MattHawkinsUK

BerryClip 6 LED Buzzer Board

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm

I would like to introduce the BerryClip 6 LED Buzzer Board for the Raspberry Pi.

The BerryClip 6 LED Board is a small, cheap and fun add-on board for the Raspberry Pi. It consists of a PCB populated with 6 coloured LEDs, 1 switch and 1 buzzer. It is easy to attach to the Pi’s GPIO header and allows anyone to quickly start creating fun scripts.

The simple combination of lights, switch and buzzer is a perfect introduction to software and hardware interfacing. There are plenty of example Python scripts available so once assembled you can get your board working in minutes.

The idea is to give someone a quick "hello world" moment that will hopefully help them move onto more advanced projects.

There is more information on my website's BerryClip page.

The kits are available from my eBay account :
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/raspberrypispy
Last edited by MattHawkinsUK on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Wasp_Box

Re: BerryClip 6 LED Buzzer Board

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 am

Just bought one of these as it looks as if it will fit perfectly into my plans to help my son (11 and already programming in Python) to learn basic electronics, soldering and interfacing with the Pi. It was dispatched the day I ordered it so just waiting for it to drop through the letterbox.

Matt doesn't mention that he has a stack of Python scripts set to install from his blog that make the little BerryClip do all sorts of things. If this works as I hope, it's going to be just the ticket. I'll report back after Christmas (the Pi's a pressie).

HarryL

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:07 am

Have been looking for something with a buzzer .. But i dó not live in the Uk.. Im from Denmark .. Will this be avalable outside the uk like eu? At some point..
2 Model B 256MB / 2 Model B 512MB / Gertboard / HDhomerun,Anysee E30 C Plus DVB-C Tuner

MattHawkinsUK

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 am

If you follow the link to my eBay account you can order from the EU. I forgot this thread still said it was UK only.

If you've got friends who might want one it might be worth ordering more than one as this helps keep the postage cost down.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/

Wasp_Box

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

Reporting back as promised.

Bought this little board as a present to help my son (11) learn python and start some basic electronics. After a bit of practise with a breadboard and some very simple circuits we moved on to learn to solder. In the meanwhile we used the Khan Academy to start to learn python (great site BTW).

Yesterday he soldered the Berryclip together on his own and went through Matt's python scripts and then ran them. His sense of achievement when everything worked as it should was great to see.

I really recommend this little board - it's great value and great fun. Now we are going to try writing some scripts ourselves.

Thanks

WB

HarryL

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 am

MattHawkinsUK wrote:If you follow the link to my eBay account you can order from the EU. I forgot this thread still said it was UK only.

If you've got friends who might want one it might be worth ordering more than one as this helps keep the postage cost down.

have just received my order of 2 PCB, thx
2 Model B 256MB / 2 Model B 512MB / Gertboard / HDhomerun,Anysee E30 C Plus DVB-C Tuner

r00x

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

Hello chaps, just got one of these! Very useful and cost-effective for testing GPIO.

It works great. I wrote a little bit of code to use the LEDs as a CPU utilisation meter. It's crappily written but it works :D the LEDs will ramp up with CPU load. The code also displays an ASCII graph on the screen showing recent CPU history.

You will need Python, RPi.GPIO and mpstat (apt-get install sysstat if I recall) to use this:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
import os
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
import time

#Early test code:
#readCPU = os.popen("mpstat 1 1 | awk '{print $11}'")
#CPUUsage = readCPU.read()
#print CPUUsage

CPU_HISTORY_SIZE = 30
CPU_HISTORY = [0] * CPU_HISTORY_SIZE

import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
import time

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)          #use GPIO pin references

#List pin numbers in order
#Leds = [4,17,22,10,9,11]       #now Leds[0] = first led, Leds[1] = 2nd, and so on
Leds = [11,9,10,22,17,4]         #reversed: LED 6 = bottom of scale, LED 1 = top.

#set up LEDs as output
for x in range (6):
        GPIO.setup(Leds[x], GPIO.OUT)   #set as OUTPUT
        GPIO.output(Leds[x], False)     #turn off (in case they are on)

def ledon(led):
        GPIO.output(Leds[led], True)
        time.sleep(0.02)

def ledoff(led):
        GPIO.output(Leds[led], False)
        time.sleep(0.002)

#Puts ASCII bar chart on the screen representing CPU load
def print_CPU_bars():
        line10 = ''
        line9 = ''
        line8 = ''
        line7 = ''
        line6 = ''
        line5 = ''
        line4 = ''
        line3 = ''
        line2 = ''
        line1 = ''
        #iterate through list, divide by ten each time
        for i in range (0, CPU_HISTORY_SIZE):
                line10 = line10+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 9) else line10 + ' '
                line9 = line9+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 8) else line9 + ' '
                line8 = line8+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 7) else line8 + ' '
                line7 = line7+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 6) else line7 + ' '
                line6 = line6+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 5) else line6 + ' '
                line5 = line5+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 4) else line5 + ' '
                line4 = line4+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 3) else line4 + ' '
                line3 = line3+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 2) else line3 + ' '
                line2 = line2+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 1) else line2 + ' '
                line1 = line1+ '#' if((int(CPU_HISTORY[i]) / 10) >= 0) else line1 + ' '

print '--CURRENT CPU USAGE:--'
        print '100' + line10
        print '   ' + line9
        print ' - ' + line8
        print '   ' + line7
        print ' - ' + line6
        print '   ' + line5
        print ' - ' + line4
        print '   ' + line3
        print ' - ' + line2
        print ' 0 ' + line1

def clear_LED_bar():
        for x in range(6):
                GPIO.output(Leds[x], False)     #turn off LEDs

