simpex

Re: Windows 10

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:30 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:The Windows 10 for Phone Kernel has been updated so is not the same as W8.1 for Phone Kernel, M$ have stated somewhere that not all W8.1 for Phones Phones will be upgradeable.
1) All phones that will accept an upgrade to Windows 10 will run the applications written for Windows Phone 8 and 8.1.
2) Possible, Nokia 520 will not be able to use the new Windows 10 because it has only 512 MB RAM. Raspberry Pi 2 has 1 GB, same quantity as the latest Windows (former Nokia) Phones and in consequence the development board has enough resources to run Windows 10.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:13 pm

jamesh wrote:Please don't use M$.

:shock:
You no idea the amount of abuse I've got just for typing the above. I would have thought the use of a smilie would have indicated it was tongue in cheek, given the statement from a poster above, in a clear case of moderator baiting.

M$ is OLD HAT people. It was stupid when it was first used (in the 90's?), and it's even more pathetic now, but if you want to keep using it, be my guest. But every time you do, you are showing your ignorance. Microsoft is a business, just like any other business. Al businesses want to make money - in fact, its required by LAW if you have shareholders. So why don't people use E$$o, or $amsung, or $teve Jobs, or Te$co? They are all companies out to make money. Please be consistent, either use it for all business, or for none.

It's not even as if MS are making the sort of money they used to nowadays.

And just for the benefit of people who should know better, the Win10 thing on Pi is a Microsoft initiated program, that the Foundation helps out with in a pretty minor way. It's not some master plan to take over the Raspi world by MS, there are no ulterior motives from the Foundation (I cannot speak for MS), there is no 'getting in to bed with the enemy'. It's exactly what is says on the tin - another OS you can use on the Pi if you want to. It's not slowly down anything else on the Pi, its not taking resources away from the Linux or education side.

I use WIndows at work, I don't like it for dev work, so I use Ubuntu in a VM, and at home all the PC's are Linux. So it's not like I am a MS apologist. What I am is someone who is happy to let people use what they want.

So, less PM's with abuse please, and try to avoid making yourself look like a dick.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pluggy

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Afternoon, James ;)

A smilie with stern face ?

I will continue to use M$. Its long accepted shorthand and since the Founder and ex CEO of Microsoft is American and one of the worlds richest men, it is entirely appropriate. If I were the man I'd wear it as a badge of honour.

Yes I wrote (one ?) of said PMs.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

DougieLawson

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:33 pm

pluggy wrote: I will continue to use M$.
Go on use Microsnot or Micro$oft and show how pathetic you really can get.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:34 pm

OK OK not M$ then but Micro$oft instead :D

Yes DL you are always mr perfection and I am pathetic, thank you for remind me :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

pluggy

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm

I've used the second on occasion, but not on here, the first is a tad infantile, even for me.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

jamesh

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:38 pm

And.....lock. You really can't help yourselves, can you! And I've currently chatting with other mods to see what further action to take.

We need a Win10 thread here, but if people keep hijacking it, despite being asked NOT TO, then people will find themselves unable to post, and that would be a shame.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Beginners”