aidantulloch

RCA with B+ and 2B (solved)

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Hello,

I recently received a B+ model, and am nearly ready to boot for the first time. All I need to know now is how to connect it to my TV. There is no HDMI socket but there are those three AV holes: yellow for video 3, white for mono or left sound and red for right sound. What adapters/cables should I get to use the new headphone/av port on the B+ to display on my TV? Links would be helpful.

Thanks

Gert van Loo

Re: RCA with B+

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 pm

From what you describe you DO not have a B+.
The B+ DOES have HDMI and it does NOT have RCA.
No yellow, no red and no white.

BMS Doug

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:From what you describe you DO not have a B+.
The B+ DOES have HDMI and it does NOT have RCA.
No yellow, no red and no white.
I think he was referring to his TV connections.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

BMS Doug

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Google search term: 4 pole 3.5mm Jack to RCA composite.

there are plenty of responses, pick one close to you. expect to pay about £2.00

Zune 4 pole jack to RCA follow the same pattern. or get an Ipod to RCA and swap the left and right connections.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 pm

BMS Doug wrote:Google search term: 4 pole 3.5mm Jack to RCA composite.

there are plenty of responses, pick one close to you. expect to pay about £2.00

You need to get the correct cable as there is no single unique way to put 4 wires on four contacts and there are at least 4 variations available. Wiring diagram has already been posted in these forums. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 77#p577977

(Goodness knows why Apple decided to swap L and R audio on some of their products. Everybody has used tip=L and next ring=R for years.)

aidantulloch

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm

So to confirm...

I have a cable- I think it was built for a camcorder, but I'm not sure: it has a single, black, 3.5mm jack at one end, which is a merger of 3 other individual cables: red, white, and yellow. It is practically identical to this, but isn't from the same manufacturer: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 0256248853

Can I push the black end in the pi and the others in my TV?

I apologise for my ignorance, but you have all been brilliant!

hansotten

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Looks good, but to be sure I would advise to look at the wiring diagram (see previous post) and measure this cable to see it is a match.
Any simple multimeter will do.

With some luck it is perfect, but do not be surprised to see video yellow actually being audio R or L. It is also possible ground and video are wrongly connected.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 pm

If it uses the same wiring as the "Camcorder cable" in the table I linked to, then yes but you'll need to use the red plug for video and the yellow one for right audio.

If the cable is wired incorrectly you won't damage your RPi or TV but turn the TV volume well down BEFORE powering up the RPi.

DirkS

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Apparently there are several different cables. See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p577977)
The item on Amazon claims to be a 'camcorder cable'. Looking at the table in the link above it could actually be usable but you may have to mix up the colours a bit.
Personally I would like to know exactly what' signals to expect on each plug before plugging it in. You could use a multimeter to check that.

Gr.
Dirk

MrEngman

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Might be useful if the B+ designers told us what cables can be used, or is there a list anywhere. I do suppose they've tried using RCA.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424

May be better to use a 4 pole adaptor then a 3 into 1cable !

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p577977
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Many "Camcorder cables" are not wired correctly as such, (that is, not the same as an Ipod or Zune cable) but at least they have GND connected to the first ring, counted from the "sleeve" (= second ring counted from the "Tip"), which means that it can still be used simply by plugging the RCA connectors in the TV in the order corresponding to which signal comes out at which plug, normally video comes out of the yellow plug, but with switched wiring this will be one of the other plugs, as long as GND is connected correctly.

For most camcoder cables, this means that the RED, not the YELLOW connector carries the video signal, and you have to plug it into the yellow input on the TV, the other two remaining plugs then simply can be plugged into the left-over white and red inputs.

so plug white RCA plug into white RCA of TV, but swap the red and the yellow connectors.

"wrong" cables (there are 24 ways to wire them up!) can still be safely plugged into a PI, and tried, and stereo plugs can be plugged in and should work as normal (that is only if HDMI audio is switched to analog audio, as before with the model B)

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 pm

MrEngman wrote:Might be useful if the B+ designers told us what cables can be used, or is there a list anywhere. I do suppose they've tried using RCA.

MrEngman
Yes it does work. This thread already contains two links to the info on the wiring of the RPi's analogue AV output jack.

aidantulloch

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Last question hopefully.....

