous random back doors!"
I can be reasonably confident you wouldn't, but advertising random images for installation ought to sound alarm bells for most people.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mfa298
Posts: 1387
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue May 24, 2016 2:42 pm

shuckle wrote: There is a common problem mentioned several times in the forums that rc.local is not working with systemd as it used to work in wheezy. There is no quarantee that rc.local runs when the system is really up. I have had to add sleeps into rc.local so that my code works normally. Not a big deal, but nasty when you face it first time (and it slows down the jessie boot making it slower than wheezy)
rc.local has only ever been a hackish way of starting things at boot. Writing a proper sysvinit script, upstart config, systemd config is generally much better as it provides a way to start/stop the service easily as well as enable/disable it at boot time and have some dependency stuff. With upstart/systemd there is also support for monitoring a service and restarting if it crashes.

If you really want to go back to the 80's technology of sysvinit scripts I believe Jessie supports replacing systemd with sysvinit (or upstart). However I'd suggest learning to write a systemd config file for your services first, it's not that hard and much more powerful than just putting a line into rc.local.

shuckle
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:49 am
Location: Finland

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue May 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Come on!
I only start camera streaming. I never have any reason to touch it after it starts. If it fails, I need to poweroff the system anyway.
You seriously recommend to create systemd startup scripts instead of putting this one line to rc.local?:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/cvlc -d v4l2:///dev/video0:chroma="H264":width=1296:height=972:fps=5 --sout="#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8888/h264}"
rc.local is there for a reason. It makes life simple. It works in all linux versions. No maintaining.

ejolson
Posts: 3813
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue May 24, 2016 5:35 pm

6by9 wrote:
mikerr wrote:I took the last Raspbian Wheezy (2015-05-07) and updated it to run on pi zero & pi3 :
https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbian-wheezy-pi/
1.3GB download, needs at least 4GB SD card
"Heh guys, here's a random image which could contain numerous random back doors!"
I can be reasonably confident you wouldn't, but advertising random images for installation ought to sound alarm bells for most people.
Your point is well taken. The same is true for any program obtained from an unknown source. Different needs require different levels of trust and accountability. In this case the image was released by a forum member who has released operating system images in the past that worked well. There could still be issues, but at any rate the image isn't exactly random.

mikerr
Posts: 2787
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 am

ShiftPlusOne pointed out a link to nightly builds of wheezy in another thread,
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=149940&p=985745#p985745

current daily builds appear to be broken, but this one from April works on Pi3 and Zero:
http://build-master.raspberrypi.org/nig ... eezy-1.zip
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mikerr
Posts: 2787
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm

To get Pi-3 internal wifi working under wheezy:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line :

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian jessie main

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firmware-brcm80211
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Al Capern
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 am

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:07 am

My reason for using Wheezy is that Jessie absolutely hates WiFi dongles. Systems that continuously sent data for months using Wheezy fell over as soon as I ?upgraded to Jessie. Formally reliable WiFi dongles would not connect at all with Jessie. I'm not a Linux whiz and so can't deal with new problems caused by OS. Wheezy works fine thanks.

User avatar
CarlRJ
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 am
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 am

Al Capern wrote:My reason for using Wheezy is that Jessie absolutely hates WiFi dongles. Systems that continuously sent data for months using Wheezy fell over as soon as I ?upgraded to Jessie. Formally reliable WiFi dongles would not connect at all with Jessie. I'm not a Linux whiz and so can't deal with new problems caused by OS. Wheezy works fine thanks.
All my Pi's are running Jessie and I've had absolutely zero problems with WiFi dongles (the official one and the often recommended Edimax EW-7811Un, as well as a HubPiWi), on original Raspberry Pi model B's, Pi 2B's, and Pi Zeros. And I have Pi's that have been communicating continuously via MQTT for months at a time. For the $9 that a shiny new, recommended, dongle costs, I'd rather be running the latest, most thoroughly patched and supported version of the OS.
Last edited by CarlRJ on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heater
Posts: 13885
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:19 am

Jessie loves WIFI dongles. I have a variety here. No problems.

A WIFI dongle can't be a reason for sticking with Wheezy.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

klricks
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 am

Al Capern wrote:My reason for using Wheezy is that Jessie absolutely hates WiFi dongles. Systems that continuously sent data for months using Wheezy fell over as soon as I ?upgraded to Jessie. Formally reliable WiFi dongles would not connect at all with Jessie. I'm not a Linux whiz and so can't deal with new problems caused by OS. Wheezy works fine thanks.
There are quite a few differences in the Network config between Wheezy and Jessie. Especially a problem if you upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie rather than doing a fresh install. WIFI in setup in Jessie is very easy for most users... just a couple of clicks and enter the PSK..done.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

User avatar
karrika
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Finland

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:40 am

I just also reverted back to wheezy last week because for some strange reason the spi did not get initialized at every boot on jessie while it worked every time on wheezy. Of course there is some trivial reason /boot/config.txt, some dt overlay missing, systemd, /etc/profile or who knows what. All these problems come with a fresh install of the latest jessie image.

The fact is that whenever you change something for good or for bad it causes problems for the users.

mfa298
Posts: 1387
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:49 am

As above I've had no issues with wifi on Jessie (I only used wifi on Wheezy a few years ago which did have some issues - but thats not a fair comparison)
karrika wrote:I just also reverted back to wheezy last week because for some strange reason the spi did not get initialized at every boot on jessie while it worked every time on wheezy. Of course there is some trivial reason /boot/config.txt, some dt overlay missing, systemd, /etc/profile or who knows what.
I've not had any issues with SPI on Jessie (I've got a couple of boards using SPI devices). Although having been looking at implementing an SPI library in ruby I see that the kernel interface changed slightly around 3.15 however the wheezy header files seem to have the older interface in even with newer kernels. I don't think that will break anything but some code that should work on Wheezy might not.

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Al Capern wrote:My reason for using Wheezy is that Jessie absolutely hates WiFi dongles.
Have you tried the power management tricks suggested in this post: Re: Edimax Wifi adapter seems to go to sleep if not used ?

It fixed a problem wifi setup for me, and seems to be holding reliably. And I'm not even sure if my adaptor's an Edimax.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

caseyfw
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 am

Re: Where do I download wheezy?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 am

For those assuming everyone looking for a copy of wheezy is falling into the XY Problem trap, I was looking for a copy of Wheezy to help recover a client's pi used for digital signage.

It has a corrupted SD card and some files were missing. I was able to restore these from the matching wheezy image.

Return to “General discussion”