jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: What would be the next step up from CM3?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am

InsertTitle wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm
gsh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am
If you want to develop a prototype, the CM3 is the best way to do this. I assume you've already developed and tested your system on a Pi3 and optimised it? If not I'd start there, optimising the software is the best way of getting to the next step.

With software improvements, you can usually get far more significant speed increases than you can through hardware improvements. Of course, it's 'easier' to achieve a hardware upgrade and is, therefore, the step most engineers go for. But, if you optimise in software, the improvements are permanent and pay for themselves in all future implementations.

For progressing such a project, I would suggest you either go for a CM3 solution or use the customization service to get the device made for you. This is the only method of being able to get access to the total supply chain for it. The customization service is only really economically viable in the >10k unit volumes, so you would need to go through the CM3 solution to get there (and having a CM3 solution already working would give the transition to a customization very simple).

Thanks

Gordon
Cheers for the info.
I have got a planned idea now how I would go about things; however I've ran into a snag and wondering if yourself or one of the engineers might be able to help fix this snag?

So the current plan of action I have in my head (yet to put to Eagle schematic) would be to use edge/card edge connectors whereby I can then slot my sensors and camera into place.

Now as I'm going to be using the CM3 I'd have to be using the RPI Zero cam or RPI cam. Personally I prefer the Zero cam just cause of its size however (here comes the snag) the Zero Cam in particular the Fisheye/NOIR uses a FPC which is then connected to the board that houses the camera onto it. Is there a way to obtain a Zero Cam that uses either fish/NOIR that can have the circuit added onto the same PCB as the camera is, similar to that of RPI Cam V2 or this design shown by WaveShare on amazon https://goo.gl/1p8kRP and then have an edge connector which can then dock onto a custom pcb which houses the card edge connector for which the camera would dock into?
No sure what you mean by the Zero cam. We only sell two models of camera, both pretty much the same, except the NOIR has the IR filer removed. We don't do any with non-standard lenses etc. So I suspect you may be talking of a third party camera? Links woudl be useful.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module-v2/
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-noir-camera-v2/
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

ZeroCam is probably https://thepihut.com/products/zerocam-c ... ry-pi-zero. As James says, a third party product.
The only gain it has is that it natively has the 22pin connector on it, as used on the CMIO and Pi Zero(W).

The CMIO is supplied with one each of the display and camera adapters (http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dp/2433318), so the standard camera modules can be connected. If you choose to make your own baseboard then you can place either the 15 pin (2 lane) or the 22 pin (4 lane) connector on the board.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

InsertTitle

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Ah I see so it was semi-flex / flex rigid I would be after. Wanted to do exactly what semi-flex does but didn't know the name for it so was thinking of using edge connectors atleast for connecting the extra PCBs to my design (looking at creating a design that could be worn like glasses).

I knew you could do it with FPC but didn't know the correct terminology to what it was called.

I guess mind you I could get around the RPI zero cam problem either by contacting camera suppliers (Are most camera compatible with RPI platforms?) or by having the current FPC for the RPI zero cam directly connected to a semi-flex board.

jamesh

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:26 pm

InsertTitle wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Ah I see so it was semi-flex / flex rigid I would be after. Wanted to do exactly what semi-flex does but didn't know the name for it so was thinking of using edge connectors atleast for connecting the extra PCBs to my design (looking at creating a design that could be worn like glasses).

I knew you could do it with FPC but didn't know the correct terminology to what it was called.

I guess mind you I could get around the RPI zero cam problem either by contacting camera suppliers (Are most camera compatible with RPI platforms?) or by having the current FPC for the RPI zero cam directly connected to a semi-flex board.
Only the Pi camera are support by the Pi CSI camera interface (So, the IMX219, Picamv2 from us, or the older OV5647, PicamV1, which does have clones on the market). Most USB camera should work OK.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

InsertTitle

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 pm

@Jamesh I see, I didn't realise the Zero Cam by PiHut was a third party one always thought it was a product done by you guys.
That's good to know and thanks for the info and about the cameras as well that's good insight.

@6by6 Yes that's the camera I was on about. Also I'm currently got a 22 pin CMIO on my currently developed board, however the FPC it uses is too small so I had to make my own 22 pin CMIO extender board.
Personally I'd like to try and remove the 22 pin altogether and have a camera soldered directly to the board or be edge mounted.
Do you know if it is possible to purchase an IMX219 or OV5647 in small volume or is this restricted through an RPI only license?

Return to “Compute Module”