Starkeeper1a2b

Re: JBtek 3.5 inch TFT LCD

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 am

My PCB Says MZL350I-PI-EXT 2014.4.28 on the backside. I have tried several of the solutions posted on this thread and a couple of others from doing internet searches. only thing i could get to happen is the backlight to come on and the cpu load to skyrocket

might be trying to return this one

max-bit

Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:22 pm

I stepped out of a claim to PayPal, the seller manages stupid

Jakeyboy

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 pm

Anyone have any luck getting these working with fbtft?

WookieeFart

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:40 pm

jbchow wrote:Received my display today. Here are some notes hopefully this helps someone. I was unable to extract RAR archive on the pi. 7zip did not support rar format. So I extracted the mzl350i-pi-ext.rar file on my desktop and I copied the mzl350i-pi-ext to the SD card then booted the Pi. (Note: mzl350i-pi-ext should have a src folder and the lcd file inside it, you do not want to have the folders nested ie "mzl350i-pi-ext/mzl350i-pi-ext") One booted opened nano and edited the config. use command "nano /boot/config.txt" find the two lines "#framebuffer_width=1280" and "#framebuffer_height=720" change "#framebuffer_width=1280" to "framebuffer_width=960" and "#framebuffer_height=720" to "framebuffer_height=640" (Note removing sharps and changing numbers) Then I copied the mzl350i-pi-ext to the /home/pi/ directory here is the command you should use "sudo cp -rf /boot/mzl350i-pi-ext /home/pi/" You should now compile the driver on the pi. If you do not have build-essential yet you should run commands "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get install build-essential" once that completes change directory to the /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/src directory with command "cd /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/src" and run the command "make" once that command completes you will need to copy the /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/lcd file to the /etc/init.d/ folder using command "sudo cp /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/lcd /etc/init.d/" once you do that you will have to change permissions on the file to allow it to be executed. This can be done with this command. "sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/lcd" once you do that you can run the command to register the lcd startup sequence. That command is "sudo update-rc.d lcd defaults" then type "reboot" and hit enter your ie will reboot and the LCD will turn on :-D
List of commands used in order:
nano /boot/config.txt

Then change
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720
to
framebuffer_width=960
framebuffer_height=640
(Then Press Ctrl + X to exit, Then Y to save and then hit enter to overwrite file with changes)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
cd /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/src
make
sudo cp /home/pi/mzl350i-pi-ext/lcd /etc/init.d/
sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/lcd
sudo update-rc.d lcd defaults
reboot

Now to make the touch screen work....

This was hugely helpful... things are actually happening now. Maybe someone else can get me there. Now if I boot up and have no other monitor connected it boots up to a blue screen on the JBTek screen. If I put an HDMI connection in... the device boots and I have actual images on the JBTek... but it looks to be in the same resolution as my screen. which I may expect... however, I can't get the device to boot directly to the JBTek screen. Anyone else have this issue?

Mahalo!

WookieeFart

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:27 am

My bad... I got it working... I fat fingered the framebuffer area. :oops: Has anyone got the touchscreen part working yet?

Kip

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:11 am

Hey,

I got the screen to work by following the user manual however, like the rest of you, the touch component is still missing a driver. The user manual referred to a touch panel driver:
\linux-rpi-3.6.y\drivers\input\touchscreen\ads7846.c

which i think i found on GitHub:
https://github.com/Asure/Dropad-kernel- ... /ads7846.c

Could someone with more Linux experience please suggest how to install it?
Do I just replace the whole kernel image?

Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Kip

neo19880715

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 am

max-bit wrote:HI
I bought at the auction Disp LCD:
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/301239157191?ssP ... 1497.l2649
Unfortunately does not work, the seller has no idea why ...
The manual is wrong?
Has anyone met with this display?
Can someone did run the display?
I tested at RPI 512 MB ​​model B (no B +)
The latest version of Debian Wheezy Raspbian.
Definitely need to turn ON in this distribution, the SPI interface (in the original instructions do not write about it) because this connector, (the default is off)
Yes,I bought a 2.4 inch screen from that ebay seller,they can't help anymore.I will not buy any raspberry pi products from that ebay seller, topnbest!!!!!!!!!!!

