Davey Boy

Where to buy CSI-2 camera ports

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 am

Hey, so with the CM3 coming out soon, I'm basically thinking about buying one and building my own IO board.

It's pretty simple, all I need is a few GPIO pins (max 10 really, if that), 2 camera connectors (raspicam obv), and some sort of network connection (am thinking USB-ethernet, but would have loved wi-fi. Looked incredibly confusing however). Anyway, the only component I'm really having trouble tracking down is the MIPI CSI-2 camera ports. I've been googling and googling (and so much CSI tv show stuff come up) and I can't seem to find where everyone buy their CSI- ports. So yeah, how do you guys do that?

Other than that (unless I'm wrong) all I need is a barrel connector (for the 5V/ 3Amp), with a 3V3 (1.5 amps? Doesn't sound enough for CM3 but I haven't researched that yet) regulator, 10 male pinouts (have one as a 5 volt, one as ground, rest as 3V3 for my relay) and then probably USB-ethernet module with hub, all connected up to the socket the pi goes onto.

^^That's all pointless information, just thought I'd talk about what I'm planning.

TL:DR. where do you buy CSI-2 camera ports/ connectors to add on to your own I/O board?

gregeric

Re: Where to buy CSI-2 camera ports

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 am

Search for "FFC/FPC connector" at your preferred component supplier.

Davey Boy

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 pm

So the rpi camera seems to be 15 way, but the dev I/O board seems to not be 15 way, is there a reason for this? Can I hook directly up to 15 way?

Also, it's only a two lane system right? so 4 of those 15 way points are from that, then another 4 I imagine are from the GPIO's... What I'm getting at is in relation to the 15 way pins, where do I found out what I need to attach the all the compute modules pins? (I can find comp pinout, just haven't found anything directly about 15 way FCC/ FCP)

Sorry for noob questions. It's a big project compared to what I'm used to, but it seems like its something I have to do.

rpdom

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Davey Boy wrote:So the rpi camera seems to be 15 way, but the dev I/O board seems to not be 15 way, is there a reason for this? Can I hook directly up to 15 way?

Also, it's only a two lane system right? so 4 of those 15 way points are from that, then another 4 I imagine are from the GPIO's... What I'm getting at is in relation to the 15 way pins, where do I found out what I need to attach the all the compute modules pins? (I can find comp pinout, just haven't found anything directly about 15 way FCC/ FCP)

Sorry for noob questions. It's a big project compared to what I'm used to, but it seems like its something I have to do.
Page 4 of this document shows the (2 lane) connections to the CSI port on the Raspberry Pi. It is the same for all models.

The Compute Module I/O board has two CSI connectors, one 2-lane and one 4-lane. They use a smaller connector, the same as used on the Pi Zero.
Page 3 of this document shows the wiring of the connectors on the CMIO, and this one shows the adaptor board to connect the standard camera to the CMIO or Pi Zero.

jrychter

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:51 am

Hi,

For the FPC/FFC connectors, I used to use Molex 52610-1572 or 52610-1533 depending on which one was cheaper at the time (the difference is the gold plating). I am now switching to Wuerth 686115148922.

Hope this helps!
--J.
Founder at PartsBox: https://partsbox.io/ (keep track of your electronic components)

Return to “Compute Module”