leathco

Recommendations for low-profile USB wifi?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:32 am

I finally got my invitation today and placed my order for a Raspberry Pi. A few months ago I ordered a black and blue case from modmypi.com as well as picked up a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that uses a single low-profile USB dongle. Now I just need the hardware for Wifi.

Put simply, I need a low-profile USB Wireless nub to finish off my setup. I am looking at one, but not sure if any of them will work with Debian based systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un- ... b+wireless

It says it works with linux, but I am not sure it would work with Debian on an ARM based CPU. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Recommendations for low-profile USB wifi?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:40 am

It will not finish off your setup because you will still need a powered hub. Any wifi dongle is going to need more current than the pi can safely supply without
issue. Your suggested dongle is one that many people are already using. Apart from an some issues with the latest debian wheezy distro recently released, which I,m sure will be resolved before long, it is a good 'un !
See this thread for installation :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=6256

Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Reider

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 am

I used the Edimax 7811Un successfully in the RPi`s own USB port. Making use of Debian Squeeze I had no problems using a script the OP provided in that link in the post above mine. The problem started when I updated the firmware in debian Squeeze and the adapter failed to work with the OS from that point on.

Work went on to rectify the matter but I`d been trying the Debian Wheezy Alpha distro and was so impressed by the increased speed and feeling of being rock solid that I wished to continue with it. The Edimax did not work in that, but the same link above describes a new patch that came out very very quickly after the beta of Wheezy was released. I am using both and it works perfectly well, again still in the RPi USB port with no powered USB Hub in use. My MS USB keyboard/mouse adapter is plugged directly into the remaining port.

This Edimax adapter is fast and small. It's readily adapted to changes of distro, albeit by a provided script and subject to goodwill. For me it was a bargain and only £8.95 inc free delivery. Well worth taking the chance on it.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=175

Page 8, well down the page. Download the script ready for getting the Pi. When you do there`s more than one way to do this but here goes. Setup Filezilla or similar windows FTP to connect to your RPi IP. Using ifconfig (not ipconfig) should tell you it, but look closely when it boots and you should see it, I set mine to static instead of DHCP addressing so I know what the IP is every time it boots-the router has the Pi Mac address set to the same IP too. Upload the script to the RPi then log out of Filezilla. Log into the RPi as SU root, type in startx for the GUI Desktop, look in OTHER for file manager and move the script to /BOOT. The link has a way to do this with a command instead of using Filezilla, so there are two choices so far.

Use the given command on the above link to install the Edimax and drivers. Put in the Edimax adapter only when told to do so and reboot. It was after this process and a few tests that I added STATIC IP addressing on both the wired and the WiFi connection. Good luck and enjoy,

Steve

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Well done Steve on not requiring a hub, but that is not the general concensous ;)
So you are using the new wheezy beta and how much have you used your pi in X ?
I,m just wondering about the longer term reliability with the current driver and distro.
Some people have appeared to get it to work initially, grabbing a dhcp ip, etc but then it grids to a halt once gone into X and started midori.
and kicked off a google search, for example.

Cheers,

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm

texy wrote:Well done Steve on not requiring a hub, but that is not the general concensous ;)
General consensus be damned, the Edimax EW-7811-Un works for me directly in the Pi's usb port, with either an 8Gb memory stick or (externally powered) hard drive, or my logitech wireless keyboard/mouse dongle in the other one. It's been tested to the max by downloading HD programmes in get_iplayer.

But your mileage may vary as your circumstances are different. I chose this dongle because a link in the wiki said it works directly in the Pi USB port (so I'm not sure where the consensus comment comes from - at least, in regard to the 7811Un?)

I have used Mr Engman's script 3 times now on different versions (original, the first updated one, and now the wheezy beta one) and they all worked brilliantly as long as you pick the up to date one.

There's some power measurements for this wifi dongle in the power thread linked in my Signature.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

MrWibble

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 am

I got my pi 2 days ago and plugged in my tiny Ralink 5370 wifi dongle that i'd already bought. Needed to get firmware from ralink site but that went smoothly. works no problem at all - no hub required. Wasn't aware of the hub requirement for wifi dongles - so now I'm concerned that I'm missing something. why does mine work without a hub when others need hubs?

Return to “Beginners”