Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: CM3

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Aha... Found teh US listings: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... i-compute3

CM3L: $27
CM3: $31
Dev Kit: $177.

AND...Newark is doing their "+$20 shipping per order" trick which means that they're not stocking (and possibly not planning to stock) CM3 products in their US facilities. Thanks guys...you've just sent this potential customer to Allied (the RS US subsidiary) for there items. I really have to be desperate--and be facing a "sole source" situation--to pay the *extra* shipping charge. And that's on top of what appears to be very unfavorable tax and currency conversion figures.
The lead time pop-up says stock should be in by 1/16/17 (or 16/1/17 for those into DD/MM/YY ordering). Since it may be months for Allied to get stock (if history is any guide), is anyone in the U.S. interested in pooling an order and then reshipping for about $5 per order, e.g., Priority Mail? I'd volunteer to coordinate it and get everything reshipped when they arrive.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

charlton91

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am

It would appear that the CM3, CM3L and CM3 Dev kit have all now gone from the farnell website.
They show in the search bar as you are typing but on clicking on them it says it cant find any matching products.

So maybe we need to wait a bit longer :)

sorbonne

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:56 pm

So when will wee see the dev kit in europe (isn't the rpi made in the uk after all?)? Apart from the above link to newark.com, which is in the US if I am not wrong, the other links to the board are dead..

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:04 pm

sorbonne wrote:So when will wee see the dev kit in europe (isn't the rpi made in the uk after all?)? Apart from the above link to newark.com, which is in the US if I am not wrong, the other links to the board are dead..
Probably imminently.
This is fairly typical of Farnell and RS that they add new products into the live website before release date, get slapped by the manufacturer for leaking data, and then pull it until they were supposed to put it on the market.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:44 pm

6by9 wrote:
sorbonne wrote:So when will wee see the dev kit in europe (isn't the rpi made in the uk after all?)? Apart from the above link to newark.com, which is in the US if I am not wrong, the other links to the board are dead..
Probably imminently.
This is fairly typical of Farnell and RS that they add new products into the live website before release date, get slapped by the manufacturer for leaking data, and then pull it until they were supposed to put it on the market.
I was wondering about that yesterday, what with no blog announcement and only Farnell having data up. So it would appear that the RPF/RPT did a bit of a beatdown. Still...one useful datum came out of it: pricing information.

mikronauts

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Are there mods to use a CM3 with the older dev board?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:03 pm

mikronauts wrote:Are there mods to use a CM3 with the older dev board?
Yes, it was mentioned another post one needs to modify the power input vbat

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=161338&start=25#p1052571
Retired disgracefully.....

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 pm

The CM3 will reportedly work with the Original Flavor dev board if additional current is provided via beefing-up (via a jumper, I'd guess) that's required for the CM3 (and certainly the NEC CM3-16GB) via vbat. However, the CM3 Lite will need the New and Improved Flavor dev board because the CM3L won't have any eMMC flash memory on-board, and the new dev board will reportedly have a micro-SD card interface for that purpose.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

ElEscalador

Elescalador

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
The CM3 will reportedly work with the Original Flavor dev board if additional current is provided via beefing-up (via a jumper, I'd guess) that's required for the CM3 (and certainly the NEC CM3-16GB) via vbat. However, the CM3 Lite will need the New and Improved Flavor dev board because the CM3L won't have any eMMC flash memory on-board, and the new dev board will reportedly have a micro-SD card interface for that purpose.
Buuuuut, if I understand correctly- shouldn't one be able to just install an micro sd slot then pop an sd card in from working zero and the CM3L will just go, yes? (Assuming you give it power and whatever same circuits to/from the same-numbered gpio pins)
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
Well...maybe... In theory, one can boot the CM3L from another system (that's what you start by doing when you flash the eMMC) and--as I understand it--in that state you can set the "boot from USB" OTP bit. Then you'd be able to boot the CM3L from an attached USB device that contains a properly configured system. Of course, it should also be possible, using the new CM3 IO board that has an SD slot to just boot a CM3L with an SD card that sets the OTP bit, and Robert is your avuncular relative.

