The_Coder_Questions

CM3 eMMC override?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:17 am

Hello,

I'm currently researching on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module, I'm at the early stages of building a product, I'm just at the proof of concept stage at the moment.

My question is, if a product is built around the CM3 Lite, is it hypothetically possible at hardware level to make the eMMC on the mainboard which the CM3 Lite goes into, the primary source for data, so if a customer changes the CM3 Lite for one with onboard eMMC, the eMMC on the CM3 will be ignored

ali1234 from the Pimoioni discord community directed me to this thread viewtopic.php?t=213060 which to me indicates by default the eMMC on the CM3 will override the eMMC on the mainboard

If it's not possible, if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to go about building a product on the Raspberry Pi using eMMC memory, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

John Westlake

Re: CM3 eMMC override?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 am

I dont believe so as the datelines to the external CM3 are not physically connected on CM3 modules with onbaord eMMC - instead they are routed via resistor jumpers to the onboard eMMC memory IC.

stuartclark

Re: CM3 eMMC override?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 am

Hi. What is the use case you are trying to deal with?

In general, if an end user was to replace the compute module within a product it is unlikely to directly work (e.g. because the on-board eMMC is blank), so why do you think the end user would try this?

Return to “Compute Module”