DRFoltz

How do I use a bigger sd card for the Raspberry Pi?

Sun May 18, 2014 2:27 pm

I've gone through a few sd cards since getting the Pi. The only two I have gotten to work right out the gate are 4gb Class 2 Sandisk SD cards. I've tried a 16gb Class 4 Sandisk card that a buddy set up for me on a Puppy Linux OS netbook which only worked for a day. He doesn't recall what he did and has since traded the netbook for a HP Pavillion g6. I also tried two Kingston 16gb Class 4 cards with no success. Later I tried a Kingston 8gb Class 4 MicroSD to the same effect. After a while I just settled for what I had that worked.

Last week I went to my local Radioshack and picked up a Sandisk Ultra 16gb Class 10 card hoping it would work as I've seen a lot of pictures and videos from different people using the same type of card. I installed Raspbian to see if it would work but no such luck. I returned the card a few minutes later out of frustration. I've mainly been using my Pi as a media center with Raspbmc but now that it has rolled over to Gotham it's quite buggy. So my SD card issue limits me from doing other things with the Pi (I want to make a Retro Pie card). I found this article though: http://hardenedgentoo.blogspot.com/2012 ... cards.html and was wondering if this is why I've had problems using cards larger than 4gb.

If this is the case though changing the kernels should let me boot from a bigger card, correct? If so could someone explain this to me better and possibly tell me how to access the /lib file on the second partition? I can't easily access it from Windows unless there's some magic way to access the second partition from Windows that is unbeknownst to me to update the /modules folder from the firmware repository as I'm sure I won't be able to get the image to work without editing those files first.
And if anyone from the foundation is listening you might wanna cover this somewhere to relieve others suffering from the same problem as I just now stumbled onto this solution after a few months of putzing about blindly with little to go off of.

Currently using the following when setting up images, all running on HP Pavillion g7 Windows 8:
SDFormatter
Win32DiskImager
(Magic Partition Wizard for USB boot)

Richard-TX

Re: How do I use a bigger sd card for the Raspberry Pi?

Sun May 18, 2014 2:35 pm

I use all manner of cards from 4 to 32 gig. I have not had a problem with any of them. What I do is to write a fresh image of Raspbian to the card and boot.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm

What process do you use to get the image on the card? What system (OS) are you setting them up on? As I've said I've tried setting up larger cards with Win32DiskImager but I can never seem to get anything larger than 4gb to successfully boot.

suicidal_orange

Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

I've used 4, 8 and 32gb cards flashed from Linux (Dell mini 9 running Lubuntu or homebuilt desktop running Fedora) and never had an issue. The command I use is

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/to/raspbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
If it's working for a while and then dying I would suggest the problem isn't the card but your power supply (assuming you don't just pull the power and corrupt it...)

You can't go wrong with an official NOOBS card for £4, 8gb will hold whatever OS you want and I'm sure it will be noticeably quicker than a class 2 :)

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 pm

I tried using NOOBS as soon as I got my Pi but my wireless keyboard/mouse combo was incompatible with the interface for it so that was as far as I got with it. I never just pull the cord on the Pi since I learned from experience with Raspbmc and don't want to short anything on the board itself. I always make sure to run "sudo shutdown -h now" to shut the Pi down. As for the power supply, the recommended 5v~1A has worked fine since first acquiring the Pi so I know it's not that.

As for the 16gb card I'm guessing you were referring to, I set it up, it was working fine. I ran the sudo shutdown command and disconnected it after it was done but it never booted up a second time.

Could setting it up on Windows be my problem though as you say you use Linux and since my buddy's netbook was running a form of Linux as well?

suicidal_orange

Sun May 18, 2014 3:23 pm

There's no need to keep NOOBS on the card, it's just a nice card that's designed to be used as a hard drive not in a camera :)

The only experience I have of Windows flashing was in Windows 8, my friend used Win32DiskImager to flash an 8gb Sandisk extreme without any issues.

