RexLeong

Possibility connect compute module directly by solder wire directly to its 'connector'.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 am

Hi everyone! :D

I would like to ask another question :)

Is that possible to connect compute module to the components directly by soldering the wire in the module's connector (the gold plated area)? Currently I am planning for using Raspberry Pi Zero but I thought it might not powerful so I thinking of using rpi compute module 3 instead, but their I/O boards are expensive which exceeded my project budget.

Any replies would be highly appreciated! :D

hippy

Re: Possibility connect compute module directly by solder wire directly to its 'connector'.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

RexLeong wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 am
Is that possible to connect compute module to the components directly by soldering the wire in the module's connector (the gold plated area)?
It is entirely possible but a somewhat risky venture, potentially ending up costing you more than you hoped to save.

It would be better to find a suitable CM connector and solder wires to that at the very least.

rzusman

Re: Possibility connect compute module directly by solder wire directly to its 'connector'.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:27 am

Your time must be worth more than a socket...

I could solder wires to the CM edge connector, but it would take hours to cut and strip all the wires and solder them. Also, the USB connector probably wouldn’t work with pigtail leads - it needs to be controlled impedance.

Burngate

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

In the past I've done exactly what you're considering doing - we called it rat's-nesting - and it does have advantages over creating a pcb, somewhat similar to the advantages of Python over C in the programming universe. You don't have to have all your ducks lined up before starting shooting - you can line a couple up at a time and see what happens, before moving on to the full duck-pond. You will gather I like mixing as many metaphors as I can.

However, I wouldn't solder directly to the CM - rather find a connector and solder wires to that. You're bound to want to change things, and desoldering wires can mess up the connection - a socket is cheaper than a CM.

Return to “Compute Module”