bezzzzzer

Linking raspberry pi to laptop

Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi

I recently went on a raspberry pi course where we linked our raspberry pi to a laptop so used the keyboard, touchpad and screen for the raspberry pi, but I cannot seem to do it with my laptop at all!

If anybody could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

stevepdp

Re: Linking raspberry pi to laptop

Sat May 10, 2014 12:37 pm

It sounds like you had a shared network setup where the laptop (Mac, Linux, Windows?) was set up with crossover Ethernet and as a DHCP server and VNC client, and the Raspberry Pi ran a VNC server.

I use the following tutorial frequently for Mac and Linux setups http://www.interlockroc.org/2012/12/06/ ... -macgyver/.

Hope this points you in the right direction :-)

DougieLawson

Re: Linking raspberry pi to laptop

Sat May 10, 2014 3:03 pm

You don't need an ethernet cross-over cable. A straight, regular, normal 568A to 568A (or 568B to 568B) is auto sensed by the RPi.

You can predefine an ip address for the ethernet interface with ip=169.254.3.14 on the end of /boot/cmdline.txt (beware it can cause the kernel boot to hang if there's no active cable connected to the interface, so take it out when you switch to using WiFi).

Plug the other end into your Windows system and it will (automagically) assign a 169.245.xxx.yyy address to the Windows end. You can then use PuTTY to connect to 169.254.3.14.

I use that method all the time as a quick way to work with my RPi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Beginners”