How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

joan

Re: OpenPI

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm missing something here.

What would it be used for? I can't see the point to it.

GordonTGopher

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 pm

This is from Ciseco (They've re-branded) so I'd expect applications linked to their wireless sensors etc. would be a focus. Given the amount of time they've been involved with the Pi, I'm sure they'll have some cunning plans :) Personally not sure about all the potential applications they list on the website, but might have potential as a hub for home IoT and the like?

Gordon

cyrano

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 am

When I saw the picture of the board, I figured it was a nice flat build. Until I noticed they used a double height full size USB connector for the internal USB ports. What were they thinking?

wirelesstings

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Good feedback guys, I changed the main page to this (below), hopefully you'll agree it gives more idea who the open pi is aimed at, as it's not at people who would chose the cheaper bare board Pi. I smiled at the comment about the USB ports, if you imagine OpenPi having an enclosure of some type, you'll see there was never any intention to make it thin, I see what you mean though from the photo (hehehehehe). You could from the open design files spin your own PCB which was thin, and even had Ethernet (isn't WiFi more convenient?)

Open hardware shared in EagleCAD - turn your idea into good looking stuff

Helping people to create cool stuff like smartphone-controlled appliances, an Internet of Things hub, perhaps even an open source gaming station. Taking the Raspberry Pi Compute Module and combining it with a custom-designed motherboard with a pre-loaded operating system gets you up and running in seconds – giving a games console type of experience.

The on-board radio module communicates with ultra-low power remote sensors, while Wi-Fi networking gives the OpenPi hub a connection to the Internet. Internal USB ports are provided for additional devices. The open design frees creative ambition to hack something entirely new . All housed in an attractive and robust injection-moulded ABS casing that can be mass-produced at very low cost, even with your own logo

Return to “Compute Module”