#sets the LEDs based on latest reading:
def set_LED_bar():
        clear_LED_bar() #clear bar first
        LED = int(CPU_HISTORY[CPU_HISTORY_SIZE-1]/17)
        for x in range(6):
                if(x<=LED): GPIO.output(Leds[x], True)

def get_CPU_Usage():
        readCPU = os.popen("mpstat 1 1 | awk '{print $11'}")
        idle_cpu = readCPU.read()
        #we now have idle time in 'text' form
        idlePercentage = float(idle_cpu.split()[2])
        #print idlePercentage
        return idlePercentage

while (1):
        #readCPU = os.popen("mpstat 1 1 | awk '{print $11}'")
        #CPUUsage = readCPU.read()
        #print CPUUsage.split()[2]
        idletime = get_CPU_Usage()
        CPU_HISTORY.append(100.00 - idletime)
        if len(CPU_HISTORY) > CPU_HISTORY_SIZE: CPU_HISTORY.pop(0)
        os.system("clear")
        #print CPU_HISTORY  #commented out for now - reduce terminal flicker
        print_CPU_bars()
        set_LED_bar()

Let me know if it works for you!

rhobbis

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Matt seems to have stopped selling these from his ebay shop but they're available from raspberrypispy at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BerryClip-6-L ... 1234042533 - they're shipped from the same location so presumably Matt has made a new account.
Just bought one - looking forward to a bit of soldering and scripting at last!

Richard

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I would like to see a side-on view of the GPIO connector with the berryclip mounted on the Pi. Does the pcb sit 'above' the RCA connector?

Cheers,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

rhobbis

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Does the pcb sit 'above' the RCA connector?
The completed unit is taller than the RCA connector but the PCB itself does not physically cover or obstruct the RCA connector.
See the pic at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28185079/IMG_20 ... 214838.jpg

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks. I can't see the Dropbox image thou. I'm not bothered about it obstructing the connectors. I'm interested in knowing if the connector makes the pcb sit above the RCA connector.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

DexOS

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 am

texy wrote:Thanks. I can't see the Dropbox image thou. I'm not bothered about it obstructing the connectors. I'm interested in knowing if the connector makes the pcb sit above the RCA connector.
Texy
From that image, it is level with the RCA, so it would not go over the RCA.
#### *************
####
####

#### = RCA
****** = PCB
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

MattHawkinsUK

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 pm

The headers I use don't lift the PCB high enough for it to clear the composite video connector. There are extra tall headers around but I haven't found a source of them at a sensible price.

I've recently set up a new eBay account to sell BerryClips (raspberrypispy) but I'm waiting for more stock. Hopefully within this will arrive within the next few weeks.

CleoQc

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm getting ready to solder mine.
I got 4 of them, as shipping cost to Canada was the same for one or for four. I will pass the extras on to friends who have a Pi and teens getting into programming.
Sometimes I can do things that make sense

CleoQc

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm

okayyy
if, as soon as I put the berry clip onto the GPIO, the buzzer starts buzzing, does that mean I soldered it in reverse?

MattHawkinsUK

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm

The buzzer has a little [+] marked on it. This should be towards the side of the PCB. The [-] should be towards the resistor and switch.

If you've got a multimeter it is worth checking that Pin 24 is not connected to the surrounding pins (21, 22, 23, 25 and 26).

The other thing to try is boot your Pi from a refresh Raspbian image to rule out something in your current setup having set Pin 24 high. If you've got a multimeter you could check the voltage on Pin 24 before you attach the BerryClip to check if it has been set high.

CleoQc

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:10 am

thanks. I'll check Pin 24 tomorrow, tis a bit late tonight.

I double, tripled checked, and I assembled the board right. It must be the pin, because once I use Python to turn the buzzer off, it does so, and it stays off. Then I can turn it on and off as needed. It's really just when I start the PI that it buzzes when it shouldn't. The board acts properly otherwise.

MeanMarty

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi, I bought the Berryclip (http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/berryc ... tructions/) which include 6 LED:s, the problem is that only LED 1,4,5,6 is working OK.
- When I set LED 2 & 3, the just flash, and won´t keep turned on like the other LED:s.

I've tested the Berryclip alone with 5V, and then the LED:s work OK.

MeanMarty

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I fond the solution myself...
- I've had the "LedBorg - An ultra bright RGB LED add on board for your Raspberry Pi"
http://www.piborg.com/ledborg, and there was a conflict with the GPIO!

To stop LedBorg from auto-loading from a terminal type:
sudo update-rc.d ledborg.sh remove

Then the GPIO and Berryclip work alright!

richard238

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 am

I'd like this to run more than 6 LEDS.
I have a chain of thirteen LEDS, how can I increase the number of LEDS driven by the Berry Clip board?

Thank you.

umairaqib

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am making my own board with all the same accessories in Berry Clip. But I am confused in connecting the pins for GND and voltage from the header to switch and buzzer.

Would you please help me in this regard and share any schematic or something through which i am able to make my functional board?

simplesi

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Matt
I've got the strange Pin24 being high at boot effect as well :(

Its happening without your board being plugged in and goes away as soon as i run RPI.GPIO in a python prog but its very annoying :) (not your fault of course :)

I've got a Rev 1 boards so I'm wondering if the firmware bods have done something to change Pin 24's behaviour as its supposed to be low at boot according to the the wiki

Just passing on the info in case any others having same problem

Simon
PS Forgot I had a Model A - just tried it - and it too is defaulting to Pin24 high at boot :(
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

simplesi

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Its due to me enableling the Alt function of pins 24 and 26
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40#p438640

So OK now

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

Return to “For sale”