Kip

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 am

neo19880715 wrote:
max-bit wrote:HI
I bought at the auction Disp LCD:
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/301239157191?ssP ... 1497.l2649
Unfortunately does not work, the seller has no idea why ...
The manual is wrong?
Has anyone met with this display?
Can someone did run the display?
I tested at RPI 512 MB ​​model B (no B +)
The latest version of Debian Wheezy Raspbian.
Definitely need to turn ON in this distribution, the SPI interface (in the original instructions do not write about it) because this connector, (the default is off)
Yes,I bought a 2.4 inch screen from that ebay seller,they can't help anymore.I will not buy any raspberry pi products from that ebay seller, topnbest!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey,

I've only got the screen working on that exact one (not the touch part). Make sure the config.txt file looks like the one in the ebay description not the manual.

KC

Alreania

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:13 pm

I got a response from a vendor who has the same product as JBtek. Here is what they said to me.

Greetings,
>
> Our engineer gives the answer to your questions below:
>
> 1. This Tontec display module is built with a high speed CPLD chip (EPM3032),a SPI interfaced 4-wire resistive touch screen control chip “XPT2046” (compatible with TSC2046, ADS7846),and an I2C interfaced EEPROM memory storage unit (AT24C02).
> Touch panel driver reference:
> \linux-rpi-3.6.y\drivers\input\touchscreen\ads7846.c
>
> 2. the screen is fast-response screen, it is normal when it indicates 100% CPU usage, if you lower the CPU usage by lowing down the refresh rate of the screen, there will be a delay
>
> 3. please download the shutdown and reboot commands here:
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/ttbox/shutdowncmd.zip
>
>
> use "sudo st-pi" to shutdown, use "sudo rb-pi" to reboot
>
> 4. You can not overlock too much when using the screen, 900-950 mhz is the maximum clock rate
>
> I hope it can help you solve the problem.If any other questions,please feel free to contact me.

Someone might be able to figure out how this works. \linux-rpi-3.6.y\drivers\input\touchscreen\ads7846.c ((the page is listed here https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... /ads7846.c ))

And I am not sure what to do with the st-pi and rb-pi files ( https://s3.amazonaws.com/ttbox/shutdowncmd.zip ).

If someone has any idea how to get this all to work would be wonderful for others who are having this problem.

Alreania

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Just got my last reply from the vendor.

1. Touch panel driver reference:
> \linux-rpi-3.6.y\drivers\input\touchscreen\ads7846.c
>
> 2. You may put the "st-pi" and "rb-pi" to any folder you want. just remember set them executable by "sudo chmod 777 st-pi"
> to get the touch panel work, you have to recompile your kernel your self which we are not able to help.
>
> If you have any other question please feel free to contact us.

If anyone knows how to compile the drivers for the touch screen that would be most welcoming and would help others out. All the research I am able to do right now since quite a bit of this is over my head and hope someone is able to help out.

DocSnivy

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 pm

I've followed the instructions to the letter. I've gotten start-up processes, display on the screen, (I bought the "Tontec" version), but a complete and utter halt in boot at the OpenBSD, and I can't properly shut down the pi at this point. I've restarted each time, completely reinstalling raspbian and the screen and keep ending up with the same end result. I'm both at a loss and exhausted from trying...

Alreania

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:31 pm

The Tontec screen will only boot into startx if everything is done correctly (not from the instructions you receieved but those listed above from jbchow do work for startup). Shutting down the pi normally will not work as the screen will distort and you have to just pull the plug.

I did contact Tontec and got a reply above. You have to download a new shutdown and reboot command (have not yet figured out how to properly get that working.

And I did list drivers above for the touchscreen but do not know how to compile them and was hoping someone could figure that out as Tontec said we have to do that ourselves.

jbchow

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm

The two files in the shutdown zip file are binaries. Just put them in a sbin or bin folder. I typically use /usr/sbin for things like this.
once you put them there you need to mark them executables with chmod 755.
Commands:
Pre Step: Copy rb-pi and st-pi to the sd card
sudo cp /boot/rb-pi /usr/sbin
sudo cp /boot/st-pi /usr/sbin
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/rb-pi
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/st-pi

What I actually did. I used filezilla to copy the two binaries directly to the /usr/sbin folder on the pi.
Filezilla supports sftp which is a file transfer protocol over ssh. I find it pretty useful for this type of thing.
Then I ran the follwing commands in an SSH terminal to the Pi
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/rb-pi
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/st-pi

Done :-D

If you want to reboot type sudo rb-pi
if you want to shutdown type st-pi

Tested both they work great :-)

Bonus step I recommend. Since I have been using ubuntu for years its a force of habit to type reboot. I would relink the reboot command to rb-pi. To do this run the following commands.
Commands:
sudo mv /sbin/reboot /sbin/rebootold
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/rb-pi /sbin/reboot

This way if you want to reboot just type sudo reboot

Alreania

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Thank you so much jbchow. That is very helpful.

