yaheath

cm/cm3 boot-time configuration

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm

What are the chances that the cm/cm3 boot loader could be modified to be able to use a Hat-style eeprom to load configuration and/or dtoverlays? Wouldn't it be useful to have a standard mechanism for a carrier board to identify itself to the cm[3] and configure IOs?

I tried connecting an eeprom to gpio 0/1 with a hat configuration on it, hoping maybe the hat support stuff might be active, but there is zero i2c activity on those pins when my cm3 boots.

W. H. Heydt

Re: cm/cm3 boot-time configuration

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:31 am

The CM boards expose all interfaces. Of course, if you want to use some of them, they have to be enabled in the kernel. Look to your /boot/config.txt to see if !2C is enabled.

gregeric

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:21 am

The eeprom is polled by the GPU firmware & very early in the boot process: before the rainbow splash screen is rendered, you can see a train of pulses lasting ~3.5ms, even without an eeprom on your expansion board. Enabling kernel/arm i2c use does not enact it.

You can just as well configure your hardware in config.txt. Is there anything to be gained by eeprom configuration, other than if your carrier board replicates the 40-pin header?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:55 am

If you really want to read a HAT EEPROM on a CM, then you can add "force_eeprom_read=1" to config.txt, and define ID_SDA and ID_SCL in your dt-blob.bin.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

yaheath

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:33 pm

6by9 wrote:If you really want to read a HAT EEPROM on a CM, then you can add "force_eeprom_read=1" to config.txt, and define ID_SDA and ID_SCL in your dt-blob.bin.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

yaheath

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm

gregeric wrote: You can just as well configure your hardware in config.txt. Is there anything to be gained by eeprom configuration, other than if your carrier board replicates the 40-pin header?
I anticipate having more than one type of carrier boards with different hardware on them. I also want to have a single OS image that can properly configure itself to whichever of my carrier boards it runs on (so that I don't have to maintain separate OS images that are mostly identical).

If overloading the Hat functionality doesn't work out, my fallback will be to do the hardware configuration post-bootloader early in the startup via a custom systemd service or something.

MKa

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am

Hi,
I have very similar needs as you do - with cm3+ module. Did you find solution reading the HAT EEPROM and get details loaded into /proc/device-tree/hat at boot?

PhilE

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Did you find solution reading the HAT EEPROM and get details loaded into /proc/device-tree/hat at boot?
If you really want to read a HAT EEPROM on a CM, then you can add "force_eeprom_read=1" to config.txt, and define ID_SDA and ID_SCL in your dt-blob.bin.

MKa

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:27 pm

In fact I also asked this in HAT forum
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5&t=250765
were I described what I have done. So I already tried defining SDA and SCL in dt-blob.dts and added that "force_eeprom_read=1" in the /boot/config.txt

They did not get SDA0/SCL0 living at boot.

Return to “Compute Module”