Just a thought, are you pulling the card out of the computer as soon as it's flashed or waiting for the light to stop flashing (or whatever your card reader does)? In Linux you can run "sync" to ensure everything's actually written to the drive, I've not heard of a Windows equivalent. If it's not finished writing that's a pretty good excuse for it not working!

Another possibility could be the cards are fakes? Unlikely with them only being 16gb but you never know...

You could always download a live linux cd and flash in that, who knows you might like it ;)

DougieLawson

Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm

You only need a mouse for a standard (no frills) install of NOOBS (so try without the keyboard connected). Any cheapo, crappo mouse will work (cheaper, crapper the better) funky wireless mice may have more trouble (although I've used a HP wireless mouse from Sainsburys with no problems).

Or try raspbian-ua-netinst, see http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=50310 for details.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

GTR2Fan

Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I've only ever used Windows (7 64-bit in my case) with Win32DiskImager for placing Pi images onto an assortment of microSD cards and haven't had a single failure in probably 50+ writes. I do always make a point of 'safely removing' the media in software before physically removing it though, which I'd imagine many people probably don't.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

DougieLawson

Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:I've only ever used Windows (7 64-bit in my case) with Win32DiskImager for placing Pi images onto an assortment of microSD cards and haven't had a single failure in probably 50+ writes. I do always make a point of 'safely removing' the media in software before physically removing it though, which I'd imagine many people probably don't.
+1, especially for the "safe remove".

On linux systems I use sudo eject /dev/sda to do that. On Windows it's the system tray icon for removable devices (or eject from the file manager).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 3:47 pm

After Win32DiskImager finishes writing to the card a little message pops up saying the process was completed. After I click OK on that message box I click EXIT on the Win32DiskImager and then remove the card.

I'm really cautious of buying any sd cards online due to fakes. Anything I get is store bought but with lower end brands it's still a gamble. All my Sandisk cards are officially licensed as far as I know. I was thinking of getting a NOOBS card, wiping it, and using it for the OS of my choosing but I was afraid that if I wiped it I'd have the same problem of not being able to use it on the Pi again.

I think you're right, I might just have to find a way to boot Linux on my Windows pc. I figured a Sandisk Ultra would boot up just fine since it's what I see a lot of people use but it's not always as simple as I've come to find.

GTR2Fan

Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm

DRFoltz wrote:After Win32DiskImager finishes writing to the card a little message pops up saying the process was completed. After I click OK on that message box I click EXIT on the Win32DiskImager and then remove the card.
No 'safe remove' then. That could be your culprit.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Just tried 'safe remove' method but I'm still staring at a blue screen. No dice on that.

GTR2Fan

Sun May 18, 2014 4:02 pm

DRFoltz wrote:Just tried 'safe remove' method but I'm still staring at a blue screen. No dice on that.
Then something else is amiss with either your Windows install or hardware I suspect.

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Hmm seems strange to me that it works fine on a 4gb sd card but not with anything higher. I can make 4gb cards all day. Never have a problem with larger sd cards for anything else but you all say Win32DiskImager works fine for you. I don't understand what my specific problem is or what I'm doing wrong.. I don't think it's an issue with Windows though. I think I am just gonna have to figure out how to get Linux on my laptop and hope that I can solve this issue with Linux instead.

GTR2Fan

Sun May 18, 2014 4:12 pm

DRFoltz wrote:I don't understand what my specific problem is or what I'm doing wrong.
Not using 'safe remove' I'd imagine. Is the blue screen you see an actual BSOD?

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Not BSOD. I meant on my tv. I stared at it for quite a while. Maybe 20-30 min. So why would an unsafe removal of a 4gb still boot up in the Pi no problem but not for anything larger?? Seems a bit redundant. Btw I just wrote the offline image of Raspbmc to one of my 4gb cards the way I always do and it only took a few seconds to boot up. I'm gonna try to figure out if updating the kernel in the boot folder like I had originally posted will work. Oh wait, I gotta update that /lib file on the second partition though..

suicidal_orange

Sun May 18, 2014 4:36 pm

What card reader are you using? 4gb was the limit for standard SD cards, any bigger and they are SDHC. If your card reader is old that would be a good reason (but doesn't explain how the 16gb worked once...)

