Atari Boy

Running 'headless'

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Please be VERY gentle, I am new here yet old and not used to code or Raspberry Pi's.

I was given a B+ for Christmas (I have fancied a Pi for a while and thought I might lean something useful). The last time I tried to program was in Basic on my ZX Spectrum and I was trying to copy cheats from Crash magazine i.e. a very long time ago....

I am already tired of hooking my Pi unto a TV; I don't own a standalone monitor so want to run it headless off my Mac.
As I said, I have very little knowledge so could someone provide step by step instructions to set this up please?

I have a B+ with Raspbian installed and wireless internet access.
My main areas of confusion are about how I wire it into my mac, do I still need to plug it into the router and what can i do if I want to use different machines with different IP addresses for example?

Many thanks in advance.

Hove

Re: Running 'headless'

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Does your router also have wireless (WiFi) support? I presume your Mac does. If yes to both, then you just power up your 'headless' RPi, and use a program on your Mac (or any other computer at home using the router WiFi) which provides ssh (secure shell). This will ask you for the name of the machine you want to connect to - probably raspberrypi, up pops a window looking like the RPi console screen, and you're away.
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

TrevorAppleton

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:56 pm

I have written a few blog posts on this.

To remotely connect to a Raspberry Pi desktop

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... sktop.html

To log into your Raspberry Pi using SSH.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ry-pi.html

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any problems, and I will try to help.
Check out my blog post for Raspberry Pi and Python tutorials.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/

Atari Boy

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Hove, Fruitoftheloom and TrevorAppleton, I salute you, thank you.

I suspect I am very fortunate that I have the correct set up (wireless Mac and router) for easy access, but as I type I am 'headless' and it only took me five minutes to do it too.

mountainmojo

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm

I've been trying to get my pi running headless for most of the morning now but keep running into a problem with the password. For some reason the default password, raspberry, isn't accepted when I try to ssh in. I keep getting this

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

after three attempts at the password. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Let me know what extra info you may need.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:09 am

mountainmojo wrote:I've been trying to get my pi running headless for most of the morning now but keep running into a problem with the password. For some reason the default password, raspberry, isn't accepted when I try to ssh in. I keep getting this

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

after three attempts at the password. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Let me know what extra info you may need.
Remember that unix/Linux commands, and things like passwords are "case sensitive". Make sure that you are typing in the password in all lower case.

(And, FYI, on the general set up subject, the Mac needn't connect to the router wirelessly, nor does the Pi have to do so. Wired connections can be used for either or both devices.)

Return to “Beginners”