kannupandiyan

Re: RCA with B+ (solved)

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi friends, i am beginner in raspberry pi platform .., just i want to share my experience how i solved the RCA connector problem in B+
Step 1: Purchased a low cost stereo to RCA connector ( 100 Rs. or < 2 dollar's )
Step 2: Cut the stereo end and arrange the wire according to above predefined output for RCA connector
Step 3: solder it and check the connectivity

Note: Don't go for NOOBS , try any other OS

If u not able to remove the stereo jack buy a new and solder it , very very cheap !!!

For 100 % working , No problem at all. I think this may helpful to some one.
Thank you !!!
Attachments
IMG_20141224_003435.jpg
IMG_20141224_003435.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 2877 times

ujuj

Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:46 pm

hi
tell them that this is only useful if ground is not at good place ; because if it is, it's really easier to switch colors when plug in. (and u can 'ear' the two audio cables when plugin and unplugin on your tv ; the third make no noise ...)

another problem u can have is that the BOX of your PI B+ dont let u plug the 3,5 jack analogic 4pole as it should be (without box) ; if so , u will ear sounds, but the screen of your tv will be desperately black, even changing red/yellow/white 100 times ; so u might try with no box, or forcing the jack a lil ... in case of BLACK SCREEN

os7een

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi all,
Sorry for re-opening this solved thread, but this makes more sense than opening a new one with the exact same problem.

Anyway,
I have a Raspberry Pi B+ model, and recently I have purchased a 4 pole - 3.5mm audio/video cable ( hopefully I'm saying it right ) so I can connect my pi to an old PAL TV I have, but as you can probably guess, when I connect the pi with the cable to the TV, all I get is a weird flickering picture.

As suggested by googling around and searching on this forum, I have tried to switch the RCA end ( eg. yellow and red ), but nothing happens.

I also tried to add to my config.txt sdtv_mode=2 and sdtv_aspect=4:3 options but that doesn't do the trick also.
The behaviour is the same on my old Raspbian install, and on the newly fresh install of Raspbmc.

Thanks in advance,
os7een

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:15 pm

if you get a wiggling picture it means signal & ground are reversed.

With the TRRS plug the video signal is on the sleeve, the gnd is on the second ring.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

os7een

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi,
I have purchased this one.

How can I check if the order is correct, and if it's not, what can I do to fix it or to bypass it somehow.

Thanks a lot,
os7een

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm

os7een wrote:Hi,

How can I check if the order is correct, and if it's not, what can I do to fix it or to bypass it somehow.

Thanks a lot,
os7een
This page has details of how to check the order is correct

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... video-jack
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 pm

os7een wrote:Hi,
You're down by a couple of bucks. That's an exact match for the MP3 player's lead on the diagram I posted.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

canibalimao

Re: RCA with B+

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424

May be better to use a 4 pole adaptor then a 3 into 1cable !

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p577977
Do you confirm that this works? I'm looking for a cable for my RPi 2.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm

canibalimao wrote:

This one has been recommended by various posters

http://www.dx.com/p/specified-av-cable- ... PgpNihFCAh
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

canibalimao

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:28 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
canibalimao wrote:

This one has been recommended by various posters

http://www.dx.com/p/specified-av-cable- ... PgpNihFCAh
It's a bit pricey, but thank you!

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:10 pm

canibalimao wrote:It's a bit pricey, but thank you!
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Technology ... B00HND2FW8

Though you may find left and right sound is switched round on this one, as stated here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83446
adieu

sashi.mamidanna

Thu May 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi,

I'm new to RPi and am struck at connecting my pi to a standard TV using RCA which i got from the RPi B+ model starter pack. My Pi boots with Raspbian but my TV doesn't display anything. I don't have any device which has HDMI and have tried with all different RCA cables but i wasnt lucky and the TV doesn't show any better image than the below.

Help?!!!!
Attachments
IMG_20150528_165505 (Small).jpg
IMG_20150528_165505 (Small).jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

Burngate

Thu May 28, 2015 5:19 pm

First port of call: Common Pitfalls for Beginners, No. 13
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372
There's a nice picture towards the bottom, similar to yours.

