Narf03

When the compute module start selling? (now! june 20, 2014)

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:43 am

which site will sell it first ? or which site allows pre-order ? I am in malaysia and i want to get them asap :)

if anybody knows its start selling, please do update me, thank you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: When the compute module start selling?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:57 am

IIRC, July was mentioned for CM release.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

munchcorp
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:47 am

Certainly Eben's blog on the 23rd May (http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#more-c ... odule-docs) did not list a release date for the module, just that more documents will be coming a month or so before release of the development kit. I assume that the development kit is coming a month or two before the actual compute module starts shipping, to give developers time to design their circuits before they start buying.

If the foundation has any clearer dates we would love to hear them!

RS didn't have it listed for pre-order this week so I would guess we are still weeks if not months away from the development kit release.

The tension builds......

jamesh

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 am

Just a warning - the IO board is going to be quite expensive since it designed as a DK for industrial users for their own HW development. Home users are probably going to be quite surprised at the price....
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

mfa298

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

munchcorp wrote:I assume that the development kit is coming a month or two before the actual compute module starts shipping, to give developers time to design their circuits before they start buying.
I was assuming the other way around or at the same time. The IO Module (Devkit) won't be much use without the compute module (unless it comes with one as part of the kit but I've not seen anything saying that's the case). But for people designing their own boards the compute module will be a requirement to test those boards. I did some looking at what would be involved in making a custom board and the already published schematics are of more use than having a ready made PCB (seeing how stuff is connected on a 2 layer pcb is hard enough. On a 4/6 layer will be near impossible)

munchcorp

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:04 pm

mfa298 wrote: I was assuming the other way around or at the same time. The IO Module (Devkit) won't be much use without the compute module (unless it comes with one as part of the kit but I've not seen anything saying that's the case). But for people designing their own boards the compute module will be a requirement to test those boards. I did some looking at what would be involved in making a custom board and the already published schematics are of more use than having a ready made PCB (seeing how stuff is connected on a 2 layer pcb is hard enough. On a 4/6 layer will be near impossible)
I would expect the IO module to ship with a CM so you have everything to get started. You can then test components or add ons before you begin the design process on your own board.

Anyway, this is all pure speculation, we obviously won't know for a few more weeks.

Did I read somewhere that you need the IO Module to flash the CM with your own OS and software?

rpdom

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:25 am

munchcorp wrote:Did I read somewhere that you need the IO Module to flash the CM with your own OS and software?
You will need a board that has power supply and a single USB connection. You can use the IO board, or design your own, or someone else may design a minimal "programming board" with just these interfaces on. I can see a possible market for such a device.

gsh

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:48 am

The computer module + IO board will be shipping towards the end of next month, but you should be able to develop your base boards before that using the information supplied in the documentation.

This initial run will be a short run of relatively expensive kits (compared with the Pi but not compared with other development kits) of up to 5K units.

Following this we'll start the mass production of the modules, here we're talking about ramping production up much as we would do with any product.

Hope that helps

Gordon (Raspberry Pi - Director of Software)
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

James Adams

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am

To clarify Gordon means toward the end of *this* month (June).
James Adams
Raspberry Pi - COO & Hardware Lead

SteveSpencer

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:11 am

Ah. Confusion relating to "this" and "next" is common in our household. My wife often insists I specify dates rather than "Next Wednesday" to avoid mix-ups. On a Monday, to me, "This Tuesday" and "Next Tuesday" are logically the same, being effectively "tomorrow". She sees it differently.

Besides, if I was as busy as Gordon, I'd be lucky to know what day it was, never mind which month... :)
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

RaTTuS

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Dutch_Master

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Compared to the USD 2k+ for some development boards (for other platforms) that's peanuts! ;)

I still expect quite a few will end up in the hobbyist part of the RPi community :mrgreen:

jamesh

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 am

As I see it, it needs to be priced so developers would be happy buy it (check), but because of the tech support limitations, that hobbiests have to think hard about it (check). It not meant to replace either of the current educational models but aimed squarely at the embedded controller market. Which I reckon is pretty damn big.

