HeAdLeSs
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Cyprus
Contact: Website

[PreBeginnerQuestions] What Do I need for my Project?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello community.

I've decided now to learn some new things and play around with the Raspberry Pi. As I am also just playing around with solar stuff, I got the idea to make a little project :)

I have no hardware yet and here I need your help. I was reading now for several days and honestly, I am getting more and more confused. :?
My idea is to use the RPi to switch on/off 12V devices (like lamps, air-pumps, etc.) via voice recognition, timer and button (web interface via tablet?). So far my idea. But what do I need for hardware for it?

I need to (software) control several separate 12V switches (relays?) with the RPi. So I suppose I need a Raspberry Pi B+ (logical) and an extension for the relays. Plus a microphone for the voice recognition. That's it, isn't it?

I just read that the PiFace doesn't fit on the new RPi B+ anymore. But is the PiFace the right thing for me anyway? Or is an other extension card better for this 'job'?

Can someone help me with finding the right components? To make a good 'get ready bundle'.

PS: Maybe to mention, I am absolute beginner with electronic stuff. I mean electricity and hardware. Please be lenient :oops:

klricks
Posts: 6510
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: [PreBeginnerQuestions] What Do I need for my Project?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:29 pm

The RPi does not have microphone or audio input so you would need to get a sound card (dongle) of some sort.

Google [voice recognition raspberry pi] to see how many others have done VR.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

HeAdLeSs
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: [PreBeginnerQuestions] What Do I need for my Project?

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:53 pm

hi klricks.

thank you for your reply. good to know that i need also a sound card dongle.

actually i need more an advice what i need for the relays. especially for the raspberry pi b+

Arne Baeyens
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Flanders

Re: [PreBeginnerQuestions] What Do I need for my Project?

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:35 am

Hi,
A small tip: Long headers like these can free up some space to make older expansion boards for the B useful on the B+, like the PiFace or this one for example.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: [PreBeginnerQuestions] What Do I need for my Project?

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:11 am

HeAdLeSs wrote:Hello community.
Hello HeAdLeSs,
HeAdLeSs wrote:I've decided now to learn some new things and play around with the Raspberry Pi. As I am also just playing around with solar stuff, I got the idea to make a little project :)
I hope you enjoy your Pi as much as I have been enjoying mine.
HeAdLeSs wrote:I have no hardware yet and here I need your help. I was reading now for several days and honestly, I am getting more and more confused. :?
My idea is to use the RPi to switch on/off 12V devices (like lamps, air-pumps, etc.) via voice recognition, timer and button (web interface via tablet?). So far my idea. But what do I need for hardware for it?

I need to (software) control several separate 12V switches (relays?) with the RPi. So I suppose I need a Raspberry Pi B+ (logical) and an extension for the relays. Plus a microphone for the voice recognition. That's it, isn't it?
So you would need a relay output board, with enough outputs to control all of your devices.

Relay boards come in a variety of forms, I would recommend that you get either an I2C board (uses a communication bus from the Pi to send commands to a chip on the board, so you use up fewer of your Pi GPIOs) or a Opto-Isolated relay board, where each relay is activated by one GPIO signal, through an opto-isolator so there is no danger to your Pi from the relay board.
HeAdLeSs wrote:I just read that the PiFace doesn't fit on the new RPi B+ anymore. But is the PiFace the right thing for me anyway? Or is an other extension card better for this 'job'?

Can someone help me with finding the right components? To make a good 'get ready bundle'.

PS: Maybe to mention, I am absolute beginner with electronic stuff. I mean electricity and hardware. Please be lenient :oops:
unless you really want to you don't have to have your expansion boards attached directly on top of your Pi, It does save some space but it's up to you how you connect things.

I have an Adafruit screen that is designed for direct connection to a model B, its attached to my B+ by a ribbon cable and works OK. (well, the touchscreen is broken but not due to the ribbon cable, Pi-Hut sent my a pre-soldered defective unit that had clearly already been sent back to them by another customer (who wasn't any good at soldering)).

P.S. don't buy from Pi-Hut, they don't have any customer service when it comes to defective kit. (telephone lines are permanently closed and they don't answer e-mails).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “Beginners”