By any chance are you able to figure how to compile this for the touchscreen? \linux-rpi-3.6.y\drivers\input\touchscreen\ads7846.c ((the page is listed here https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... /ads7846.c ))

jbchow

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:49 pm

I am looking into it. The Pi keep on freezing (Not a surprise... If the SPI bus is using 100% of the CPU to render the display that is a bit useless... IMO) I started to build the environment to cross-compile the kernel. Will post an update if I get it working...

Alreania

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Thank you so much again. I just felt so stuck on what to do. I did a google search of what I possible could think of. You are a life saver. I know their are others who are looking for a solution as well.

I did notice that the CPU usage goes to 100% and it only works in startx. If if boots straight up (or even into retropie), nothing ever happens, and I noticed that Minecraft screen is blank. So I figure it may not be possible to use this outside of startx or even use it for some games.

Please let me know if you do figure something our or need me to test it on my end.

jbchow

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 am

I compiled the driver into the kernel and had the module loaded but the touch screen still didnt work. Something is still wrong. Will try to get back to this some time this week. I found a image from a similar board I think I can convert to work for this board. If someone else has time sooner I am using the image on this site. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 45&t=64993
My hope is that since notro compiled the driver into the kernel it will be more efficient but I wont know till I have it up and running. (currently no display with new image from notro which is to be expected because he configured it for a different board)

Alreania

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:40 am

Thank you for putting in the time and effort into getting the touchscreen to work. I have not seen anyone else try to attempt what you are doing for this board. The board may have drivers that are not really made to work correctly with the raspberry pi. I have not heard of other boards having this much difficulty in getting up and running or the cpu running at 100% all the time.

Again thank you for your time and effort. The touchscreen maybe incompatible or the drivers not really written correctly. I did expect to have some problems and doing research to get the board up and running, but it does seem like even the company is almost unsure itself on how to properly getting it up and running.

AndyD

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 am

Alreania wrote:...I have not heard of other boards having this much difficulty in getting up and running or the cpu running at 100% all the time...
Unfortunately, there are a number of TFT LCDs that have similar issues with 100% CPU use. Including the Tontec 2.4 inch TFT. The best way to drive these LCDs is using the fbtft driver by Notro. I am not sure that any of the existing drivers in fbtft will work for the JBtek 3.5 TFT LCD.

jrue000

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:49 pm

The 480x320 looks way better than the 960x640. But for some reason, it's disabled by default.
If you edit the mzl350i.c file before compiling, and go all the way down to the very bottom, it appears they commented out the function call for the lower resolution.

Code: Select all

//loadFrameBuffer_diff_480320();
 loadFrameBuffer_diff_960640();
Instead, uncomment the 480320 by removing the two backslashes, and then comment out the 960643 function. These appear on line numbers 582 and 583 for me. It should look like this:

Code: Select all

loadFrameBuffer_diff_480320();
 //loadFrameBuffer_diff_960640();
Then, recompile with make, and follow the previous instructions for including it as a startup item. Remember to switch your config.txt to the lower resolution too!
It's a lower resolution, but it's easier to read text and see things.

5145H3R

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Has anyone tried to watch a video on it?

Curtisf

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 am

Has anyone had any luck getting the touch screen to work? I have the display working but not the touch. Thanks!

RRARR

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 am

I wonder if having a driver in this tree: https://github.com/notro/fbtft .. would be a better / easier setup?
It's weird to think that Tontec & JBtek are selling a product without actually having tried to make it fully work...

In the meantime, I'm not quite sure how to try and compile ad7846.c, my dist-upgrade(d) Raspbian doesn't seem to have the matching headers for my kernel... I'll have to try again tomorrow.

boris_G

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:44 am

Hi all,

Got one of these screens, followed the instructions - it works, no need for touch, need for it to boot to console for ncurses, not X... and startup stalls at starting syslogd. I am able to input characters from my barcode scanner (as I am not sure where my roll up USB KB is) so it has not actually crashed, just stalled. I am unable to log in over SSH (which is how I configured it before reboot and bringing up the screen).

Any pointers most welcome!

Boris.

techsweeney

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:12 pm

everytime i try to load the drivers on ultimate raspbian. when it reboots. it go the the splashscreen then goes black. any ideas on how to fix it :cry:

Return to “Beginners”