cormad

VNC Copy and Paste

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Newbie here,
Working with my first PI and Piface. I am able to VNC into my PI and have a script in place to load the VNC server on Boot. I have also also configured the Pi to autoboot to GUI. It is working great except for some reason I can no longer copy and paste into terminal command or Python from my PC?? I was also wondering why in VNC the PI screen does not reflect what I am doing on my PC screen? I assume it may be to resource heavy?

Jeff

bulletmark

Re: VNC Copy and Paste

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 pm

You may already know this but if you just want to open terminal windows then by far the best, simplest, and most efficient way is to ssh directly in to the RPi using an ssh client like KiTTY from windows, or natively from a Mac or Linux PC. Copy and paste work without issue then also.

I've never once started any X/GUI software on any RPi that I've owned.

simplesi

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 am

Linux has the concept of multiple desktops and standard VNC servers give each connection a new desktop - which is good normally when remoting in from far away but strange to see is you can see both your Pi and VNC display at same time.

X11VNC server works slightly differently and lets you see/control the "normal" Pi screen

I use it all the time and only occasionally does it fail to copy/paste to/from my PC

I recommend removing your current VNCServer and using it instead

I've made an easy script to install it

http://simplesi.net/auto-install-x11vnc/
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

cormad

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:45 am

Great, Thanks Simon......I will give it a try

Return to “Beginners”