rody

Availability

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:17 pm

First question a hardware engineer must ask IMHO.

How long will this compute module will be available?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Availability

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 pm

As long as possible. The RPF have not withdrawn a product from sale, although available is decreased on older models.

The form factor means the next version (CM3, out soon) will work in the same slots, and ISTR Liz saying at least 5 years when it first came out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

sorbonne

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm

jamesh wrote:CM3, out soon
great, "soon" when? :roll:

CarlRJ

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 pm

sorbonne wrote:great, "soon" when? :roll:
I have heard "this year" bandied about, but it's all just rumors until a great chorus can say, "it is out now". The Foundation gives few hints, no promises-in-advance, and the impression is that their internal timetable can be affected by forces unknowable to mere mortals. The future rumored CM3 is supposed to be pin compatible with the current CM, so that if you design for the current model, you'll get a performance boost "for free" when the CM3 emerges.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:54 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
sorbonne wrote:great, "soon" when? :roll:
I have heard "this year" bandied about, but it's all just rumors until a great chorus can say, "it is out now". The Foundation gives few hints, no promises-in-advance, and the impression is that their internal timetable can be affected by forces unknowable to mere mortals. The future rumored CM3 is supposed to be pin compatible with the current CM, so that if you design for the current model, you'll get a performance boost "for free" when the CM3 emerges.
In the flurry of press and clog coverage at the Pi3 launch, Eben said "this year". He also said that the Pi3A would be out "this year", but after the CM3.

It is known that actual CM3s exist. One poster has mentioned testing one. For designing a carrier board, the one thing I would make allowance for is that the CM3 will almost certainly want more current that the CM.

It is moderately likely that at least one reason the CM3 isn't out yet is production line capacity. Between ongoing high sales volume o the Pi3B requiring a lot of them to be made, and also the Pi3B probably taking up pretty much all of teh currently available BCM2837 SoCs, I don't expect to see the actual launch of the CM3 until at least September, and I think the Pi3A won't actually get launched until early 2017. I'd love to find out that my estimates on both are too pessimistic.

rody

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:36 am

Can someone confirm that the CM3 is pincompatible with the CM?
If the CM3 is somewhere out there (proto, no production) may be there is also some documentation available? So I can design the hardware with the CM and make it compatible with the CM3 for the future. There must be some documentation, a design spec to start with... What are the differences, Soc, etc

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 am

rody wrote:Can someone confirm that the CM3 is pincompatible with the CM?
If the CM3 is somewhere out there (proto, no production) may be there is also some documentation available? So I can design the hardware with the CM and make it compatible with the CM3 for the future. There must be some documentation, a design spec to start with... What are the differences, Soc, etc
Already discussed: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=137952&p=915727#p915727

Retired disgracefully.....

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 am

It should be. But since the CM3 isn't announced and isn't available then nobody can confirm anything.

You'll have to wait until the RPF folks make there formal product launch.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RaTTuS

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:15 am

6by9 has plugged on into an existing carrier board
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

rody

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 am

It is the first time I look at the Raspberry Pi to use it in my own design. Normally I use a commercial module. And I'm used to it that the hardware design manual, footprint, datasheet, etc, is easily available for download. May be it is me, but where do I find the documents? I found the schematic for the CM and the Broadcom pheriperals doc, but where can I found the hardware design doc with pin description, layout recommendations, voltage/current, etc ? Also interested in the hardware docs for the RASPBERRY PI 3 MODEL B, because the CM3 will use the same SoC.

jamesh

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am

rody wrote:It is the first time I look at the Raspberry Pi to use it in my own design. Normally I use a commercial module. And I'm used to it that the hardware design manual, footprint, datasheet, etc, is easily available for download. May be it is me, but where do I find the documents? I found the schematic for the CM and the Broadcom pheriperals doc, but where can I found the hardware design doc with pin description, layout recommendations, voltage/current, etc ? Also interested in the hardware docs for the RASPBERRY PI 3 MODEL B, because the CM3 will use the same SoC.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... gnguide.md

CM3 will be a BCM2837 version of CM1, pin compatible.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

rody

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks. But still missing some documentation like pin description. Only thing I have now it the schematic.

jamesh

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 am

rody wrote:Thanks. But still missing some documentation like pin description. Only thing I have now it the schematic.
Not here????