So try yet another 3.5mm to RCA lead, with the correct wiring

sashi.mamidanna

Sat May 30, 2015 11:23 am

Hello,

Looks like i have tried 2 different RCA cables in all combinations (swapping Red and Yellow pins) but still the display isn't at least readable. I have used a RCA got for my Sony Camcoder and another cable which i bought to test its working.

I also have tried changing the config setting and pressing 1,2,3,4 on my keyboard but didnt work, Is there an issue with the Pi port?

Thanks!!

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2015 11:27 am

sashi.mamidanna wrote:Hello,

Looks like i have tried 2 different RCA cables in all possibilities but still the display isn't at least readable. I have used a RCA got for my Sony Camcoder and another cable which i bought to test its working.

I also have tried changing the config setting but didnt work, Is there an issue with the Pi port?

Thanks!!
Did you actually bother to read the links to the relevant cable information, blindly trying any cable is totally pointless.

You need a MultiMeter as stated in the following blog:

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... video-jack
adieu

The Merry Yeoman

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I have a 4 pin to AV L&R and an HDMI/AV adapter cord and neither one will display for me. All I can view on (via hdmi) is a projector screen (120inch [impractical]). Please help.

drgeoff

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:47 pm

The Merry Yeoman wrote:I have a 4 pin to AV L&R and an HDMI/AV adapter cord and neither one will display for me. All I can view on (via hdmi) is a projector screen (120inch [impractical]). Please help.
1. Have you got the right type of AV cable?

2. What "HDMI/AV adapter cord" are you using?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:53 pm

The Merry Yeoman wrote:I have a 4 pin to AV L&R and an HDMI/AV adapter cord and neither one will display for me. All I can view on (via hdmi) is a projector screen (120inch [impractical]). Please help.
Start by reading this whole post, it has all the answers!

In short, you need a correct 4-pin to 3x RCA cable.
With "correct" being that at least you need one that has the common ground wire wired to the first ring from the sleeve, NOT wired to the sleeve itself. Without that you will never get a picture nor sound.

The Merry Yeoman

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm

drgeoff wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your questions so please excuse me... however I have a cord that has hdmi male on one end to plug into my pi and on the other end it has video (yellow) and left and right audio (red and white) rca male plugs on the other end. I ordered above described cord when my 4 pin to 3x rca wouldn't work.
Tell me how could a cord designed to go from hdmi to rca not do so?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 pm

The Merry Yeoman wrote:
drgeoff wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your questions so please excuse me... however I have a cord that has hdmi male on one end to plug into my pi and on the other end it has video (yellow) and left and right audio (red and white) rca male plugs on the other end. I ordered above described cord when my 4 pin to 3x rca wouldn't work.
That cable will not work, HDMi is Digital and Composite is Analog.

You need a cable like this http://www.dx.com/p/specified-av-cable- ... PgpNihFCAh
adieu

drgeoff

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

The Merry Yeoman wrote:
drgeoff wrote:

You need electronics to convert from the digital HDMI signal to analogue AV.

There are some devices which can (mis)use an HDMI out[ut socket in a non-standard way by replacing the digital signals with analogue ones. Then a cable that has only wires can be connected to an analogue AV input. RPis do not do that.

Put 261851128230 into the search box on ebay.co.uk to see an example of that type of cable which will never work with a RPi. Scroll to the bottom of the listing and you will see that vendor does try to warn potential purchasers.

The Merry Yeoman

Re: RCA with B+ and 2B (solved)

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Composite means the rca portion? (I'm new to this)... I have a cord like the one pictured that also does not work.
plus my question still stands: why is there an hdmi to rca adapter if it doesn't work? (i'm lost)
http://www.lightinthebox.com/hdmi-v1-3- ... aQodrGEAuQ

kusti8

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Yes, composite is RCA. The reason that doesn't work is because composite is analog, as in sine waves while HDMI is digital which is 1s and 0s. That cable, all it does is change the look at the other end, but the signal going to your analog TV is still digital, so it won't work. What you need is a cable detailed in the pictoral guide: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83446
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

drgeoff

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:33 pm

The Merry Yeoman wrote: plus my question still stands: why is there an hdmi to rca adapter if it doesn't work? (i'm lost)
http://www.lightinthebox.com/hdmi-v1-3- ... aQodrGEAuQ
I have already answered that above. See the ebay listing I pointed you to if you want to see a fuller confirmation from a seller of that type of cable.

Return to “Beginners”