Now if WD will be kind enough to produce a SATA adapter board for the CM3/CM3L/CM3-16, the CM3L would be the ideal choice. (Of course, I'd *also* like a revised SATA adapter to include either a third USB port or an Ethernet jack in addition to the two USB ports on the current version.) One may hope the next iteration of Pi, CM and SATA adapter all get to use USB 3....

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Now this is amusing... On the Farnell web site, if you search on "rpi-compute" you get a index page listing CM, CM dev kit, CM3, CM3L, and CM3 dev kit. If you then click on any of the CM3 products, you get a page saying 'product not found'. So while they've taken the individual product pages down, the index still has them.

Link: http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... a=true&vw=

mikronauts

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Thank you for the link!

That is a very easy mod.
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Yes, it was mentioned another post one needs to modify the power input vbat

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=161338&start=25#p1052571
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

mikronauts

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks Jim.

I am more interested in the CM3 than the CM3L, as I like having eMMC for the boot drive - in my experience, plant operators will often remove any removable media...
Jim Manley wrote:

Jim Manley

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:22 pm

mikronauts wrote:I am more interested in the CM3 than the CM3L, as I like having eMMC for the boot drive - in my experience, plant operators will often remove any removable media...
That's what environmentally-sealed enclosures are for - just keep the card invisible to the denizens of the environment as well as the most troublesome part of any interactive system ... the loose nut behind the keyboard!

Remember that the CMs are meant to be deployed embedded in something other than the I/O _development_ board and, as Mr. Heydt pointed out, if the USB bit is flipped in a CM3*, then booting from a USB storage device will be possible, although that's still an alpha feature, AFAIK. It should be pointed out that a CM3L will have to have its USB boot bit set via a New and Improved Flavor I/O dev board after being booted from a micro-SD card on the dev board.

mikronauts

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Good points Jim.

Hmmm... maybe add a passive heatsink, and encase in epoxy :)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 am

Jim Manley wrote: Remember that the CMs are meant to be deployed embedded in something other than the I/O _development_ board and, as Mr. Heydt pointed out, if the USB bit is flipped in a CM3*, then booting from a USB storage device will be possible, although that's still an alpha feature, AFAIK. It should be pointed out that a CM3L will have to have its USB boot bit set via a New and Improved Flavor I/O dev board after being booted from a micro-SD card on the dev board.
I asked about setting the OTP boot bits on the CM3 some months ago in the sticky thread (General Forum) on boot-over-USB. I was told that the bits could be set if you are booted into the mode that permits programming the flash. So--technically--any carrier board that allows the flash programming mode could be used to set the bit(s). This was all before I got wind of the CM3L, but the process would still apply.

That being all well and good, it would obviously be a trivial task to create a boot and set the bits SD card, use the dev kit CMIO board (with SD slot), and blow in the bits quickly one CM3L at a time. One could even set the card up to halt the CM3L after the bits are set, meaning that one needn't connect any of the usual peripherals to do a clean shutdown.

Now if WD will just step up to the plate with a SATA adapter that will handle a CM3/CM3L (and add either a 3rd USB port or an Ehternet connction)....

ElEscalador

Elescalador

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 am

I dont know what any of that means. Can a guy slap an sd card in there from a zero amd it'll go just fine? Who should *need* a development board.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Elescalador

Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:47 am

ElEscalador wrote:I dont know what any of that means. Can a guy slap an sd card in there from a zero amd it'll go just fine? Who should *need* a development board.
At present, an SD card from any model of Pi should work in any other model of Pi (assuming it's reasonably current). The thing about the CM is that even the CM3L doesn't actually *have* and SD card slot. If it exists, it would be on the carrier board. The dev kit CMIO is just a sample design that exposes every interface the SoC has. Because the CM3L has no on-board eMMC memory, the CM3 CMIO board has an SD slot.

