keenanj

Wifi Module Selection for Raspberry PI Compute

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to integrate a raspberry pi compute module 3 into a custom IO board. I want this board to support SD card storage and wifi.

However, most on board WiFi modules I've seen only support IO via the SDIO interface which poses a problem since I'm using the SDIO interface for the SD card.

This design is also fairly weight sensitive, so I'd like to get a solder down module that I can attach an external antenna to instead of plugging in a module like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-150Mbps-Wire ... 5b2990d807

Can anyone recommend what the best module that has driver support available might be?

Thanks!

matten

Re: Wifi Module Selection for Raspberry PI Compute

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am

I'm looking for something along the same lines, and I'm considering the LM Technologies LM811 which has Bluetooth as well as WiFi. I had to build the rtl8723bu WiFi driver myself but this was easy to do following the instructions on their website. I haven't done much testing yet but it does seem to work.
There's also a Wifi-only module, the LM823.
Availability is a bit of a worry, the LM811 has been out of stock at RS and Farnell for a while, but LM Technologies have assured me that they do plan to keep supplying this module for some years.
I'm interested to know if anyone has found any other alternatives - it's hard to find the right kind of WiFi module when so many of the modules on the market are the kind with a built-in protocol stack and a serial or SPI interface, which are suitable for an Arduino project but don't give a full-speed and full-featured network interface for Linux.

Michael

thof

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Any update on this, interested in your final design choice!

John Westlake

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:53 am

We also use the LM811 on a few CM3 based designs and it seems to work will - we get about 12Mbps via WiFi only - but this drops to about 2Mbps with BT enabled.

We also have problems sourcing the module - LM have not been much help just saying the module is available - but in reality its always on long back order with RS / Farnell!

Return to “Compute Module”