Burngate

Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

From a quick skim of this topic, nobody seems to have mentioned the possibility of the SD card slot of your "HP Pavillion g7 Windows 8" being the problem - since you seem to have problems with >4GB cards.

Maybe a USB card reader would help?

Edit: Almost beaten to it!

Richard-TX

Sun May 18, 2014 4:41 pm

DRFoltz wrote:What process do you use to get the image on the card? What system (OS) are you setting them up on? As I've said I've tried setting up larger cards with Win32DiskImager but I can never seem to get anything larger than 4gb to successfully boot.
I use Win32DiskImager on Windows XP SP3.
I have never had any issue with that program. I have used it to create SD cards for the Rpi and the Beaglebone Black. There is one thing that is different however. I don't use Sandisk cards and given their checkered past, I am not about to. I use Toshiba Exceria cards. I have never had a problem with Toshiba cards despite daily power removals without a "proper shutdown".
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 5:01 pm

People you misunderstand, my sd card slot on my laptop works fine! I have no problem with larger cards for anything else. I have a Memorex 32gb sd card that is often inserted to the pc that holds all my Wii mods for my Wii and I never have a problem doing anything related to that on my laptop or the Wii itself. I use a Lexar 16gb card in my camera that is constantly inserted to the laptop to edit photos to later take to Wal-Mart to print or save them to my pc. I tried both of those cards as soon as I got the Pi as well. I know my SD slot on the laptop is fine. It's only when trying to use Win32DiskImager to write images on cards larger than 4gb for use with the Raspberry Pi that I have this problem. It might be something to do with Windows 8 since Windows XP sp3 seems to work for you. As for card preferences, I don't really care just whatever gets the job done homeboy!
Last edited by DRFoltz on Sun May 18, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Sun May 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Win32DiskImager works perfectly on all supported versions of Microsoft's Windows (including my Lenovo Win8.1 laptop). You could try a right click on the desktop icon and run it with "Run as administrator" privileges.

Does the RPi generate any pattern of flashes on the green LED when you boot? Or is it completely comatose? Do you get the rainbow splash screen?

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Sorry Doug that didn't work either. I tried running Win32DiskImager as administrator. I made sure to do a "safe eject" also. On the Pi end of things, it only displays the red led and the tv screen stays on the blue "no signal" channel. I don't deny the fact that Win32DiskImager works. As I said I can make 4gb cards all day! When it comes to big boy cards my 4gb Bulbasaur just doesn't stand a chance against your 32gb Charizard.

DougieLawson

Sun May 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Can you boot the RPi from a 4GB card (plain non-NOOBS version of Raspbian)?

If you can, get a USB SDCard reader (which costs less than £10/€10/$10) and you can use the RPi to write large SDCards for your RPi.

I store my images on my 2TB Zyxel NAS so I don't have any worries about where to stash the images. It's bit slow pulling it from an NFS share mounted on the RPi, but it works and I can always leave it running overnight.

MattHawkinsUK

Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Don't forget to format first with SDFormatter from official SD org site.

Never had a single issue with Raspbian image and win32diskimager. SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston ... 2-32GB ... Class 4-10. Only tend to use full size SD cards.

Also you can't trust flash memory from eBay. Buy from trustworthy retailers only.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

DRFoltz

Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Shoot I never even thought about doing that! I have an SD card reader and now that I have a powered usb hub as well it should be no problem. Thanks Dougie! Definitely will be easier than figuring out how to set up a Linux boot on Windows 8.

What OS are you running Win32DI on Matt?

Return to “Beginners”