The main reason you might want a dev kit would be if you are doing development and testing of something new and you don't want to be constantly having to make new carrier boards because it turned out you needed something that wasn't on the current one. Remember...the CM series boards are intended for industrial and embedded uses. That some individuals (relatively few, I suspect) find them useful for non-industrial applications is just the reverse of the usual situation.

ElEscalador

Elescalador

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:22 am

Right. I'm good with that part - it was more a question of architecture than wiring. I do intend a product and if I must install my own sd slot then I must. (Although one installed by the manufacturer would be SWEET)

amigob

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Where can I buy as private person buy the CM3 devkit ?
The links above don't work any more from the element14 site.
And I think I can't order them there ?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:32 pm

amigob wrote:Where can I buy as private person buy the CM3 devkit ?
The links above don't work any more from the element14 site.
And I think I can't order them there ?
This has been a quieter--and somewhat slower--example of various Pi product launches. The companies aren't supposed to release anything until the official release date, but it seems like every time, some company or other jumps the gun and the RPT/RPF has to slap them down over it. Most early announcements lead to a plethora of comment threads that the Mods then have to run around sending to /dev/null. Somewhat unusually, this time, this thread, is being allowed to survive.

The reason the links don't work is that the companies have pulled the information they had out there. Once the CM3/CM3L/CM3 dev kit are officially released, RS and Farnell and their various subsidiaries will allow you to order the boards.

So...the real question comes down the the one everyone had prior to about a week ago: When? At this point, about the only reasonable guess is: Within the next week and a bit. (That is "this year".) Clearly, the boards exist. Clearly the suppliers are geared up to handle orders for the boards. We just have to wait for the RPT/RPF to "pull the trigger". Perhaps it will be a Boxing Day announcement? Or will they wait for next Tuesday so the web masters and ordering people can have a peaceful day off before the feeding frenzy hits?

And, if all that isn't enough, NEC is supposed to release their custom CM3-16 "in January". That has been kept under wraps better than the RPT CM3 boards. Pricing is going to be interesting to find out about....

W. H. Heydt

Re: Elescalador

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm

ElEscalador wrote:Right. I'm good with that part - it was more a question of architecture than wiring. I do intend a product and if I must install my own sd slot then I must. (Although one installed by the manufacturer would be SWEET)
The major point of the CM boards is that they have just SOC, eMMC (but not on the CM3L), and RAM. Any other interfaces go on the carrier board. You want an SD card holder? Add one to your carrier board.

What you might consider is getting a CM1 dev kit (they're pretty cheap now) just to experiment with and "get a feel" for what the CM is and how it works. The kit comes with a CM, so for about $75 you can get started.

Jim Manley

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 am

Since people keep asking when the CM3 will be available and no one seems to have paid any attention to my post from December 12th, I'll repeat the appropriate portion here:
Jim Manley wrote:The lead time pop-up says stock should be in by 1/16/17 (or 16/1/17 for those into DD/MM/YY ordering).

burtyb

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:02 am

Jim Manley wrote:Since people keep asking when the CM3 will be available and no one seems to have paid any attention to my post from December 12th, I'll repeat the appropriate portion here:
Jim Manley wrote:The lead time pop-up says stock should be in by 1/16/17 (or 16/1/17 for those into DD/MM/YY ordering).
I don't know what other people are seeing on orders they sneaked in but the last update I had from Farnell was "Estimated Delivery W/C 6/02/2017" (or 2/6/2017 for those into MM/DD/YYYY ordering).

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Jim Manley wrote:Since people keep asking when the CM3 will be available and no one seems to have paid any attention to my post from December 12th, I'll repeat the appropriate portion here:
You're not the only one pointing to that date (we'll see what happens), but "official launch date" and "receipt of goods" don't seem to be very tightly linked when it comes to new Pi products. Still...given that 16 Jan. is a holiday for most of the US and that the Pi Zero launched on a US holiday (Thanksgiving), it has a certain amount of charm as the possible launch day.

Return to “Compute Module”