RaTTuS

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:44 am

Dutch_Master wrote:Compared to the USD 2k+ for some development boards (for other platforms) that's peanuts! ;)

I still expect quite a few will end up in the hobbyist part of the RPi community :mrgreen:
indeed - as a dev kit that is a great price

Covfefe

mung

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:02 pm

I was looking on RS and noticed this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8134164/

Looks like £142 at the end of september.

I checked farnell and nothing listed yet :roll: they usually seem slightly cheaper.

Is £142 the foundation rrp ?

I know as commercial dev kit it maybe cheapish though TI often seem to be very cheap on dev kits other chip manufacturers can be very high priced, £142 makes me think twice about buying one just as a hobby hack project, and its not strictly speaking a broadcom sanctioned dev kit for the VC chip is it.

will it give any more access to broadcom support for VC developers?

May there be future price cuts?

mung

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Also just had the thought, were they actually available before I got to RS and have just sold out or has that page always been a 'back order' listing?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Just in case somebody gets confused. That price is not for the compute module, but the dev kit.

RaTTuS

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:31 am

mung wrote:Also just had the thought, were they actually available before I got to RS and have just sold out or has that page always been a 'back order' listing?
I hit the site pretty much as soon as it was announced on twitter via RS to check and it was back order then - this means nothing :-(

Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:20 am

mung wrote:I was looking on RS and noticed this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8134164/

Looks like £142 at the end of september.

I checked farnell and nothing listed yet :roll: they usually seem slightly cheaper.

Is £142 the foundation rrp ?

I know as commercial dev kit it maybe cheapish though TI often seem to be very cheap on dev kits other chip manufacturers can be very high priced, £142 makes me think twice about buying one just as a hobby hack project, and its not strictly speaking a broadcom sanctioned dev kit for the VC chip is it.

will it give any more access to broadcom support for VC developers?

May there be future price cuts?
Price is about what I was expecting. It really is intended as a dev kit for industrial applications, and is very keenly priced for that market. It's also only going to sell in low volumes (in comparison) so price will always be fairly high in comparison. I'm not expecting price cuts, it's already cheap for the intended market.

I expect there will be cheaper boards hitting the market in the next few months, from third party suppliers.

I don't think there is any more support available from Broadcom - it's a Foundation product. Almost everything needed to program it for the huge majority of industrial applications is already out there anyway.

mung

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:23 pm

I just saw this on cpc (farnell)

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/besp ... irect=true

Looks like they are about £15 cheaper on the dev kit and module £126 as opposed to £142 on RS.

No details of due date only a registration of interest form.

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The £126.68 price is EX VAT. With VAT @ 20% that's £152.02
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Dutch_Master

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:57 am

Plus shipping :P So that's at least 160 quid and that's without the CM itself (another 40-ish). British VAT (tax) doesn't apply outside the EU, but that fact in itself implies higher shipping costs. It's still not a lot of money for a (fairly) complete developers kit, so I'd stick to my prediction a considerable number of these kits will end up within the enthusiasts community :) Just a few more weeks now, the countdown has definitely begun ;)

rpdom

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:32 am

Dutch_Master wrote:Plus shipping :P So that's at least 160 quid and that's without the CM itself (another 40-ish).
The item description is Raspberry Pi Compute Module & Development Kit so it looks like the CM is included in the price.

That's a very good price for a devkit. If I had the funds I'd be tempted to buy one just to see what I could do with it :)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:11 am

rpdom wrote:
Dutch_Master wrote:Plus shipping :P So that's at least 160 quid and that's without the CM itself (another 40-ish).
The item description is Raspberry Pi Compute Module & Development Kit so it looks like the CM is included in the price.

That's a very good price for a devkit. If I had the funds I'd be tempted to buy one just to see what I could do with it :)
+1 "Initially, the Compute Module and IO Board will be available to buy together as the Raspberry Pi Compute Module Development Kit."

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi ... ew-product
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

jamesh

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 am

DougieLawson wrote:The £126.68 price is EX VAT. With VAT @ 20% that's £152.02
I think the aim was about $200 all in. Makes it cheap for a dev kit, but a bit much for a home buyer, which is the intention.

Return to “Compute Module”