fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20769
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/comput ... w-from-25/


Compute Module 3+ is, like Raspberry Pi 3B+, the last in a line of 40nm-based Raspberry Pi products. We feel that it’s a fitting end to the line......
Retired disgracefully.....

gordon77
Posts: 4179
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm

This must be the quietest launch of a Pi product to date. Only 2 comments on the blog !!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23709
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:41 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm
This must be the quietest launch of a Pi product to date. Only 2 comments on the blog !!
Yup. Weird.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:13 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm
This must be the quietest launch of a Pi product to date. Only 2 comments on the blog !!
I'm not exactly surprised. I suspect that most people that use the CMs aren't heavy blog readers, and the blog readers that don't usually use CMs probably wouldn't have much to say about it.

I was amused by the one comment asking if the CM3+ board have 1GB or 2GB RAM, which indicates that he is unaware of the VC4 memory limitation.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/comput ... w-from-25/


Compute Module 3+ is, like Raspberry Pi 3B+, the last in a line of 40nm-based Raspberry Pi products. We feel that it’s a fitting end to the line......
Interesting indeed. I'll have to run some tests with the CM3L+. One must also surmise that the NEC CM3-16 has sold well (despite the price) and led to the larger eMMC models. Kudos to the RPT for bringing them in at a pretty low price, all things considered.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20769
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:19 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/comput ... w-from-25/


Compute Module 3+ is, like Raspberry Pi 3B+, the last in a line of 40nm-based Raspberry Pi products. We feel that it’s a fitting end to the line......
Interesting indeed. I'll have to run some tests with the CM3L+. One must also surmise that the NEC CM3-16 has sold well (despite the price) and led to the larger eMMC models. Kudos to the RPT for bringing them in at a pretty low price, all things considered.

It will be interesting to see if NEC lowers the price point and offers the CM3+ !
Retired disgracefully.....

burtyb
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:01 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:13 pm
I was amused by the one comment asking if the CM3+ board have 1GB or 2GB RAM, which indicates that he is unaware of the VC4 memory limitation.
Probably confused by the comparison of the new CM3+ with the original CM and not the CM3 but I imagine saying "It has the newer BCM2837B0 but runs at the same speed and has the same amount of RAM but it does have bigger and more options for flash storage" doesn't sound as good.

hippy
Posts: 5971
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Any details of the revision number for the CM3+ ?

I'm guessing a020f0 or a220f0 depending if manufactured by Sony or Embest.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:16 pm

From memory, it's a02100.

hippy
Posts: 5971
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 pm

PhilE wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:16 pm
From memory, it's a02100.
Ooh. I hope so because that suggests there's a new "0xF" product sitting between the 3A+ and CM3+ :P

User avatar
DarkPlatinum
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Location: Unknown
Contact: Website YouTube

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Did not know about this until reading this post. Maybe I should post this on my website so that more people know about it?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:47 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm
Did not know about this until reading this post. Maybe I should post this on my website so that more people know about it?
There's a blog post--up today (28 Jan 2019)--on the front page of this very web site...

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm

hippy wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 pm
PhilE wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:16 pm
From memory, it's a02100.
Ooh. I hope so because that suggests there's a new "0xF" product sitting between the 3A+ and CM3+ :P
That would--logically--be the one board that hasn't been bumped to the BCM2837B0 yet, to wit, a Pi2Bv1.3 (which would amount to a Pi3B+ without WiFi).

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:19 pm
It will be interesting to see if NEC lowers the price point and offers the CM3+ !
Or if they just drop their own orders and point people to the 16GB or 32GB(!!) CM3+ boards.

Also...notice what *isn't* there. There is *no* 4GB version.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5028
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm
Did not know about this until reading this post. Maybe I should post this on my website so that more people know about it?
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 0255430658

So that's at least 400,000 other people that know about it :lol:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
DarkPlatinum
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Location: Unknown
Contact: Website YouTube

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 am

PeterO wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 am
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm
Did not know about this until reading this post. Maybe I should post this on my website so that more people know about it?
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 0255430658

So that's at least 400,000 other people that know about it :lol:

PeterO
Unfortunately, I don't have twitter. I read the Raspberry Pi Blog from time to time but haven't looked at it recently.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23709
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 am

Been a fairly low key launch, as the majority of Pi users are not particularly interested in the CM as its aimed towards industry. The people who need to know it's there know it's there!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10907
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:46 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 am
PeterO wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 am
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm
Did not know about this until reading this post. Maybe I should post this on my website so that more people know about it?
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 0255430658

So that's at least 400,000 other people that know about it :lol:

PeterO
Unfortunately, I don't have twitter. I read the Raspberry Pi Blog from time to time but haven't looked at it recently.
You can read twitter without having an account. I do so in the occasional special circumstance.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 1492
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes, they did!

Been away for BT to Japan and just found the blog/threat.

That's exactly what I was hoping to see! So thanks to the foundation for the new CM3+.
Now need to check where I can source them fast...

nixy82
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am

Hi

Nice news, well done guys

Does the new CM3+ require any changes to the dtblob.bin setup file?

i.e. Will it key off the pins_cm3 section still or will it be looking for pins_cm3plus ?

Which OS and kernel/firmware revision is the minimum that will support the new Chip?

Thanks

Andrew

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23709
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 am

nixy82 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am
Hi

Nice news, well done guys

Does the new CM3+ require any changes to the dtblob.bin setup file?

i.e. Will it key off the pins_cm3 section still or will it be looking for pins_cm3plus ?

Which OS and kernel/firmware revision is the minimum that will support the new Chip?

Thanks

Andrew
Latest kernel and firmware is almost always needed when new products come out, but will get someone to check. Not sure about dtblob, will flag it up also.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am

Any firmware from the November Raspbian release (and a bit before) is fine. Apart from the revision code, as far as software is concerned it should be treated like a CM3, i.e. same dt-blob section, same .dtb etc.

nixy82
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:44 am

Great!

Are there any changes required to the rpi-boot flashing assistant, having some problems getting a drive letter up to start flashing it

Is it me being all fingers and thumbs or ...?


Edit: Yes I just needed to update the rpi-boot program to the latest version from github and we're back in business
Last edited by nixy82 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 am

No changes are required that I am aware of.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3753
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: CM3+ Released with up to 32GB eMMC

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 am

This one actually makes me think of acquiring a few.
Pi tablet/notebook?
They have tended to be a bit pricey.
Compute Module 3+ is, like Raspberry Pi 3B+, the last in a line of 40nm-based Raspberry Pi products. We feel that it’s a fitting end to the line......
WiFi less Pi2B+? Purely for net connected stuff?

End of the line?
That means the new Pi's will be stronger, faster, cheaper :lol:
So the engineers have no distractions now, full steam ahead with Pi4, 5, 6?
FPGA's can be got for about $1 now, hint :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Compute Module”