Thanks everybody so far. Since it will be the first time I boot my RPi out of the box, will it matter if I have a colour in the wrong TV socket or will I miss something important and not be able to power down and try again? :?: :?:

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm

aidantulloch wrote:Last question hopefully.....

Thanks everybody so far. Since it will be the first time I boot my RPi out of the box, will it matter if I have a colour in the wrong TV socket or will I miss something important and not be able to power down and try again? :?: :?:
Composite Video should be Yellow
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:06 pm

All cables with GND in the correct place will work but the signals may not be on the expected colour plug.

All cables with GND not in the correct place will not work properly or at all no matter how much you try swapping plugs.

If you get inverted video, usually recognisable as a vertical (probably unstable) white bar about 1/10 screen width, then the cable has ground in the wrong place on the 4 pole plug.
Last edited by drgeoff on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Composite Video should be Yellow
"Should" != "will be".

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 pm

aidantulloch wrote:Last question hopefully.....
If you intend to use NOOBS (1.3.9), composite video can be somewhat tricky, FWIW, the brief notes (para. #4) linked to below (and the link therein to using composite video with an older version of NOOBS and A or B2 Pi's) maybe of some help.
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... RasPi.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:15 pm

The "Pictorial buying guide" for the rapberry PI (sticky topic) has been updated, and also contains info for the B+ A/V cable, and gives at least one example of a "know good" (but also a camcoder type) cable.

Its early times yet, and I'm guessing that before long the ebay sellers will have caught up, and will start advertising compatible cables as "Raspberry PI model B+ compatible A/V cables"!

or perhaps "Raspberry PI model B+ compatible A/V cables, when red and yellow plugs are swapped" meaning they are selling an old lot of camcorder cables. :D

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

drgeoff wrote:
"Should" != "will be".
Yes, yellow means video, white means left audio and red means right audio, but an incorrectly wired cable might wire the video signal (and at least one other signal) to the wrong connector.
Even compatible (read iPod and zune) cables might do that in the sense that they might switch the left and right audio channels, but that is not a big deal, and can be easily corrected.

a 100% "made for raspberry PI" A/V cable should use the following wiring scheme, read from tip to sleeve of the 4-position plug:
  • Tip, Left audio to White RCA plug tip
  • 1st Ring, Right audio to Red RCA plug tip
  • 2nd Ring, GND signal to all RCA outer shields
  • Sleeve, Video signal to yellow RCA plug tip

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 pm

mahjongg wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
"Should" != "will be".
Yes, yellow means video, white means left audio and red means right audio, but an incorrectly wired cable might wire the video signal (and at least one other signal) to the wrong connector.
Even compatible (read iPod and zune) cables might do that in the sense that they might switch the left and right audio channels, but that is not a big deal, and can be easily corrected.

a 100% "made for raspberry PI" A/V cable should use the following wiring scheme, read from tip to sleeve of the 4-position plug:
  • Tip, Left audio to White RCA plug tip
  • 1st Ring, Right audio to Red RCA plug tip
  • 2nd Ring, GND signal to all RCA outer shields
  • Sleeve, Video signal to yellow RCA plug tip
You mean this link I posted earlier ?? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 75#p577977
adieu

drgeoff

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: You mean this link I posted earlier ...
Yes the one you posted after it had already been posted twice in this thread.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

drgeoff wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: You mean this link I posted earlier ...
Yes the one you posted after it had already been posted twice in this thread.
Regurgitation rules :D :D :D
adieu

aidantulloch

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Case marked: solved!

My pi booted successfully today, but I warn any fellow noobs experiencing the same issues as I was before this expert help, that you MUST remember to press 3 on your USB keyboard when it is all plugged in and switched on. I was ready to dive back into the forum, before reading somewhere that you have to tell the pi which output to use by pressing 3, and, sure enough, the TV went from EXT-3, blank screen, to big, juicy, raspberry!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:47 pm

aidantulloch wrote:Case marked: solved!

My pi booted successfully today, but I warn any fellow noobs experiencing the same issues as I was before this expert help, that you MUST remember to press 3 on your USB keyboard when it is all plugged in and switched on. I was ready to dive back into the forum, before reading somewhere that you have to tell the pi which output to use by pressing 3, and, sure enough, the TV went from EXT-3, blank screen, to big, juicy, raspberry!
So, it behaves exactly like a B does then. :geek:

Return to “Beginners”