billymcbrie

NOOB SD Card Questions

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi. I bought the 8gb NOOB SD card with it all preinstalled, but when I put it in my laptop, it says it is just 1.2 Gb. have I been sold a lemon?

Also, I'm looking for the config.txt file so I can change some commands and get my VGA monitor to work, but can't find the file (Recommended here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R396ASQCRH ... r_rdp_perm And here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zyTpj-s2E )

Non-jargon answers appreciated. I a noob in the strictest sense of the word.

Ta.

AndrewS

Re: NOOB SD Card Questions

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 pm

billymcbrie wrote:Hi. I bought the 8gb NOOB SD card with it all preinstalled, but when I put it in my laptop, it says it is just 1.2 Gb. have I been sold a lemon?
That's totally normal. NOOBS splits the SD card into multiple partitions, but Windows is only able to recognise the first partition on the card. Linux is able to fully recognise all the partitions.
Also, I'm looking for the config.txt file so I can change some commands and get my VGA monitor to work, but can't find the file
You need to use the config.txt editor that's built right into NOOBS itself :) https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs#ea ... ile-editor
(but note that you can't edit the config.txt for an OS until after it has been installed)

billymcbrie

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Great thanks. So...how can I boot Noobs if I can't get my Monitor working? I think I'm in catch 22 land...

AndrewS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Have you already tried pressing the 1, 2, 3 or 4 keys on your keyboard to switch display modes?
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs#about

redhawk

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 pm

So...how can I boot Noobs if I can't get my Monitor working?
Is this a composite monitor??

Richard S.

johndough

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi

You say VGA, is that a 15 pin or a flat pin DVI?
HDMI2DVi.PNG
HDMI2DVi.PNG (57.37 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
either way I use a cable from the pound shop (HDMI) and buy the appropriate adapter from CPC Farnell

RPI HDMI/DVI ADAPTOR (AV16125) - ADAPTOR HDMI TO DVI-D PLUG
PRO SIGNAL - PSG91087 - DONGLE, HDMI-VGA, PRO-SIGNAL

then I can connect to a TV HDMI or almost any PC monitor going.
Attachments
hdmi2vga.PNG
hdmi2vga.PNG (60.95 KiB) Viewed 1665 times

billymcbrie

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi - Thanks for the tips. It's a 15 pin VGA but i have no idea if it is composite. How would I tell? I'll try the 1,2,3,4 trick to see if that works.
B #:¬)

AndrewS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Composite video is the yellow RCA (phono) connector on the Pi - nothing to do with VGA ;)

billymcbrie

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks AndrewS - in which case, no it is not. I've tried the 1234 and no joy. Also plugged it into my composite CRT TV and still nothing. The Flatscreen VGA monitor has a message: MODE NOT SUPPORTED H:45.0khz V:60.0HZ . Can't get anything going and thinking of giving up. Clearly when the RPi designers said anyone can learn on a Pi they meant anyone with a longer history of computing than me :¬(

AndrewS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Did you also try the "1 2 3 4 trick" with your CRT TV? I can't see any reason for the composite video output of NOOBS to ever not work :? (assuming your TV isn't broken!)
Don't forget to leave it for a few seconds between each key-press to give it time to switch modes.

IMHO I don't think the Pi was originally designed to work with HDMI->VGA adaptors, so you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work perfectly with every single adaptor that's ever been made ;)
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... y_adapters

drgeoff

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm

The OP has never stated that he has a HDMI to VGA adaptor/converter. Exactly how he is connecting his RPi to the 15 pin D-sub connector on his VGA monitor remains a mystery to me. :)

Also he clearly won't achieve a longer history in computing if he gives up so soon! :lol:

billymcbrie

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah, I tried it on the CRT too. Blank screen. Maybe I got a dud.

Anyone have the same issues? I really don't want to have to buy a new monitor. I don't have the cash for one thing :!:

billymcbrie

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm

drgeoff - I bought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261375966286? ... 1439.l2649

Hope that clears it up. What's an OP? :?:

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 pm

If you are absolutely scuppered look for an old TV with a scart lead socket then get one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/35100479 ... 0&ff14=108
You don't need this particular model this was just the first one I found on ebay :-) You will notice these are not expensive.

Plug a phono lead between the yellow rca connector on the RPi to the Yellow on the scart converter put your TV on Scart (might be VCR it the TV is really old) don't expect realy sharp firstime you try.

You will need to experiment with the config settings.

But this should work for any TV that has a scart socket. ;) This includes CRT TV's
Last edited by Jim JKla on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

drgeoff

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I have no personal experience of HDMI to VGA converters but people here seem to have mixed success with the ones that do not need an external power supply. Some of them do cause physical damage to the RPi.

Dud new RPis are rare. They do exist but the chances that you received one from a bona fide supplier are small.

OP is internet abbreviation for "original poster", ie the person who started a topic/thread.

drgeoff

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 pm

3 x Phono to SCART adaptors come in 3 versions.

1. For putting signals into a SCART socket
2. For getting signals out from a SCART socket
3. With a switch to do either of the above.

Ensure that you do not get the 2nd type.

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Or failing that make sure you either get the first or third type ;-)

The kind with the leads attached work just as well provided the plug on the end is the right gender

And the ones with an in-out switch obviously you need it set to "in"

but set to "out" won't break stuff it just won't work till it's on the "in" setting. ;-)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm

for any kind of boot problems, most often reading the sticky will give the solution.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=58743

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm

You are dead right but noobs that read the sticky don't ask noob questions becuse they have read the sticky.

They only thing they (the questioning noob) know is the question they want answered.

To that end our best policy is to catch those questions answer them and then let our reassured Noob know about the sticky and the wiki and hope that in getting past that first question they grow away form Noobishness towards Uber Geek so that in time they can field answers to questions thrown out by our next generation of Noobs. ;)

Return to “Beginners”