RDK

Powered USB Hub Issues

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 am

Folks....I recently bought a powered USB 3.0 hub from Darty in France (IT WORKS brand). When I booted up my Pi, I noticed several messages something like "USB Port 2 over powered...". Unfortunately they went by too fast to get the whole wording.

Of course that scared me a bit. So I shutdown and disconnected the hub. On reboot all seemed ok, but later (several days and several reboots later) I noticed that the Pi was now complaining that some of the file systems did not mount correctly and I should run fdsk.

When I tried to umount /boot before running the fdsk procedure, it completely corrupted my SD card and I had to restore from the last backup, which worked, but now it is complaining about my USB memory stick.

I'm running a B+ Pi with Raspbian OS.

Question 1. What is going on with my powered hub and the Pi? And what should I do about it? I eventually want to attach a external hard drive which is powered via the USB connection.

Question 2. Is/was the SD card corruption related to trying out the powered hub or just a "random act of violence"?

Thanks.....RDK

Burngate

Re: Powered USB Hub Issues

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 am

If I'm correct in my diagnosis, there's a thread on a similar problem that might be of interest. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=87297

On the B+ there's a chip that does USB power switching / current limiting, etc. It has a fault-flag output connected to the LAN/USB chip port-2 control.
So if the first chip detects any problem, then the LAN/USB chip flags it up to the SoC, and Linux interprets it as an over-current problem on port 2

The SD card corruption problem is likely to be unrelated

RDK

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the reference. I've read through that thread and basically it does not seem to apply to my issue. In my case the Pi's USB ports are all working.

I have a 16GB USB memory stick, a USB keyboard and a USB wireless mouse. All are working fine.

And, since I fdisk-ed the USB stick via my PC, it is no longer giving a "dirty bit" warning during the Pi's boot-up.

Thanks again....RDK

RDK

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:03 am

Folks...Having pondered my issue with my powered USB hub and my B+ Pi, I'm wondering if:
  • 1. Are there issues with USB 3 devices and the Pi?
    2. Are there issues with USB 3 hubs and the Pi, or more importantly for me, the B+ Pi?
    3. Is there a list of known good powered USB hubs
Thanks....RDK

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 am

Your Raspberry Pi has NO SUPPORT for USB 3.0 unless things are running in USB 2.0 compatibility mode.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RDK

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:45 am

Folks.....I bought a D-Link USB 2 powered hub and it seems to be ok with my B+ Pi, ie no messages during boot up. I will now add another USB memory stick. If there are no follow-up messages on this thread then you can assume it is all working fine,,,,,RDK

Return to “Beginners”