mickae1

Raspberry Pi Compute module availability

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Hello, I would like to know about the availability of theRaspberry Pi Compute module? If my company choose to use this module, What is the promise that this module will still be available 5 years later? can you promise that the shape will not change? The connector will be the same? Can you precise all this point? My company is very interested by this module. But we are worried about it future... It's compatibility in the future...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Compute module availability

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:20 pm

You will need to talk to the Foundation directly on these issues, although I think some of this is covered somewhere.

Try info@raspberrypi.org

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arm2

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 pm

From http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... w-product/

"Dan asked: 7th Apr 2014 at 5:06 pm
.... (i.e. so that products can be developed around these modules with the re-assurance that they will still be a supply of these, or a suitable replacement, available 5 years from now)

Liz Upton says:
7th Apr 2014 at 5:17 pm
This isn’t a Broadcom product; it’s a Raspberry Pi product, and yes, we are making them available long term.

Liz later in the blog added:
We’ll have a statement about it in due course (probably when sales start), but that’ll say at a very minimum that it’ll be available for five years. I’d be interested in feedback on what sort of long-term availability you guys would be interested in.
And, of course, we are not limiting these to n units per customer: you can buy as many as you like."

n.b. I knew the answer having read it when it was first posted. But it and a lot of other very useful informations ends up appearing in blog replies by various foundation members. It would be very useful if the info could be added to the wiki. (I spotted today that it has no mention of CVT in the config.txt details! That info is in a forum posting by gordon)
The information is out there but is all over the place!
Last edited by arm2 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:11 am

arm2 wrote:http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... w-product/

Dan asked: 7th Apr 2014 at 5:06 pm
.... (i.e. so that products can be developed around these modules with the re-assurance that they will still be a supply of these, or a suitable replacement, available 5 years from now)

Liz Upton says:
7th Apr 2014 at 5:17 pm
This isn’t a Broadcom product; it’s a Raspberry Pi product, and yes, we are making them available long term.

Liz later in the blog added:
We’ll have a statement about it in due course (probably when sales start), but that’ll say at a very minimum that it’ll be available for five years. I’d be interested in feedback on what sort of long-term availability you guys would be interested in.

And, of course, we are not limiting these to n units per customer: you can buy as many as you like.

n.b. I knew the answer having read it when it was first posted. But it and a lot of other very useful informations ends up appearing in blog replies by various foundation members. It would be very useful if the info could be added to the wiki. (I spotted today that it has no mention of CVT in the config.txt details! That info is in a forum posting by gordon)
The information is out there but is all over the place!
Agreed. I'll see what I can get done.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mickae1

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

jamesh any news on it ?

Thx,

jamesh

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:24 am

mickae1 wrote:jamesh any news on it ?

Thx,
Nope, I do have a day job....

mickae1

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am

We know that you are an Engineer, just wanted to know if you had any news, that it ;)

jamesh

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:31 am

mickae1 wrote:We know that you are an Engineer, just wanted to know if you had any news, that it ;)
I have the Foundation if they can collate the non-tech information about the CM somewhere. Awaiting a reply.

jamesh

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 am

So, what specific information are people looking for the CM? Give me a list and I'll try and get it answered and published somewhere useful.

mickae1

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 am

How long can you provide the compute module availability ?
Can you assure that the compatibility between revision will be provided ? ( same connector, PINS don't change places, ... )

mickae1

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 am

Hi,

Jamesh, any news on the topic ?

Thx,

jamesh

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

I've posted this thread to the Foundation who hopefully will be able to help.

But to my knowledge, the SODIMM connector is now finalised, so should not change.

mickae1

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

Hi, any news on this topic? :)

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:46 am

mickae1 wrote:Hi, any news on this topic? :)
http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dp/2427122
Retired disgracefully.....

mickae1

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:01 am

Thx but that doesn't answer those questions :

How long can you provide the compute module availability ?
Can you assure that the compatibility between revision will be provided ? ( same connector, PINS don't change places, ... )

gsh

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Much as with anything else there are no guarantees on the long term availability, but we are intending on running the compute module for as long as we run Raspberry Pi - five years sounds like a relatively short time scale.

All revisions of the compute module will be pin compatible, although it is possible we may add functionality to the reserved pins. Physically the compute module will not change in five years

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

AVee

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Much as with anything else there are no guarantees on the long term availability, but we are intending on running the compute module for as long as we run Raspberry Pi - five years sounds like a relatively short time scale.
Could we get some sort of official statement on that. We're currently considering the Compute Module as the basis of a commercial product. Long term parts availability is important for this product, we really can't rely on intentions. If the foundation can't make commitments like that, perhaps (one of) the suppliers can provide guarantees, the designs are available to them so production could go on regardless of what the foundation does.

jamesh

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:32 pm

AVee wrote:
Could we get some sort of official statement on that. We're currently considering the Compute Module as the basis of a commercial product. Long term parts availability is important for this product, we really can't rely on intentions. If the foundation can't make commitments like that, perhaps (one of) the suppliers can provide guarantees, the designs are available to them so production could go on regardless of what the foundation does.
Gordon, the guy who wrote that post, is Director of Software Engineering at Raspberry Pi, so that's pretty official. What more do you need?

Return to “Compute Module”