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... utemodule/

rody

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I will manage but may be I'm spoiled by the commercial modules documentation.
May be it is me, but I can't find a pin description with possible peripheral options. Starting with the schematics I have the pins and from there I can look them up in the Broadcom documentation. A table is so must easier, but not a big issue dough.

"Note: raspi-gpio can be used with the funcs argument to get a list of all supported GPIO functions per pin, it will print out a table in CSV format. The idea is to pipe the table to a .csv file and then load this file using e.g. Excel"

The positive is that the support on this forum is great. Thanks!

sorbonne

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:I don't expect to see the actual launch of the CM3 until at least September
September? Isn't it too late? According to these guys, it should have already been out:

http://modberry.techbase.eu/news/raspbe ... te-module/

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:07 am

sorbonne wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:I don't expect to see the actual launch of the CM3 until at least September
September? Isn't it too late? According to these guys, it should have already been out:

as that was posted June
Thank you for your interest in Raspberry Pi.

We expect the Compute Module 3 to be available within the next couple of months. Please keep an eye on our blog for announcements.
end of Aug - which means Sept.
anyway they probably have less knowledge than the foundation or factory - it will be ready when it's ready ....
Last edited by RaTTuS on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 am

RPT are the only source and they never give out roadmaps.

Therefore anything else like all these types of post can be filed under ""Poppycock & Balderdash""
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:59 pm

sorbonne wrote:

I just checked Allied (US branch of RS) and all they list is the current CM, both bare board and dev kit. I think the Modberry site is blowing smoke. The RPF/RPT certainly *intended* the CM3 to be out around now, but intentions and reality often differ. The launch of new Pi products has consistently been later than intended. Hence my *personal* expectation (and prediction) that it is likely to appear around September, and the--intended for later this year, after the CM3--Pi3A will, *I* think, not come out until the first quarter of 2017. YMMV.

Note: RS (but not Allied) are listing both the CM and the dev kit at a fairly deep discount to their previously normal price. That *may* indicate that the CM3 will arrive soon (that is, perhaps they're trying to clear inventory).

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:...
Note: RS (but not Allied) are listing both the CM and the dev kit at a fairly deep discount to their previously normal price. That *may* indicate that the CM3 will arrive soon (that is, perhaps they're trying to clear inventory).
RS has had a massive discount on the dev kit for a long time now...
I keep hovering over the buy button... for ages now ...

Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:04 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:...
RS has had a massive discount on the dev kit for a long time now...
I keep hovering over the buy button... for ages now ...
Only on the UK site, though. Fortunately, there is an "RS Export" site that runs off the UK site, which is how I picked up a spare dev kit and a couple of additional CM boards last month. I think I now have a "lifetime supply" of CM1 boards.

sorbonne

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Oh..September has come.. :roll:

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:06 pm

sorbonne wrote:
I have been contemplating that fact. I may have been too optimistic, but it's still early in the month. On the other hand, all those people who thought I was way too pessimistic can now eat crow. For now, I stand by my guess that the Pi3A won't actually launch until next year.

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:47 am

sorbonne wrote:
Launching at some future time in 2016 doesn't end until December 31st at 23:59:60 (yes, there's a leap second there).

EDIT: I've got a revealing comment from Eben on CM3 https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ten-mi ... nt-1262991
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:55 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
sorbonne wrote:
Launching at some future time in 2016 doesn't end until December 31st at 23:59:60 (yes, there's a leap second there).

EDIT: I've got a revealing comment from Eben on CM3 https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ten-mi ... nt-1262991
Yeah...I spotted that as well.

Caveats: Eben didn't say *when* the orders had been placed. Neither did he say what the normal order to availability time is.

So...it's still all guesswork. Going by the "we've placed orders" until the results started showing up with Pi Zero production earlier this year, optimism would suggest that we may see them some time within the next 30 to 60 days.

jamesh

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:42 am

I heard before/around Xmas.

Return to “Compute Module”